Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 08:53 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Obamacare for one.

Quantitative Easing, which is really Bernake for another.

Promotion of illegal alien parasite, trespass.

Just to name a few that hit me the most.
Some more:

Subsidies to eliminate corporate taxes for GE, helping to keep little guys from competing on alternative energy sources.

Moratorium on offshore oil to elevate foreign dependence and price/bbl volatility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 08:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
IRS Weighs New Rules on Tax Preparers - WSJ.com

Environmental regulations help keep out small biz refineries also. ExxonMobil WIN!
Your link is referring to regulations not yet in place.

What environmental regulations have been implemented since Obama took office/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Obamacare for one.

Quantitative Easing, which is really Bernake for another.

Promotion of illegal alien parasite, trespass.

Just to name a few that hit me the most.
Obamacare should help small businesses by giving tax credits for purchasing insurance.

Thanks for being specific about the other two, which, truthfully, I have never heard of. Are these new?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:56 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Offshore drilling moratorium.

Quote:
Obamacare should help small businesses by giving tax credits for purchasing insurance.
Payable by small business corporate taxes. Makes sense to me.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Thanks for being specific about the other two, which, truthfully, I have never heard of. Are these new?

I don't supply health insurance for any of my employees now!
I have never been forced to have employment entitlements, for any help before. Now it is going to add to the bottom line.

Meaning a few more will be told they no longer have a job, to make up for the loss of revenue, that Obamacare mandates that I have health insurance on all my employees that I must have, or go back to being solo, without any employees. Either way, I'm in it to feed my family, not to give someone a job.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:51 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,145,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Lets look at what the guy said .....
My point is (as if you did not know), is that if he wants his business to be MORE successful, he needs to take risks. Plain and simple. Or ... he can just continue being successful.
He needs to take rational, market related risks. Government regulation does not come under that heading. It's arbitrary and often has nothing to do with reality. A regulations whole purpose might be to prop up some businesses at the expense and destruction of others.

Last edited by laysayfair; 06-12-2011 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-12-2011, 10:02 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
So he wants a guarantee huh? His 'widget' business could fall flat on its face tomorrow. The fact that his business is looking good for the future is all he should need to hire right now. There are no guarantees. Risk/Reward.

Quote from the movie Tommy Boy
(paraphrasing)

customer: Why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy Boy: Because they know they sold you a guaranteed piece of *****(crap). If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed I will.
I disagree with your premiss. He doesn't want a guarantee, he just wants to know what the rules are. If the rules keep changing as rapidly as they have been he cannot plan. There are too many uncertainties today, taxes, regulations, health care costs etc.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:05 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
This is why Obama's recovery is failing !
Its why I'm contracting out almost every one of my employees.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Lets look at what the guy said .....
My point is (as if you did not know), is that if he wants his business to be MORE successful, he needs to take risks. Plain and simple. Or ... he can just continue being successful.
Clearly you dont run a business and have never studied business. There is a difference between gambling, which is what is needed in todays economy, and the ability to take a calculated risk, which cant be calculated until one knows the costs. Its impossible to calculate todays costs, let alone tomorrows, and I dont gamble.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its why I'm contracting out almost every one of my employees.
We are useing 1099's too.

I will pay in cash if I have to.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:09 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Clearly you dont run a business and have never studied business. There is a difference between gambling, which is what is needed in todays economy, and the ability to take a calculated risk, which cant be calculated until one knows the costs. Its impossible to calculate todays costs, let alone tomorrows, and I dont gamble.
Well there's always somewhat of a gamble involved. You gamble every time you step outside of your house. The fundamental point here is that government is increasing the risk substantially, and obviously, when you increase risk, the risk to reward ratio goes down, and businesses don't take as much action as they otherwise would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies