Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:35 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times

Advertisements

As a Democrat, I would love to see Herman Cain win the GOP nomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 01:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The previous poll on this subject had a supermajority (~2/3) saying it was racist, and the majority rules in the court of public opinion.

Back to the topic at hand. Is Cain a U-T for telling his drivers to avoid these areas?
So you wanna pre-empt us black folks from calling him an Uncle Tom by doing it yourself in anticipation that we were going to do it anyway?

LMAO.... You're funny.

If i thought he was an Uncle Tom, i'd say so. I don't give a damn where he delivers his pizza's to. His business. That has NOTHING to do with being an Uncle Tom. The definition of the term is narrower than what you think it is...obviously. Millions of black people all over America avoid potentially dangerous neighborhoods all the time. If that makes someone an Uncle Tom, then there are a lot more UT's than i thought there were.

Find out what Tomming is first before making such a silly assumption.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Right, back to the topic. I wouldn't call Cain an Uncle Tom just because he wouldn't deliever pizzas to a certain area. I would call him a person who doesn't live up to the universal business practice of serving those who are willing to pay for his services.

Calling a black man an Uncle Tom would come from something a lot more serious. Not refusing to sell pizzas to certain neighborhoods isn't as bad as, say, locking up several INNOCENT blacks only to boost your resume as a politician.
Yea, it's pretty obvious that the guy has no idea of the proper usage of Uncle Tom.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
It's no different than the N word, so out of respect it should be.
It's far different. Not even close to being the same word.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:43 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
LOL....another phrase that only black people can decide when it is to be used???

Old 06-14-2011, 01:56 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, it's pretty obvious that the guy has no idea of the proper usage of Uncle Tom.
What is the "proper usage" of the phrase?

Old 06-14-2011, 02:04 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Herman Cain admits he didn't let his drivers deliver to a violent black neighborhood - AR15.COM

Even though Cain said he said not to deliver to the WORST parts of town, not to the whole area. Doesn't matter. His accent is too folksy and he's too personable to be labeled as a U-T by racists.
LOL I have managed in pizza before and we also did not allow our drivers to deliver to bad neighborhoods. It's not b/c the majority of the people there were black, it's b/c the police literally told us not to go in there due to a high crime rate. We had one driver get jumped before we were told that, he had to go to the hospital and his money was stolen (luckily it was only about $15, if I recall). He was jumped by four black youth who lived in that apartment complex. We continued to go to that neighborhood after the attack and the police ended up following all the drivers in there when they saw them, to ensure nothing happened to them. Finally, the cops told us that we could not go in there anymore b/c it was taking up too much of their time to have to basically play security for the drivers.

This is a pretty common occurrence for delivery places. When I was a driver myself, there were places we wouldn't go to at night and places that we even would not go in daytime. These were the projects, basically, the ghettos, and they were high crime. It just so happens that blacks happen to inhabit those neighborhoods, moreso than whites.

It's not racist at all to protect the drivers and follow police instructions.

I'm just waiting for Cain to be called an Uncle Tom. I do agree that his southern accent might lessen this but I definitely think some will still fingerpoint and name call despite this, and despite using common sense.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:11 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I would call him a person who doesn't live up to the universal business practice of serving those who are willing to pay for his services.
I call BS on this. These people can still get carryout. It's a matter of safety for the drivers. It's not a bad business practice to not serve those who are willing to pay if it means someone could potentially be killed by serving them.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:57 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
It's no different than the N word, so out of respect it should be.
The hell it is.

Uncle Tom is used for a self-hating black person who sells out at the drop of a hat.

N***er/N***a is used as to make one feel less human. It's used to call someone stupid or ignorant. Ironically, it's also used as a term of endearment, which is something else 'Uncle Tom' is NOT used for, so trust me, it's different.

As someone who actually represents black people and been around black people all his life, I can tell you for sure, there's a difference.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:00 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I call BS on this. These people can still get carryout. It's a matter of safety for the drivers. It's not a bad business practice to not serve those who are willing to pay if it means someone could potentially be killed by serving them.
Again, can they NOT get killed in a low crime area?

Low crime doesn't mean NO crime....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies