Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever had an abortion?
Yes 52 18.98%
No 89 32.48%
N/A- I'm a man & will never be pregnant. 133 48.54%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:59 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times

Advertisements

Why are abortion advocates still trying to justify and explain themselves after it's been the law of the land for 35 years? Can anyone answer that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 06:59 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I've already told you what the ultimate agenda is, weed control, population control, save the planet. You are just going along with what you've been taught, and actually think you are assisting the downtrodden by making life easy for them - taking the burdens of responsibility off their shoulders. It just doesn't work that way. When people accomplish things on their own, they gain self esteem. When people can think for themselves, they acquire self-respect. As long as you keep them identifying as a group, you can use them to your advantage. That is why liberals love to label people, it allows you control over thoughts and behavior.
Only a progressive would come up with the concept of "free speech zones" on a university campus.
Labelling the tea party as old white racist tea baggers, allows people like you to dismiss the entire movement as a bunch of fools. The reality is that tea partiers are independents of any political party, they just want less government and freedom restored.
PP isn't going to say only blacks apply, their door is open to killing as many babies as possible. I noted that the gov't isn't even maintaining statistics on the numbers of abortions anymore. I believe the last count was 2008. Not that they were accurate anyway, but they did give us some idea. Whatever it is, it's too many.
You'll be surprised to hear that I too worry about overpopulation of the planet. However, killing children is not the answer. A more enlightened populace might be. Certainly a resurgence of self-respect and modesty would be an improvement. What every happened to valuing intellect over cup size?

I don't think you are evil, or women that choose abortion are evil. We have become an overly permissive society. Babies should not have to pay the price for our mistakes.
It is late, and I'm tired. Hope this makes some sense.
News flash: overpopulation of the planet is not something I've ever, ever thought about regarding the abortion issue. Not now and not when I first became interested in the issue back before Roe vs Wade became the law of the land. I've never ever heard another Pro-Choice person mention population control or single out the black community when discussing the topic and trust me, I used to be a card carrying member of the movement to legalize abortion. It's always been about the individual stories of the women/couples. So cut the "eugenics of the black race" crap. No one is buying it. For me, I do not want to return to the coat hanger days where young teens like my friend die from back alley abortions---taken there, by the way, by her very pious, incestuous father who impregnated her. Yes, that nice deacon of his church caused his own daughter's death back in the mythical, father-knows-best 50s.

You talk about an overly permissive society and in some ways I might even agree with you on that point but don't for one minute think that abortions were not performed back in the Mayberry of your idealized 50s. Why do you think the legalizing of abortion, back then, had so much support growing over time? People were sick of seeing their daughters, friends, wives, and sisters die or get mangled up inside from the back alley abortions. Abortion is not new since Roe vs Wade. Every society on earth has preformed them starting from Bible times when dropping rocks on the belly was the preferred method.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 07-05-2011 at 07:08 AM..

Old 07-05-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Why are abortion advocates still trying to justify and explain themselves after it's been the law of the land for 35 years? Can anyone answer that?
Easy. Because it's a lie that Pro-Choicers are "still trying to justify and explain" ourselves. What we're trying to do is protect the rights of all women from the onslaught of people like you who are trying to chip away at the law. What you call "justify" I call trying to educate some of the younger Pro-Lifers who don't remember what it was like before Roe vs Wade, who try to paint the women/couples who make the hard choice to end a pregnancy as evil monsters.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:12 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Easy. Because it's a lie that Pro-Choicers are "still trying to justify and explain" ourselves. What we're trying to do is protect the rights of all women from the onslaught of people like you who trying to chip away at the law. What you call "justify" I call trying to educate some of the younger Pro-Lifers who don't remember what it was like before Roe vs Wade.
Yes you are. Your rights are already being protected. The Surpeme court already ruled on it, what part of that don't you understand? It's a legal procedure and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Like I said, you've won the legal battle, but quit trying to mask it as some sort of women's rights issue, simply put, you are murdering your child.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Why are pro-lifers still trying to control other women's reproductive choices after it's been the law of the land for 35 years? Can anyone answer that?

Old 07-05-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Yes you are. Your rights are already being protected. The Surpeme court already ruled on it, what part of that don't you understand? It's a legal procedure and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Like I said, you've won the legal battle, but quit trying to mask it as some sort of women's rights issue, simply put, you are murdering your child.
Oh, ya, and Supreme Court rulings have never been overturned or chipped away at on a state level, have they. You Right-to-Lifers would just love it if everyone on the Pro-Choice side of the issue would just sit back and let you continue to make it harder and harder for women to access a legal procedure like what they are doing in Kansas. How naive to you think we are regarding the marching orders in the Pro-Life handbook? Chip, chip, chip....... Do you not understand where all the money goes when you donate to Pro-Life? Do you not understand what their end game goal is? If women's reproductive right are so set in cement as you claim, why is there even an organized effort to place more and more restrictions on the law?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/article/Analysis-Kan-abortion-rules-get-more-detailed-1440932.php#page-1 (broken link)

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 07-05-2011 at 07:51 AM..

Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times
Yes. 1997. Married, 29-year-old primigravida. Prenatal diagnosis of anencephaly. Induced at 21-weeks gestation for termination.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 07-05-2011 at 08:40 AM..

Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,877,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Your post proves my point. It was all about convenience with no thought to the innocent life. Catholic Charities would have adopted that baby to a loving home so that your "ex" girlfriend didn't ruin "her life". It was ok to kill that baby out of selfishness though in your mind and that of your "ex" as long as you were not inconvenienced.

Pathetic!
It's because we didn't want the kid. What dont you get. You are stubborn to listen to what I have to say. Who wants a kid at a young age? We have a whole life ahead of us. We should enjoy it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Good for you. A lot of the kids you know probably have some form of STD too, you don't have to follow that path.
Keep in mind that girls lie, and they forget to take their pill. The only way to be completely safe is to show restraint until you feel you are ready. I know that is not hip, but it is true. Maybe you won't be so lucky with the next girl, she just may decide she wants it. Then what will you do?

Tony, pay attention to the facts below:
I'm not trying to scare you, I just want you to be aware. An orgasm lasts seconds, is it really worth the risk?

CONTRACEPTIVE USE
• Fifty-four percent of women who have abortions had used a contraceptive method (usually the condom or the pill) during the month they became pregnant. Among those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users report having used their method inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users report correct use.[8]
• Forty-six percent of women who have abortions had not used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant. Of these women, 33% had perceived themselves to be at low risk for pregnancy, 32% had had concerns about contraceptive methods, 26% had had unexpected sex and 1% had been forced to have sex.[8]
• Eight percent of women who have abortions have never used a method of birth control; nonuse is greatest among those who are young, poor, black, Hispanic or less educated.[8]
• About half of unintended pregnancies occur among the 11% of women who are at risk for unintended pregnancy but are not using contraceptives. Most of these women have practiced contraception in the past.[1,9]
The best thing to do is to lay off having sex for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
why should this young woman carry a child, go through labor and delivery then give the baby away to someone? just a few posts up are posts with examples of how adoption isn't always a great thing for the child. this young woman is not an incubator for childless couples. at the point of her abortion it was a fetus and not a baby, no one should have to carry to term a pregnancy they do not want.
100 percent agree. A lot of people are stubborn and think what's good for them. I'm catholic but I don't care what the catholic church says about abortion. It depends on what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
YES! It's a convenience to be able to correct mistakes at a very young age so you don't suffer for it the rest of your life...NOR does the child!. It's the smart thing to do.

They did NOT kill any baby and you persecuting them as her scumbag parents are doing could lead to mental anguish and even suicide which I'm SURE YOU WANT ...because it's all about punishment isn't it!
She will not commit suicide. She is a much stronger person than that. Her parents believe what the Catholic church says about abortion. I think that's stupid imo.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:46 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,877,566 times
I look at it this way. I think it's fine to get an abortion early in the pregnancy but when it starts to get later in the pregnancy, you shouldn't have it done. There were a couple of girls with big bellies at the place last week.They were denied of the abortion because they had babies already in their stomachs.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:47 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
It's because we didn't want the kid. What dont you get. You are stubborn to listen to what I have to say. Who wants a kid at a young age? We have a whole life ahead of us. We should enjoy it now.[snip].
I don't like asking personal questions, but you don't seem to mind.

Had you and the ex talked about the possibility of pregnancy, or did it never cross your minds ? Is she your 'ex' because of the pregnancy ?

btw, I think you made the right decision and wish you both well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies