Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever had an abortion?
Yes 52 18.98%
No 89 32.48%
N/A- I'm a man & will never be pregnant. 133 48.54%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:40 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
May I suggest that YOU research Ron Paul's connection with and admiration of Ayn Rand.
Yes, both Libertarians. Ron Paul wants to repeal Roe v Wade.
Ron Paul Speaking:
"Under the 9th and 10th amendments, all authority over matters not specifically addressed in the Constitution remains with state legislatures. Therefore the federal government has no authority whatsoever to involve itself in the abortion issue. So while Roe v. Wade is invalid, a federal law banning abortion across all 50 states would be equally invalid."
Ron Paul & Roe v Wade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 07:15 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
That's the problem with schools these day, consider yourself "indoctrinated".
Might I suggest Ayn Rand for your next project.
Taking electives for the pure pleasure of learning is now indoctrination. I'll write that down so I don't forget it. But I'll skip more reading on Ayn Rand, thank you very much. I can't stand most of her me-first, egoistical philosophies.

Quote:
Yes, both Libertarians. Ron Paul wants to repeal Roe v Wade.
Ron Paul Speaking:
"Under the 9th and 10th amendments, all authority over matters not specifically addressed in the Constitution remains with state legislatures. Therefore the federal government has no authority whatsoever to involve itself in the abortion issue. So while Roe v. Wade is invalid, a federal law banning abortion across all 50 states would be equally invalid."
Ron Paul & Roe v Wade
I can't believe you admire Ayn Rand just because she and Ron Paul are/were both libertarians. She was a militant atheist who believed in the power of selfhness and of building personal wealth as the greatest goal in life. It's also said that there would be no libertarian party without her, her biggest hit with the Ron Paul crowd, no doubt. (He's been known to quote her.) This is what she said about abortion:

"Never mind the vicious nonsense of claiming that an embryo has a 'right to life.' A piece of protoplasm has no rights -— and no life in the human sense of the term. One may argue about the later stages of a pregnancy, but the essential issue concerns only the first three months. To equate a potential with an actual, is vicious; to advocate the sacrifice of the latter to the former, is unspeakable."

"An embryo has no rights. Rights do not pertain to a potential, only to an actual being. A child cannot acquire any rights until it is born. The living take precedence over the not-yet-living (or the unborn)."

Abortion — Ayn*Rand Lexicon

Old 07-06-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Taking electives for the pure pleasure of learning is now indoctrination. I'll write that down so I don't forget it. But I'll skip more reading on Ayn Rand, thank you very much. I can't stand most of her me-first, egoistical philosophies.

I can't believe you admire Ayn Rand just because she and Ron Paul are/were both libertarians. She was a militant atheist who believed in the power of selfhness and of building personal wealth as the greatest goal in life. It's also said that there would be no libertarian party without her, her biggest hit with the Ron Paul crowd, no doubt. (He's been known to quote her.) This is what she said about abortion:

"Never mind the vicious nonsense of claiming that an embryo has a 'right to life.' A piece of protoplasm has no rights -— and no life in the human sense of the term. One may argue about the later stages of a pregnancy, but the essential issue concerns only the first three months. To equate a potential with an actual, is vicious; to advocate the sacrifice of the latter to the former, is unspeakable."

"An embryo has no rights. Rights do not pertain to a potential, only to an actual being. A child cannot acquire any rights until it is born. The living take precedence over the not-yet-living (or the unborn)."

Abortion — Ayn*Rand Lexicon
yes, Libertarians disagree about the extent of freedoms for the individual under the desire for smaller governmnet. Ron Paul is a moderate compared to Rand, yet considered an extremist for his strict adherence to the Constitution and Federalism. Ron Paul is a Christian, and a doctor that brought babies into this world, so his view clashes with that of atheists. However, whatever their personal views, they would agree that it is not the federal governments business.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
yes, Libertarians disagree about the extent of freedoms for the individual under the desire for smaller governmnet. Ron Paul is a moderate compared to Rand, yet considered an extremist for his strict adherence to the Constitution and Federalism. Ron Paul is a Christian, and a doctor that brought babies into this world, so his view clashes with that of atheists. However, whatever their personal views, they would agree that it is not the federal governments business.
You are assuming that atheists are all Pro-Choice which isn't true by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You are assuming that atheists are all Pro-Choice which isn't true by any stretch of the imagination.
I didn't say that - I was referring to Ron Pauls' views as a Christian and a doctor. I don't believe atheists are Christians.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that - I was referring to Ron Pauls' views as a Christian and a doctor. I don't believe atheists are Christians.
Read my post again. I didn't say you believe atheists are Christians. I said,
Quote:
"You are assuming that atheists are all Pro-Choice which isn't true by any stretch of the imagination."
i.e. There are atheists who don't believe in abortion.

That was in reply to you're saying:

Quote:
Ron Paul is a Christian, and a doctor that brought babies into this world, so his view clashes with that of atheists.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:08 PM

18,401 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
there isn't a pro choice woman who would vote for a anti choice politician. many more on both sides of the issue wouldn't vote for a third party running as it equates to throwing your vote away.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:38 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
there isn't a pro choice woman who would vote for a anti choice politician. many more on both sides of the issue wouldn't vote for a third party running as it equates to throwing your vote away.
Exactly. I would never vote for Ron Paul because of his views on abortion.

State governmnet, anymore than federal government, has no business taking away a woman's choice.

The Supreme Court got it right.....abortion is a PERSONAL decision.

And you are also right about voting third party....it is throwing your vote away.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Exactly. I would never vote for Ron Paul because of his views on abortion............
Yeah, a pro-life gynocologist who upholds the US Constitution with every vote on record is a real threat to women's reproductive rights.

FAIL!

Old 07-06-2011, 03:58 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yeah, a pro-life gynocologist who upholds the US Constitution with every vote on record is a real threat to women's reproductive rights.

FAIL!
If he does not want to uphold the Supreme Court's decision giving me the right to abort.....he certainly IS a threat to my reproductive rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies