Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Kudos to the Republicans who came forward to vote in favor of this, realizing finally that it was about civil rights, not religious beliefs.

YES. I really want to emphasize this. Obviously I am one of the more outspoken Democrats here, but I have so much appreciation for the 4 Republicans who voted for this. They proved themselves brave and independent thinkers. It took real guts to do what they did

Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yeah, right. It'll be years before a repeal can even be considered. Your outrage almost sounds like a caricature of a social conservative. Are you sure you're really a liberal Democrat?
It won't be repealed, either. Democrats will ALWAYS have a supermajority in the state assembly, and there is no California-style proposition process in New York that could repeal this. Gay marriage is here to stay in New York.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
If gay marriage were a civil right, I would agree. Gay marriage is not a right. It is a concession for a special group of people. There is no purpose for gay marriage. It does NOTHING to propel our country forward.

I know what marriage means to me and Americans. No need to go browsing through Wikipedia to give some tired encyclopedia-version detailing a union I already have.
ALL marriage is a concession.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:17 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryFriend View Post
That is incorrect. I would like to see some sources for that. WW2? Japan was not destroyed. 2 partly destroyed cities out of several thousand ?
US Relationship with Japan - Japan and United States Relations

Close Cooperation:

The period after the San Francisco treaty has been characterized by close cooperation between both countries, with 47,000 US military servicemen remaining in Japan by invitation of the Japanese government. Economic cooperation has also been played a large role in the relationship with the US providing Japan with significant amounts of aid in the post-war periods as Japan became an ally in the Cold War. The partnership has resulted in the reemergence of the Japanese economy which remains one of the strongest economies in the region.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I did the math, 12% of Americans now live in states where this is legal. This amount has doubled tonight. There are many battles ahead, but we're definitely on the right track.
And if you add in civil unions, then it's something like 40% of Americans now live in places where same-sex unions are legally recognized.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And if you add in civil unions, then it's something like 40% of Americans now live in places where same-sex unions are legally recognized.
still waiting on the apocalypse that the fundamentalists promised if gays were ever treated as human beings

Old 06-24-2011, 11:21 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
US Relationship with Japan - Japan and United States Relations

Close Cooperation:

The period after the San Francisco treaty has been characterized by close cooperation between both countries, with 47,000 US military servicemen remaining in Japan by invitation of the Japanese government. Economic cooperation has also been played a large role in the relationship with the US providing Japan with significant amounts of aid in the post-war periods as Japan became an ally in the Cold War. The partnership has resulted in the reemergence of the Japanese economy which remains one of the strongest economies in the region.

Your statement was incorrect. And this website is all you have? Japan had high GDP even before WW2. Higher than any other in the region.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
It won't be repealed, either. Democrats will ALWAYS have a supermajority in the state assembly, and there is no California-style proposition process in New York that could repeal this. Gay marriage is here to stay in New York.
Really? Until Almighty God does what he did to Sodom and Gomorrah.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
still waiting on the apocalypse that the fundamentalists promised if gays were ever treated as human beings
It happening right before your very eyes. Global warming, wars all in the Middle East, Earthquakes, Tsunami's, Tornadoes...etc. etc.

We still don't have a cure for AID's or vaccine to prevent the spread of HIV now do we?

Only remedies.

Its a fact the highest risk people are homosexuals, Blacks then Hispanics, & intravenous drug users.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Really? Until Almighty God does what he did to Sodom and Gomorrah.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies