Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:28 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,085,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
Well, just like consumers assess whether they're buying a lemon of a car or a money-pit of a house, we trust them to assess the quality of the education that they purchase. Unfortunately, people don't spend as much time making that assessment when they're not the ones footing the bill.

These online colleges aren't necessarily bad, especially for those who don't have the option of attending a traditional college. There's a reason that a lot of servicemen attend online colleges - they move around a lot. They're also often stationed in areas where there are no education options. Still one has to realize that brick-and-mortar schools tend to have better reputations amongst employers. Perhaps the military should discuss accreditation with servicemen, but as is just about everything else in your life, it's buyer-beware. Non-accredited schools serve a purpose, and they may be exactly what a prospective student is looking for.

Again, it's easy to waste money on education - especially if someone else is footing the bill. I see no problem with for-profit schools. The New York School of Visual Arts, is an example of a for-profit school which offers a well-recognized, quality education. Another example would be Le Cordon Bleu, the culinary college.
I agree with most of what you say, but you do have to realize, that many of the online schools, like a couple that are mentioned in the article, if you obtain a degree from them, the only thing the degree with good for is to wipe your butt. Most employers will not recognize the degree, and also other colleges will not recognize the degree.

As for the traveling and all, most accredited colleges offer online courses also now.

Many people just look for a quick way to accomplish something that takes time and effort to complete. It is a McDonalds phenomenon. I want it quick and I want it now, I don't care if it is sub par as long as I get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 11:52 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,965,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
For profit colleges are aggressively recruiting veterans in order to take advantage of the $$$ from their GI bill. Unfortunately, these veterans find their degrees worthless and their funding exhausted.

Another example of corporate greed taking advantage of American citizens and tax dollars!

Veterans exploited by for-profit colleges

Educating Sergeant Pantzke - Video | FRONTLINE | PBS
Very interesting show, I watched it also, it is actually been going on for a long time now and the military has been aware and done little, kinda sad really.
Good to see some here watch educational and informative shows, it is obvious many do not.
Casper

Old 06-29-2011, 11:54 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,085,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Very interesting show, I watched it also, it is actually been going on for a long time now and the military has been aware and done little, kinda sad really.
Good to see some here watch educational and informative shows, it is obvious many do not.
Casper
What can the military do? Tell them they are not allowed to attend or enroll with a school they want to?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:06 PM

20,495 posts, read 12,412,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Plenty of other sources.

Are For-Profit Colleges Squeezing Veterans? | NBC 4i

For-profit colleges cashing in as vets struggle to get degrees - Boston.com (http://articles.boston.com/2010-09-26/news/29299522_1_college-grants-college-students-gi-bill - broken link)

Vets Failing Hazards GI Bill For-Profit Schools

Just google, "For profit colleges take advantage of veterans."
are you sure you arent Cynthia McKenney?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,471,777 times
While there are some shenanigans going on in the for profit college world, I find it interesting that the same people who profess to be so concerned about people getting a return on their education investment at these instituions seem to not care about the same problems with non-profit colleges. How many graduates with expensive liberal arts degrees from private colleges are working in low paying jobs? What about all the under qualified kids who go to non profit colleges and drop out with debt and no degree or graduate with debt and poor job prospects?

Of course I'm sure this blindness to the problems at non-profits have nothing to do with the fact that professors and administrators from these schools vote and donate overwehlmingly democrat.

I mean there's no way this is just another example of a specail interest group using government to disadvantage a competior. I'm sure the beknighted members of academia would never do such a thing

Old 06-29-2011, 12:39 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,336,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Many people just look for a quick way to accomplish something that takes time and effort to complete. It is a McDonalds phenomenon. I want it quick and I want it now, I don't care if it is sub par as long as I get it.
...and people who make bad investments get poor returns. That's life. The market rewards good investments, not poor ones (in education and otherwise). People get equally worthless degrees from state-run or non-profit colleges.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:44 PM

45,258 posts, read 26,510,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So you are against the GI Bill?
Yes.
Don't like it, don't enlist.
I don't owe you squat because of your choice.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:50 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,599,751 times
I'm sorry they made bad choices, but after paying for their education, I don't see why the taxpayers should feel like they wronged the veterans. They need to do some research just like anyone else. A quick check of Newsweek's annual rankings should help.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:52 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,965,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
What can the military do? Tell them they are not allowed to attend or enroll with a school they want to?
They can warn them, they also control the GI Bill benefits being used, not to mention allowing them to advertise on military related sights, just for starters.
Casper

Old 06-29-2011, 01:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,859,299 times
The point is that these for profit schools have intentionally targeted veterans to take advantage of their GI bill funding. These schools have hired extra recruiters for the specific purpose of deceiving these veterans of war into enrolling.

It is difficult to discern the quality of an institute of higher learning if one has been out of the academic environment for some time as veterans have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies