Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times

Advertisements

Rules may tighten in regulating for-profit colleges - The Denver Post

I personally think this is a good thing for consumers.

I think consumers bear some responsibility in researching these "colleges" and making sure they are making the right choice.
However, government funds are being used (which I don't understand...) in order for some students to attend these "colleges" so we do have an interest in making sure they are offering a legitimate education and abiding by the same rules as other colleges.

I have a cousin who attended University of Phoenix and feels like it wasn't worth it. The professors barely taught and wanted a lot of group work. The University mainly seemed more interested in making more money than teaching.

I have a friend who teaches for University of Phoenix and constantly complains about the quality (or lack thereof) of many of his students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 08:47 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,559,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

I think consumers bear some responsibility in researching these "colleges" and making sure they are making the right choice.
However, government funds are being used (which I don't understand...) in order for some students to attend these "colleges" so we do have an interest in making sure they are offering a legitimate education and abiding by the same rules as other colleges.

I ........
Not all private for-profit colleges take government funds (including refusal to take federal student loans - some have endowments to make loans from so they can refuse the federal influence).. if they take no government funds then should they still be regulated?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:50 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Not all private for-profit colleges take government funds (including refusal to take federal student loans - some have endowments to make loans from so they can refuse the federal influence).. if they take no government funds then should they still be regulated?
Yeah, I realize not every for profit college takes government funds.

I can see both sides in terms of regulating or not regulating for profit colleges that take government money.

What really makes me mad is that some of these rip off "colleges" are receiving government funds in the first place.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
Have you ever been to a non-profit public university. They make you do a crap-load of group work. It is a waste!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

I have a cousin who attended University of Phoenix and feels like it wasn't worth it. The professors barely taught and wanted a lot of group work. The University mainly seemed more interested in making more money than teaching.

I have a friend who teaches for University of Phoenix and constantly complains about the quality (or lack thereof) of many of his students.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:42 AM

14 posts, read 28,402 times
The University of Phoenix is a perfectly fine school. I have been going there for two years now and have no complaints. I have been to state schools as well, and the education I recieve is no different. People get all caught up on where they are going to school, that it's not good enough, that it's not the best, etc. Experience counts more than anything. Yes, there is a pecking order (Harvard, Yale, Brown, etc.) in higher education, but a degree is a degree for most jobs. It merely unlocks the door, and your experience/personality gets you the job. UoP has been around for 30 years or so. If nobody who graduated from the school got a decent paying job out of it, there would be no possible way they'd still be around, or as big as they are. As far as changes in regulation are concered, the 8% of income, gainful employment rule is bogus. I agree that regulation is needed, but that 8% rule should apply to all Universities, not just the for-profits. I hear of people graduating from a for-profit nursing school and the degree isnt properly accredited, the grad has 50k in student loans and is no better off than they were before they got the degree. My sister, who attended a state university, will have about 80k when she is done with her Bachelors.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:08 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellph123 View Post
The University of Phoenix is a perfectly fine school. I have been going there for two years now and have no complaints. I have been to state schools as well, and the education I recieve is no different. People get all caught up on where they are going to school, that it's not good enough, that it's not the best, etc. Experience counts more than anything. Yes, there is a pecking order (Harvard, Yale, Brown, etc.) in higher education, but a degree is a degree for most jobs. It merely unlocks the door, and your experience/personality gets you the job. UoP has been around for 30 years or so. If nobody who graduated from the school got a decent paying job out of it, there would be no possible way they'd still be around, or as big as they are. As far as changes in regulation are concered, the 8% of income, gainful employment rule is bogus. I agree that regulation is needed, but that 8% rule should apply to all Universities, not just the for-profits. I hear of people graduating from a for-profit nursing school and the degree isnt properly accredited, the grad has 50k in student loans and is no better off than they were before they got the degree. My sister, who attended a state university, will have about 80k when she is done with her Bachelors.
The degrees are not the same though... I know at my company we won't hire anyone with a degree from a for profit school. Kaplan, DeVry, UoP etc. are automatically put in the paper shredder.

I know many other companies that are the same way.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
These schools are just another way for private corporations to generate dividends from government money. IMHO any student that elects to attend one of these diploma mills should not receive government funding. I consider charter high Schools to be part of the same waste of government money.

We also need to replace government college loans with government college grants to qualified applicants. Another possibility is to repay college loans with a permanent additional income tax of 5% or so. That way the financially successful would always pay a fair proportion of their income and some one making far less would pay less.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:22 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The degrees are not the same though... I know at my company we won't hire anyone with a degree from a for profit school. Kaplan, DeVry, UoP etc. are automatically put in the paper shredder.

I know many other companies that are the same way.
You're speaking from an anecdotal perspective. My old company wouldn't hire anyone from Harvard after the unfortunate incident with a psychology graduate from there. Goes both ways. While my degree isn't from a place like this, if I were running a small business I wouldn't hesitate to junk a resume from someone who went to a name recognize school and had the complementary attitude to go along with it.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:41 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I think your one incident with one student is anecdotal . That doesn't jive as they say with the hiring and success of Harvard graduates hired. Sounds like a hirng failure of your company really more than a overall evauation of schools. Certainly the numbers of top positons in successful companies show otherwise.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:54 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
You're speaking from an anecdotal perspective. My old company wouldn't hire anyone from Harvard after the unfortunate incident with a psychology graduate from there. Goes both ways. While my degree isn't from a place like this, if I were running a small business I wouldn't hesitate to junk a resume from someone who went to a name recognize school and had the complementary attitude to go along with it.
They had one single issue with a person from a HIGHLY recognized school with a stellar reputation and they're willing to junk everyone else's resumes from that school? That just sounds silly.

There are MANY companies that don't recognize diploma mill (which is essentially what the for profit places are) degrees. I don't know many who would refuse a Harvard graduate though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies