Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 05:03 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
leftist inspired violence? In your warped right wing world, I suppose a nice day out in the park like this is what you call violence:

Glenn Beck Catches a Movie in the Park
If that is what you consider violence on the left then liberals must be angels.

On the other hand, don't get me started on right wing violence. Ever heard of Hitler?
Once again, you're going against your OP where you spoke out in support of the harassment of those you disagree with. Whether it happened at this point is irrelevant, because you've made yourself a shining example of leftist intolerance.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:12 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,566,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Tyranny of the majority is actually a very common phrase and it does not indicate a particular position on the issue in question; you should know this if you want to talk politics.

For example, gay marriage. If 51% of people are against it, should they be able to rule over the 49% that are for it? If they were, that would be tyranny of the majority. I would not agree in the tyranny of that 51%, and I have a feeling you would agree with me.

Tyranny of the majority allows the majority to oppress the minority.

Also, just so you know - Health Care Law - Rasmussen Reports™
Sounds like the situation during the Bush Regime when half the country vehemently opposed him but he still try to rule like an emperor.

Obama won the presidency with an electoral landslide. Bush on the other hand came into office with one of the tiniest margins of victory of any President in US history. In fact he lost the popular vote in the 2000 election; therefore he was not elected by a majority of the people. If there was ever an example of "tyranny of the majority" as you define it, it would have to apply to the last administration not this one.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Sounds like the situation during the Bush Regime when half the country vehemently opposed him but he still try to rule like an emperor.

Obama won the presidency with an electoral landslide. Bush on the other hand came into office with one of the tiniest margins of victory of any President in US history. In fact he lost the popular vote in the 2000 election; therefore he was not elected by a majority of the people. If there was ever an example of "tyranny of the majority" as you define it, it would have to apply to the last administration not this one.
Now you're just going to go partisan for lack of an argument. Since Bush did it (and you're talking about an election and not a law) then it's okay? I didn't support Bush by the way.

Laws can not and must not be passed by majority rule.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Now you're just going to go partisan for lack of an argument. Since Bush did it (and you're talking about an election and not a law) then it's okay? I didn't support Bush by the way.

Laws can not and must not be passed by majority rule.
Rule by majority is the tenet of democracy. What rule do you propose in its place? What's your alternative to democracy?

Old 06-29-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Rule by majority is the tenet of democracy. What rule do you propose in its place? What's your alternative to democracy?
We are not a democracy. We are a constitutional republic. The people should have the power, but the majority should not rule over the rest of the people, which is why we need a system (with a constitution) that prevents tyranny perpetrated by those that make up 51% of the population.

Again, if you're for unchecked rule of the majority, you would have to take the position that if 51% oppose gay marriage or 51% oppose legalization of drugs, they should be able to force their views on the other 49%.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
We are not a democracy. We are a constitutional republic. The people should have the power, but the majority should not rule over the rest of the people, which is why we need a system (with a constitution) that prevents tyranny perpetrated by those that make up 51% of the population.

Again, if you're for unchecked rule of the majority, you would have to take the position that if 51% oppose gay marriage or 51% oppose legalization of drugs, they should be able to force their views on the other 49%.
But you still have not provided me with an alternative. Democracy is not perfect but it is the best political system out there bar none. Most Americans would agree with me on that point.

I rest my case.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
But you still have not provided me with an alternative. Democracy is not perfect but it is the best political system out there bar none. Most Americans would agree with me on that point.

I rest my case.
Um I'm advocating our current form of democracy... a constitutional republic. Read my post.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Um I'm advocating our current form of democracy... a constitutional republic. Read my post.
A constitutional republic also believe in majority rule but with checks and balances as we currently have in our government. So what's your argument here?

Old 06-29-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
A constitutional republic also believe in majority rule but with checks and balances as we currently have in our government. So what's your argument here?
My only argument is that just because the majority supports something doesn't mean we should institute it.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
My only argument is that just because the majority supports something doesn't mean we should institute it.
There are many things out there that the majority of Americans support that are not been instituted. Majority support for an issue does not mean that it will become law. The Republicans have obstructed many legislation in Congress that are supported by a majority of the population. I find this outrageous but it is a testament to the checks and balances in our political system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies