Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 10:50 PM

764 posts, read 597,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Raising taxes on businesses = higher prices and job cuts

Are you good with that?
That's the thing. Whenever people talk about cheap labor, they mention how without it, you would have to pay more. No, if the already rich executives running the company wouldn't take so much, you could have it both ways. People could get paid, and the price of an iPhone wouldn't have to be ridiculously high. It could work here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 05:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Then you're advocating a tax cut for the top 1%. They own less of the wealth than the percentage of the taxes they pay.
yeah, we're going around in circles about this. i dispute your "facts," plain and simple. if you want to provide a source i'd be happy to look at it and possibly change my mind.

if i remember correctly, you posted something about income and called it wealth, you were called on it, and you never answered.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:52 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,665,751 times
I say Tax Corporations to the brink of bancruptcy.. that will teach them.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:05 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,417,271 times
i'm all for charity...that is the willfull giving of earned money towards what you believe is a good cause.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:12 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i dispute your "facts," plain and simple. if you want to provide a source i'd be happy to look at it and possibly change my mind.

if i remember correctly, you posted something about income and called it wealth, you were called on it, and you never answered.
Here are the answers. Easy to find the info, so I'm not sure why you couldn't do it yourself.

The top 1% owns 34.6% of the wealth, but pays 38.02% of the federal income taxes.

In the United States, wealth is highly concentrated in a relatively few hands. As of 2007, the top 1% of households (the upper class) owned 34.6% of all privately held wealth
Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

Percentage of federal income tax revenue paid in Table 1, here:
The Tax Foundation - Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data

Furthermore, the 38.02% of federal income taxes the top 1% pays is nearly TWICE that of their share of the income which is 20%.

Note that it's an INCOME tax, not a wealth tax. Wealth is the accumulation of income that has already been taxed, and investments whose gains have not yet been realized (in other words, still at work in the economy creating jobs, etc.).

What you advocate, "equal to the share," would necessitate a tax cut for the top 1%. They earn 20% of the income but pay 38.02% of the federal income tax revenue.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:31 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,941,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The richest 2% of Americans control 98% of the wealth in this country.

Shouldn't that mean they pay 98% of all of the taxes we need?

Food for thought.
When you & your friends go out to dinner, do you make the guy with the most money pay for most of the meal?

Food for thought.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:35 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,602,495 times
Thumbs down poor analogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
When you & your friends go out to dinner, do you make the guy with the most money pay for most of the meal?

Food for thought.
Did he order 98% of the meal.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:46 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
The top 2% owning 98% of the wealth meme is a propagandized myth, y'all. The facts have already been posted debunking that number.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:49 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
No, if the already rich executives running the company wouldn't take so much, you could have it both ways. People could get paid, and the price of an iPhone wouldn't have to be ridiculously high. It could work here...
What business school did you go to come up with that idea? Do you know how much research and development went into the iPhone and other similar products? Once they are "perfected" then parts tooling. A single plastic injection mold can be upwards of $50,000.

Since you brought up the iPhone, Steve Jobs makes a salary of $1 per year. If his decisions about the direction of the company are profitable, then he and millions of other stock holders increase their wealth. If his decisions are wrong, the wealth disappears. It's up to the stock holders to buy low and sell high to profit.

The highest compensated CEO is #1 Stephen J Hemsley - Forbes.com . He made a little over $3M in salary and bonuses. The majority of the compensation comes from the stock price increasing. He has a vested interest in the company he is running. Like other executives, those are really just options so he can't run up the price and cash out. He has to keep the company profitable for 2, 3, 5 or 10 years before he can exercise those options.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:53 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,941,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Did he order 98% of the meal.
Do the top 2% get 98% of the services?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies