Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 09:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I agree the federal income tax burden should be shifted around to be more equitable. Currently, the top 1% is paying nearly twice what they should. That needs to be brought more in line with their actual percentage share of the income.
You can dislike the funding of the source, but you'll have to prove that the academicians are lying about their findings and disprove the factual data. Show your work. We'll wait...
hah. Pull your head out of your ass and then we can talk. We are now going around in circles over and over and over again, when I say "wealth" you respond with "income."

MORAL OF THE STORY:

Republicans / Conservatives / GOP Hard-liners do NOT want to use WEALTH as a basis for taxation. They want to make everything about INCOME because that screws the middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yeah because we all know Warren Buffet and Bill Gates, dont provide jobs for americans.. ooh wait.. yes they do.. Warren Buffet has a payroll of 200,000 americans alone
Ok, but what about the owners of walmart and some of the companies that when you call for customer assistance you get some guy from India? I'm sure that there are more than 200,000 people employed overseas doing jobs that Americans once did, especially in telemarketing and manufactoring

Old 06-30-2011, 09:07 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It is almost laughable that low income people justify giving tax cuts to the rich.
its almost laughable that those who pay ZERO, say someone else who pays the lion share of the taxes, arent paying enough
Quote:
It is already proven that Reganomics does not work, but instead they (the rich) managed to get more cuts and benefits from laws and treaties that have been passed (NAFTA) that increase their profits.
I think you need to re-educate yourself, especially considering NAFTA was signed by Clinton

Old 06-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Ok, but what about the owners of walmart and some of the companies that when you call for customer assistance you get some guy from India? I'm sure that there are more than 200,000 people employed overseas doing jobs that Americans once did, especially in telemarketing and manufactoring
Wal Mart employees how many millions of americans? Its a world wide retail store, so tell me how raising the taxes on these individuals, would equate to more american jobs?

Old 06-30-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Republicans / Conservatives / GOP Hard-liners do NOT want to use WEALTH as a basis for taxation. They want to make everything about INCOME because that screws the middle class.
Tell me since when did the federal government, or liberals, begin to use WEALTH as a basis of taxation. Tell me why you should be penalized because you save your money, and dont rush out and blow it?

I bet its when you ran out of other peoples money

Old 06-30-2011, 09:15 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,092,427 times
Quote:
did i say you lived in tennessee? i think i said tennessee fan.

your name is "SEC Champs 98." So that's what, Tennessee or Kentucky? Or maybe you follow something like women's volleyball?

So if you knew, why did you confuse them?

Ah. stop there.

My argument regards people who are not paying their fair share of taxes.

The wealthy do not pay their fair share of taxes, or at least, that's the issue of contention that is being thrown back and forth.

And no, I don't want to see any of your "data" on INCOME taxes or INCOME levels. We aren't talking about INCOME.
My, my..a little sensitive aren't we chuckles....ha, ha....

I love womens sports, who wouldn't.....are you against women's sports?

So lets talk both....

Wealth

Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

1% own about 35% if we use total assets - they should pay 35% of income based upon your logic, although though they are not using 35% of the resources or services.

Your pitiful justification that those with most wealth should shoulder the burden..even they don't use the majority of services.

Additional data about income...

The Tax Foundation - Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data

Another indicator of this reversal in the income and tax shares of the top 1 percent is that during 2007, the top 1 percent had actually paid more in federal income tax than the bottom 95 percent, a comparison that was much remarked on a year ago. But the diminished income of the top 1 percent in 2008 means that the comparison no longer holds. During 2008, the bottom 95 percent (AGI under $159,619) paid 41.3 percent of the total collected, a larger share than the 38.0 percent paid by the top 1 percent (AGI over $380,354).
The top-earning 5 percent of taxpayers (AGI over $159,619), however, still paid far more than the bottom 95 percent. The top 5 percent earned 34.7 percent of the nation's adjusted gross income, but paid approximately 58.7 percent of federal individual income taxes.

Last edited by Secchamps98; 06-30-2011 at 09:23 AM..

Old 06-30-2011, 09:21 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,092,427 times
Quote:
hah. Pull your head out of your ass and then we can talk. We are now going around in circles over and over and over again, when I say "wealth" you respond with "income."

MORAL OF THE STORY:

Listen up ..now, slowly.....I will repeat it for you...

No one is buying your class envy..just becaseu someone has it, you can't take it...nor will it be taken to give to the masses...becaseu someone has worked hard, earned money, invested wisely and saved does not justify someone coming along and saying -

"gee, we need to support the social safety net, we need to be fair. They sacrficed to get ahead, but it is just not fair these other folks don't have health care, housing asistance...these are needed programs. By golly, they need to pay their fair share since they don't feel the pain and making the sacrifice that these folks are. It is their moral obligation to help, they are being greedy...so we are going to take that money...and it will help the economy...they can get by with 2-3% less this yr."

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE....will fight to kepe that from happening...

Old 06-30-2011, 09:31 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
how are they responsible?
By that logic, how are the lower and middle classes responsible?

Old 06-30-2011, 09:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Wealth

Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

1% own about 35% if we use total assets - they should pay 35% of income based upon your logic
No, they should pay a share of their wealth. According to your link, 34.6% is their share of 2007 net worth. Another figure in the same link showed wealth at 42.7%. Both numbers are too low, because they are pre-bailout.

Quote:
Another indicator of this reversal in the income and tax shares of the top 1 percent is that during 2007, the top 1 percent had actually paid more in federal income tax than the bottom 95 percent, a comparison that was much remarked on a year ago. But the diminished income of the top 1 percent in 2008 means that the comparison no longer holds. During 2008, the bottom 95 percent (AGI under $159,619) paid 41.3 percent of the total collected, a larger share than the 38.0 percent paid by the top 1 percent (AGI over $380,354).

I swear I think some of y'all are 1/8 retarded. We have about 17 pages worth of me saying "Wealth" and the GOP Propaganda brigade showing up and either arguing about income taxes, or trying to turn this into a pop psychology discussion by playing "Dr Phil". The rich have ways of hiding their incomes , and therefore the top 1% of earners are not even the same people as the top 1% of wealth holders. I am not talking about income taxes. Last time I'm going to say it..... peace.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
No one is buying your class envy..just becaseu someone has it, you can't take it...nor will it be taken to give to the masses...becaseu someone has worked hard, earned money, invested wisely and saved does not justify someone coming along and saying -
This paragraph nailed it..

This country is full of people who get a paycheck and rush out and blow it, at the end of the week, they are sitting there, waiting for next weeks paycheck to arrive. At the end of the year, they are waiting for their tax "refunds", (which arent actually refunds, but credits), so they can rush out and buy their next big purchase like a car, adding on the debt, and because they cant figure out how to stop spending money, they want to come along and take someone elses money who chose to save, rather than spend every dime they had..

I look at my mother-in-law, who's worked hard her whole life and is now in her 70's, and the only asset she owns is her car, which of course is bought with debt, and I cant believe how totally incompetent and foolish most americans are because they simply dont understand the difference between good debt, and bad, or they simply dont care because government is always there to bail them out.

She of course now lives in a senior citizen housing project, paying her $100 a month in rent, out of her government welfare income check called Social Security, and somehow, its people like me, who take every dime we own and invest it and buy things that brings us income, to blame for people like her, making poor choices to buy new cars every few years.

I wouldnt feel so bad for these liberals if they were at all embarassed because they made poor choices and needed the handout, I feel bad for them because they celebrate these poor choices and call for policies which create more of them.. Its rather pathetic to read their "need" to tax wealth now because they spent everyone elses income they could get ahold of..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies