Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 12:29 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well according to the raging mad crowd..the companies are "hoarding cash" and should just absorb it.

Someone has to pay and it isn't going to be them.
"Let someone else pay" is the mantra.

Well you know what..we ran out of "someone elses" to pay.

if I were a theif an got caught, I would argue that i was just following the policies of the democrat led government.

oh well, so much for truth and seriousness in these debates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 12:59 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
Lightbulb good job...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Another reason for you not to be my realtor..
Chapter 1 of elementary accounting
Principles of Accounting Chapter 1 (http://www.principlesofaccounting.com/chapter%201.htm - broken link)

Note where the stockholders equity gets reported on a balance sheet? On the liability side, not the asset side.

And since its difficult for you to comprehend, lets dumb it down
Person A has a company, who then sells stocks to the public.
Person A receives payment, corporation issues stock, public receives stock
In order for person A to regain the company, they must rebuy the stock sold by taking cash out of their pocket. This need to expense cash is what makes it a liability.

Someone buying the "equity" means that the someone else sold it. Its a liability to the corporation, its an asset to those who buy it. Thats why stock owners normally receive zero in bankruptcy court
Corporate Bankruptcy
The bankruptcy court may determine that stockholders don't get anything because the debtor is insolvent. (A debtor's solvency is determined by the difference between the value of its assets and its liabilities.) If the company's liabilities are greater than its assets, your stock may be worthless.

Yet again I must question the education system in america because people dont know this. Let me guess, you think a home is an asset and not a liability as well?
Hmm...I see. It is an asset. I was wrong; however, I see you've also proven you're wrong. Which isn't surprising....lol

It's owners equity. Liabilities are separate on the balance sheet.

It's reported under Stockholders Equity and when added together with liabilities equals the companies total assets...
"What is important to know is that no transaction will upset the fundamental accounting equation of assets = liabilities + owners' equity."Your Source (http://www.principlesofaccounting.com/chapter%201.htm - broken link)"

Quote:
Stock is an equity investment that represents part ownership in a corporation and entitles you to part of that corporation's earnings and assets.

Common stock gives shareholders voting rights but no guarantee of dividend payments. Preferred stock provides no voting rights but usually guarantees a dividend payment.

In the past, shareholders received a paper stock certificate -- called a security -- verifying the number of shares they owned. Today, share ownership is usually recorded electronically, and the shares are held in street name by your brokerage firm.

Dictionary of Financial Terms. Copyright © 2008 Lightbulb Press, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Quote:
Stock
A portion of ownership in a corporation. The holder of a stock is entitled to the company's earnings and is responsible for its risk for the portion of the company that each stock represents.

There are two main classes of stock: common stock and preferred stock.

Common stock holders have the right to vote on major company decisions, such as whether or not to merge with another corporation, and receive dividends determined by management. Preferred stock holders do not usually have voting rights, but receive a minimum dividend. Stock may be bought or sold, usually, though not always, in the context of a securities exchange. It is important to note that a single share of a stock usually represents only a tiny amount of ownership, and, therefore, most stocks are traded in batches of 100.

Farlex Financial Dictionary. © 2009 Farlex, Inc. All Rights Reserved

If the company's liabilities are greater than its assets, your EQUITY INVESTMENT (stock) may be worthless.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:12 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
The baby daddy thing came from the raping of slaves. I guess it would be hard for you to understand the difference of what your ancestors went through and what present minorities have gone through over the last 100 years and are still going through
i know that's what baby daddies meant. but you seem to be ignorant to the fact that the majority of americans, and even southerners, didn't own slaves back then. so your whole excuse as to why my ancestors came up is flawed because most of them were poor in a time when welfare was nonexistent and many of them were working in factories before they were even teenagers.

as for what minorities are going through, i don't buy that load of crap. we have a black president, we have a black man running for a gop nomination, we have a black judge on one of the most popular tv shows, if not the most popular, in the country (american idol), we have plenty of black people who've come up in life. to sit here and blame society for the fact that so many of them remain in compton and the bronx is a pathetically bad excuse. if one black man came up in life, did well in school, went to college and studied hard and got out of the ghetto, then THERE IS NO EXCUSE for the rest.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:03 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Your head is up your ass. Either way you look at it, the top 1% are paying MORE than what you advocate they pay, "equal to the share."

You must have missed the FACT that the top 1%'s share of the wealth was highest under DEMOCRAT CLINTON and declined under Bush. You have your political parties reversed.
DEMOCRAT CLINTON was in very deep economic trouble until the REPUBLICANS under the leadership of Newt Gingrich bright Clinton kicking and screaming to the table and forced him to "CUT SPENDING" and balance the budget. You need a history lesson!

Old 07-01-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
The baby daddy thing came from the raping of slaves. I guess it would be hard for you to understand the difference of what your ancestors went through and what present minorities have gone through over the last 100 years and are still going through

I'm so tired of hearing "poor me!"

Ya know what? If you think you are the poor victim of discrimination and poor me, I need the government to give me whatever...just think about what your life would be like if you "ancestors" had never left Africa!!!

Kiss the ground you walk on because your "land of origin" is a huge mess! Count your blessings that you are in America! In addition, instead of crying "poor me, my ancestors were abused, etc." take a look at the accomplishments of many "minorities" BECAUSE they took advantage of what this country offers to RESPONSIBLE individuals, no matter what the country of origin!

You get no sympathy from me! I worked hard for everything I have and I'll be damn*d if I think someone else needs to have my gains transferred to them by the government! No thank you! Get your a** out and work for what you want. That's the American way! Beats the he** out of having some tyrant and his mercenaries chase you around the jungles of Africa to rape, pillage and kill you!

Last edited by lorrysda; 07-01-2011 at 02:27 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
still trying to find a liberal who will explain how a corporation can have its taxes raised without that additional cost being passed along to its customers.
They can't. No business should or does!

Old 07-01-2011, 02:26 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
They can't. No business should or does!
That's just a threat.

"Tax us more, and we'll pass it on to the consumers"

"Tax us more, and we'll leave the state or nation!"

In supposedly high-tax California, 80 billionaries live here. Yeah, I'm sure Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison, and Mark Zuckerberg are just going to up and leave if their taxes go up 5 percent.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:27 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I was with you right up until that last sentence. Of course a house is an asset. There may be liabilities attached to it, such as a mortgage, and taxes, but the house itself and the land on which it sits are certainly assets.
Assets bring in income, homes are not assets, they are liabilities, they have expenses assigned to them.

The equity attached to them are an asset, but the house itself is a liability.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:28 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,059 times
A very good question indeed especially considering how the cons like to yammer and yap about "shared sacrifice" when saying that the poor et al should give things up

Old 07-01-2011, 02:31 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
still trying to find a liberal who will explain how a corporation can have its taxes raised without that additional cost being passed along to its customers.
Why don't we apply that logic to any expense a business owner has? What's to stop him from raising prices so he can take a first class cruise? What's to stop him from raising prices for anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies