Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 01:06 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
they contribute by paying your salaries. why don't you go to the bronx or compton and tell THEM to start contributing to something that will make them more well known for something besides murder rates? like higher graduation rates and marrying before "doing it" and providing for THEMSELVES like my ancestors had to do in a time when welfare didn't exist and child labor was common and wages were A LOT lower.
They are also responsible for the deployment of American men and women to foriegn lands in order to destablize governments and finanace covert wars overseas. They are aslo responsible providing more jobs overseas to maximize their profits while avoiding their fair share of taxes. They are partially responsible for the fragmentation of this country through the finanicing of partial truths and down right lies through the media in order to promote their own agendas.

As far as your uninformed and apparent racist remarks regarding the Bronx and compton, which more then likely are places that you have never been. There are, believe it or not people in those areas that are doing well both financially and morally and don't make stupid assinine assumptions about something that they know very little about. Come to think of it, for someone who apparently have a very small hold of American history. Let me enlighten you on one thing, YOUR ancestors are the same people who were the first "baby daddies" in this country when they decided to rape the slaves brought over from Africa and never took responsibility for them. As far as the child labor they experienced, did'nt that also come from their more affluent brethren, getting as much as they could from the populace as they could?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 01:08 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Last year GE paid no taxes on their 5 billion in profits. They also got billions in tax credits. What does that have to do with having middle and lower income customers?

Can you answer the quesiton.

Lets say I am GE. I make light bulbs. I pay zero in taxes and I charge 10 bucks for a light bulb.

You are the government you decide to fix me so I pay my fair share of 30% tax.

What do you think my light bulbs are going to cost next year?

How many homes are there in America and what percentage of those homes are lower and middle class? We all need lightbulbs....

Again, please explain to me, how you will make a corporation pay taxes without them passing that cost along to their customers...

by the way my bulbs will cost $13.99 next year. (yea I know now i get to report extra profits to my shareholders)

Old 06-30-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Listen, Mr. Richy Rich

I'm lower middle class and I get NOTHING!

you sound angry. should you get something?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Arthur Blank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heres on for you...Arthur Blank founder of Home Depot.....why don't you read a bit..quite a success story...

Execelllente! Unfortunately good one billionaire cannot balance out the bushes, cheneys, clintons ect

Old 06-30-2011, 01:15 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Why? We've had extremely imbalanced society since the beginning of time and yet we are the numer one nation in the world. Some might summise that this imbalance actually creates a better nation, and those who have less of an imablance, worse. Why dont you name some of these fabulous nations where everyone is the same? Cuba? North Korea? Russia?
Let's not argue in absolutes and recognize that the world has many shades of gray. No one is proposing some Communist equality. Some inequality is perfectly normal and healthy in a capitalist economy; but too much can be highly detrimental, both socially and economically. And that gap hasn't grown in the last few decades...it has skyrocketed. It's historically seen, by the way, in the late stages of every failing empire.

Quote:
Actually your own chart doesnt say that the bottom 50% hasnt seen much of a change since the 1970's..
The salient point is that the rich are not just richer than the poor - which is normal and fine - but that their relative rate of wealth accumulation has increased dramatically. If your argument is that the bottom 20/30/whatever % has been largely composed of welfare queens since 1970, then...ok, let's assume that is so. But the whole point is that the bottom has to increasingly rely on the rich (via government) to live. That's the problem! And I agree that policies that further subjugate and enslave the lower 50% to the top 3% are bad. I want real income opportunities for those people. They used to be there...more than today.

Quote:
Actually when you create policies which encourage companies to outsource jobs, and thus lower the demand for labor, then and only then you can lower the wages of americans. With a higher demand for labor you get a higher wage, but yet again, liberals support policies to push companies outside the country while complaining about the consequences..
Outsourcing is primarily a matter of basic capitalist economics; if an Indian can do the job for 30% of cost, then that's where the job will go. I agree that Democrats are guilty of doing nothing and probably making it worse. But guess what? So are Republicans. They all largely stood by and did nothing. And it's not just a matter of marginal tax rates when the compelling economics are multiple orders of magnitude in difference.

Quote:
True, but thats not the top 2%'s fault.
I'm not saying it is their fault. They are taking advantage of new technology which makes automation and outsourcing economically feasible. I'm not saying it's anyone's fault - I'm just saying that this extreme and growing disparity in income is a symptom of a serious problem. It would be good if we could address it structurally without more rich/poor wealth transfers. But it seems that both Republicans and Democrats are busy arguing in terms of an old paradigm that isn't going to work anymore. It's talking past one another, a bit like we just did. We're actually not quite as far apart as it might have initially seemed.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
They are also responsible for the deployment of American men and women to foriegn lands in order to destablize governments and finanace covert wars overseas. They are aslo responsible providing more jobs overseas to maximize their profits while avoiding their fair share of taxes. They are partially responsible for the fragmentation of this country through the finanicing of partial truths and down right lies through the media in order to promote their own agendas.

As far as your uninformed and apparent racist remarks regarding the Bronx and compton, which more then likely are places that you have never been. There are, believe it or not people in those areas that are doing well both financially and morally and don't make stupid assinine assumptions about something that they know very little about. Come to think of it, for someone who apparently have a very small hold of American history. Let me enlighten you on one thing, YOUR ancestors are the same people who were the first "baby daddies" in this country when they decided to rape the slaves brought over from Africa and never took responsibility for them. As far as the child labor they experienced, did'nt that also come from their more affluent brethren, getting as much as they could from the populace as they could?
thank you for posting this. it gives rational people a peek inside the mind or liberalism....

boy thats a scary place! LOL!

One question... ive asked a lot and gotten no takers on answers... maybe you can...

how does a corporation pay their "fair share" without passing on those costs to their customers?

as has already been noted, the majority of customers of the majority of businesses in the USA are Middle and lower income people.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Why don't we ask those folks who pay no income taxes to chip in and pay for the services they recieve....

Truthfully, how do you think money is circulated? The poor and middle class SPEND more then the rich on a variety of items that nine times out of ten that they don't need. A perfect example is Air Jordan tennis shoes

Old 06-30-2011, 01:17 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Can you explain how a corporation pays taxes without passing those taxes along to their customers?

you do realize that the majority of the customers of the majority of corporations are middle and lower income people right?
But the majority of people who make MONEY off the corporations are wealthy.

ooohhh, the rich don't even shop here! They must have a special island with all the really good stores on it (that are not part of any 'corporation'), where they send their help by helicopter to get those oh-so-rare treats the middle and lower income people don't even know exist!

I suppose the rich have their own private power plants and oil refineries, too. And, I am sure they don't stoop so low as to use a telephone!

However, being that the 'rich' are such a minority in this country it would be cruel to ask them to sacrifice. Wouldn't that be taking advantage of this tiny group?

LOL

Old 06-30-2011, 01:20 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
We already know you think the poor/middle class should sacrafice by giving up some benefits to social programs such as social security, medicare, medicaid, pell grants, heating assistance, housing assistance, etc.

In what ways should the rich and corporate america contribute?
1. Social programs amount to legalized theft, so giving up institutionalized robbery is probably beneficial for society.
2. Wealthier individuals might contribute money to charities to help those who are less fortunate.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
But the majority of people who make MONEY off the corporations are wealthy.

ooohhh, the rich don't even shop here! They must have a special island with all the really good stores on it (that are not part of any 'corporation'), where they send their help by helicopter to get those oh-so-rare treats the middle and lower income people don't even know exist!

I suppose the rich have their own private power plants and oil refineries, too. And, I am sure they don't stoop so low as to use a telephone!

However, being that the 'rich' are such a minority in this country it would be cruel to ask them to sacrifice. Wouldn't that be taking advantage of this tiny group?

LOL
so you arent going to answer the question either...

as for the rich, you do realize that the top 2% pay something like 60% of income tax right?

back to the question. how exactly do corporations pay taxes without passing along those costs to thier customers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies