Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 11:51 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
How you conveniently left out (and from your article): genes, environment, medicines, age, hormones, etc.
Because those are NOT leading causes....

The leading cause is not exercising and eating too much.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:53 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,570 times
Why don't we just end the debate and start posting pictures of ourselves?

Old 07-02-2011, 11:53 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Just because Taxol and other chemotherapies and anti-depressants makes you hungry does not mean you have to eat "cottage cheese" or other highly fattening foods.
For chrissakes, will you give it a break? Cottage cheese is not fattening. There are different milk fat percentages you know. Plus, cottage cheese is high is protein (healthy) and can be eaten with fruit (healthy).

A leopard never changes his spots. One nice post does not a nice guy make.

And tell me how many anti-depressants you've been on that you have this "expert" knowledge.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Because those are NOT leading causes....

The leading cause is not exercising and eating too much.
Too bad I cannot post your entire article here. Equal weight is given to each area.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Too bad I cannot post your entire article here. Equal weight is given to each area.
From my link:

Quote:
A lack of energy balance most often causes overweight and obesity.
Here is a definition of 'most' and 'often':
most/mōst/

Adverb: To the greatest extent: "the things he most enjoyed".
Adjective: Greatest in amount or degree: "they've had the most success"; "they had the most to lose". More »
Wikipedia - Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster

of·ten/ˈôf(t)ən/Adverb

1. Frequently; many times: "how often do you have your hair cut?".
2. In many instances: "vocabulary often reflects social standing". More »
Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

Hopefully this will help you understand.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:02 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
I'll blame outside forces when appropriate. Menopause is an outside force I did not choose that comes with hormone shifts and often weight gain. Often no matter how hard someone tries to lose weight it is not possible because of menopause. However, just to put your mind at ease, , I did order this supplement a couple of days ago that is supposed to balance hormones to pre-menopausal levels. I don't know why I am explaining this to someone who most likely knows nothing about the subject matter, but there you have it.

You, OTOH, truly have no bodily shifts going on forcing you to smoke. And I did detect a wee bit of whining in your "poor us, we've been treated like blah, blah, blah" in an earlier post. Your addiction is easy enough to stop. My issue, OTOH (referring to hormonal issues) is something only medical intervention can deal with. So you stop whining.

I managed to go 76 hours without a cigarette and no nicotine this week but then got tripped up, but I know it's possible to quit. Heck, I did so for 15 years. If you're feeling the heat of smoking discrimination, time to quit. It's a cakewalk compared to what losing weight when you're dealing with certain OUTSIDE issues is. Or shall I say INSIDE forces, because my hormones are, afterall, inside my body!
I am fortunate, because I am old enough not to be at the mercy of others. I do what I want, when I want. I try to mitigate any damage from smoking, by a healthy lifestyle and diet. I am an animal lover, and can't stand the thought of making animals suffer, to pay the price for my choices, such as factory farming.
Have you tried the electronic cigarette? This alternative almost got me off cigs, for about 2 months. I use them when I am in the company of others, or inside the house. That provides a nicotine hit, while I exhale water vapor. But, nothing satisfies like the real thing. pm me, if you want to know more.
I look at it like horseback riding. You risk breaking your neck for the pleasure received. Only you can decide if the risk is worth it. Life is short, enjoy it's pleasures, whatever they may be.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:04 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Try being on chemotherapy and seeing how much control you have over what you feel like eating. I don't mean that cruely - it's truly difficult for people NOT in that situation to understand.

I get mouth sores 2 weeks out of the month (1 week after each of my treatments). For the first half of the mouth sores, I can't have things like fruit because the citrus stings my mouth. Hell- even water stings. I have a special mouth rinse and then am able to eat once a day- pretty much exclusively soft, bland foods (ie mashed potatoes, smoothies with protein powder, milkshakes if I'm really not hitting over 1000 calories for the day, noodles and cottage cheese- which, by the way, is not "fattening" and is the quinticential diet food).

We keep a list of foods in the break room requesting people not to eat in front of me (or warn me so I can leave the room) because I will barf on command. Even thinking about ginger ale makes me gag. I gagged as I typed it. Same with cupcakes (a local company heard about me and brought me some at chemo... perfect diet plan- I may never eat a cupcake again), apple sauce, Ensure, SlimFast shakes, and quite a few other things.

I am so happy once the nausea and sores pass so I can have a nice salad and some fruit that isn't mushed up bananas on toast or in a smoothie.

In any case, my oncology nutritionist, oncologist, nurses, and social worker are all monitoring my diet and have been quite clear that I am to eat as healthy as possible when I feel up to it but the most important thing is getting 1500 calories a day even when I'm *not* up to it- and that takes a lot of creativity on days where I can barely get out of bed and the idea of putting anything into my mouth makes me ill. I think they know a little more than a whiny college student on the internet.

Other cancer treatments may vary. I must admit, the biggest let downs after, you know, getting cancer at 23 is that I didn't lose any body hair and I didn't have any of the famed weight loss.

On the wig- it's summer, why the hell should I have to wear a wig to make people NOT make rude comments to me? I cut my hair to about an inch when it started falling out expecting it all to fall out and not wanting it to be a HUGE mess. That was almost 3 months ago, and I still have a full, yet messily grown out head of hair. Constantly falling out but not to the degree I expected. I'm not putting an itchy, hot wig over my hair to make others comfortable. I tried covering my hair with a kerchief but then I got rude Muslim remarks.

You can't win. People are jackasses when they are removed from the situation.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
From my link:

Here is a definition of 'most' and 'often':
most/mōst/

Adverb: To the greatest extent: "the things he most enjoyed".
Adjective: Greatest in amount or degree: "they've had the most success"; "they had the most to lose". More »
Wikipedia - Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster

of·ten/ˈôf(t)ən/Adverb

1. Frequently; many times: "how often do you have your hair cut?".
2. In many instances: "vocabulary often reflects social standing". More »
Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

Hopefully this will help you understand.
Most doesn't equal always, yet you conveniently left all the other factors out. In fact, did you know that lack of proper sleep can make someone fat? Did you know that stress can make someone fat? And neither of these have to do with eating, rather higher cortisol levels. But then I am venturing into "not simplicity land" where you reside, so I'll leave it at this.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:07 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I completely understand. I hope you get better soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
On the wig- it's summer, why the hell should I have to wear a wig to make people NOT make rude comments to me? I cut my hair to about an inch when it started falling out expecting it all to fall out and not wanting it to be a HUGE mess. That was almost 3 months ago, and I still have a full, yet messily grown out head of hair. Constantly falling out but not to the degree I expected. I'm not putting an itchy, hot wig over my hair to make others comfortable. I tried covering my hair with a kerchief but then I got rude Muslim remarks.

You can't win. People are jackasses when they are removed from the situation.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Most doesn't equal always, yet you conveniently left all the other factors out.
LOL...the LEADING CAUSE of obesity is a 'lack of energy balance'....
Meaning the person eats too much and doesn't exercise enough.

Quote:
In fact, did you know that lack of proper sleep can make someone fat? Did you know that stress can make someone fat?
Neither are the leading cause of obesity.

Quote:
And neither of these have to do with eating, rather higher cortisol levels. But then I am venturing into "not simplicity land" where you reside, so I'll leave it at this.
LOL....another personal attack...of the sort you don't do...

SO now that it is established that the leading cause of obesity and being overweight is not exercising enough and eating too much we can move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies