Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:14 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
That'd be the non-innovators that you were talking about here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Depends on what the federal government deems worthy of encouraging. If they encourage innovation and economic growth, then capital gains and dividends will be taxed at a lower rate.

Again, it depends on what the federal government deems worthy of encouraging. Is innovation and economic growth desired? No? Then tax capital gains, etc., the same as income.
Which are who, in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 02:16 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Which are who, in your opinion?
I don't think such a distinction between innovators and non-innovators exists, or "job creators" and non "job creators."

I think it's classic GOP rhetoric to redistribute wealth regressively, towards the wealthy. Engage in class warfare, and then accuse the other side of engaging in class warfare if they disagree with you. Works every time.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:29 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I don't think such a distinction between innovators and non-innovators exists, or "job creators" and non "job creators."
You're way off track. Look at exactly what I said...
Quote:
Depends on what the federal government deems worthy of encouraging. If they encourage innovation and economic growth, then capital gains and dividends will be taxed at a lower rate.

Again, it depends on what the federal government deems worthy of encouraging. Is innovation and economic growth desired? No? Then tax capital gains, etc., the same as income.
What does that mean to you? Maybe we can figure out where you're going wrong.

Quote:
I think it's classic GOP rhetoric to redistribute wealth regressively, towards the wealthy.
No, it's all about freeing people to pursue wealth, or not. Some choose not to, and that's fine. Just don't prop them up artificially with tax dollars forcibly taken from me.

When it comes to the 'poor,' seems you're a fatalist, while I see deliberately wasted potential.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:55 PM

7,503 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If you make 1million, you pay $100,000 in taxes.

If you make $100,000, you pay $10,000 in taxes.

If you make $10,000, you pay $1,000 in taxes.

Just wanted to make sure progressives know I'm right there with them
Don't worry, once they run out of people making 100K as being rich they will have to drop down to 75K then 50K then eventually they will get to everyone. It's not a matter of if but a matter of when..

Old 07-25-2011, 03:01 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,072 times
Default Liberals complaining about taxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
My main beef is with people worth more than a billion. They are not job creators, but leeches off society and they are the ones that corrupt government. I am talking about people like Soros, Bill Gates, Al Gore, Warren Buffet, the Rothschilds, the Kochs, the Waltons, etc. Any rich person who has ties to the Council on Foreign Relations, Bilderberger, and the Trilateral Commission needs to be taxed to hell because those people pay little, if any, taxes because they are the ones that lobby Congress to write tax laws that they themselves could be exempt from. Which is why you have Buffet begging for higher taxes for people in his income category because he knows the left is ignorant of how the tax code works for the mega rich.

Liberals, and for any conservatives that don't understand, there are two tax codes in the U.S. One for the millionaires and billionaires (like Warren Buffet and Soros), and one for the rest of us. The left needs to grow up and stop whining about taxes because the household making $250,000 CAN'T AFFORD a damn private jet
Its not the liberals complaining about taxes, its the Repubs who don't want their taxes raised, nor subsidys stopped, not credits removed and those are the wealthy Repubs, not the middle class. I agree those making 250 are upper middle class these days....A millionaire if a million taxable income per year. We liberals would get a lot more people voting for our side if we raised that 250 craziness for sure!

Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
You already have them. The top 1% has a LOWER wealth share since 2001 than they had in 1995.
Perhaps a simple question: "Can I see your numbers on wealth distribution since 2001?" is too much for you to handle, that you went off parroting again. So allow me to rephrase...

Has the top 1% gained, since 2001, in terms of wealth distribution?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Flat taxes don't work. Literally read everything I posted on this thread. I'm pretty sure I've completely demolished that idea.
I'll be honest, I jumped in the middle of this thread without reading the previous 20 pages to point something out in response to a specific post (which was valid in respect to that post).

I'm not going to read through 20 pages of posts now. If you want to briefly sum up your reasoning, feel free to.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:45 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
My main beef is with people worth more than a billion. They are not job creators, but leeches off society and they are the ones that corrupt government. I am talking about people like Soros, Bill Gates, Al Gore, Warren Buffet, the Rothschilds, the Kochs, the Waltons, etc. Any rich person who has ties to the Council on Foreign Relations, Bilderberger, and the Trilateral Commission needs to be taxed to hell because those people pay little, if any, taxes because they are the ones that lobby Congress to write tax laws that they themselves could be exempt from. Which is why you have Buffet begging for higher taxes for people in his income category because he knows the left is ignorant of how the tax code works for the mega rich.

Liberals, and for any conservatives that don't understand, there are two tax codes in the U.S. One for the millionaires and billionaires (like Warren Buffet and Soros), and one for the rest of us. The left needs to grow up and stop whining about taxes because the household making $250,000 CAN'T AFFORD a damn private jet

really?

if all the billionaires took all of their money out of the USA, you would see the unemployment rate really go up.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:46 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
Simplify the tax system, have everyone pay the same percentage of taxes. If the tax rate was, say, 10%, then a person making 1k a year would pay $100 in taxes, a person making 1,000,000 a year would pay $100k in taxes. Eliminate all loopholes and deductions, everyone pay what they owe. Eliminate the B.S.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:49 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Simplify the tax system, have everyone pay the same percentage of taxes. If the tax rate was, say, 10%, then a person making 1k a year would pay $100 in taxes, a person making 1,000,000 a year would pay $100k in taxes. Eliminate all loopholes and deductions, everyone pay what they owe. Eliminate the B.S.

eliminate all taxes, repeal the 16th Amendment, make a 15% sales tax and make it apply to everyone coming into the country, not just citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies