Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 01:20 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,472,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
How does one know if it is advocating or not? The Ten Commandants is Jewish/Christian after all.
It is indeed, and there are two different versions of the same Ten Commandments in the Christian Bible. However, it does not matter which specific religion is being advocated, it is enough to know that only one religion is being advocated, and that cannot be allowed.

The same would hold true if the judge were to display only the Hindu Twelve Steps toward enlightenment and include nothing else to put it into context. That too cannot be permitted for the same reason, the judge would be advocating a specific religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 01:21 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,529,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's backlash.

If christians were all that peaceful and benign, they wouldn't constantly be attempting to legislate their questionable version of 'morality' into law, thereby oppressing a lot of people.
You could have said that about Moses and I am sure many did in his time.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It is indeed, and there are two different versions of the same Ten Commandments in the Christian Bible. However, it does not matter which specific religion is being advocated, it is enough to know that only one religion is being advocated, and that cannot be allowed.

The same would hold true if the judge were to display only the Hindu Twelve Steps toward enlightenment and include nothing else to put it into context. That too cannot be permitted for the same reason, the judge would be advocating a specific religion.
Why do I get the feeling, in our society today, nothing would be said about that though?

Old 07-23-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Why do I get the feeling, in our society today, nothing would be said about that though?
I would certainly say something. I do not want my government advocating any specific religion. I want a government that is all inclusive, accepting all those with, or without, religious beliefs.

I would fight for anyone's right to believe whatever they want, all I ask in return is the same courtesy.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:39 AM

Do you think the government should stop letting people stay home on Christmas since it is a religious holiday?

Old 07-23-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Do you think the government should stop letting people stay home on Christmas since it is a religious holiday?
The only "holidays" I take are those days when I have no billable hours. When I have billable hours, those are work days. The actual day of the week, or whether it is a local, state, or national holiday, makes absolutely no difference to me. I have worked many religious holidays and secular holidays, they are just another day to me.

As far as Government making Christmas a holiday to begin with in 1870, no, they should not have done so. However, over the last 141 years Christmas has become more and more secular in nature. It is only viewed as a religious holiday now by the devoutly religious. Therefore, I see no reason why it should be abolished now. And no, I do not get offended when someone wishes me a "Merry Christmas" or a "Happy Holidays." That would be stupid.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:27 AM

You have made the main point right there. Too many Christians are in fact not Christian at all or they would not just go to church on Christmas and Easter. If Christians cannot cherish their religion no one else will or can.

That is the big problem in our culture that is becoming more secular each day. People of all faiths are losing it. You can maybe see how some get irate when they are reminded of it.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:14 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,693,036 times
Christian Fundamentalists
Suspect in deadly Norway attacks charged - World news - Europe - msnbc.com

Old 07-23-2011, 07:27 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,397,563 times
Quote:
You have made the main point right there. Too many Christians are in fact not Christian at all or they would not just go to church on Christmas and Easter. If Christians cannot cherish their religion no one else will or can.

That is the big problem in our culture that is becoming more secular each day. People of all faiths are losing it. You can maybe see how some get irate when they are reminded of it.
There are over 37,000 different Christian sects all claiming they are the "true" Christians. Which one is?

Old 07-23-2011, 07:38 AM

68,335 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
There are over 37,000 different Christian sects all claiming they are the "true" Christians. Which one is?
Probably none that claim to be the only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies