Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:51 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm starting to believe that people who claim homosexuality is a choice are in fact homosexuals who are trying to delude themselves that they've overcome it and chosen to be heterosexual.
Maybe they are the "success" stories of changing someone from gay to straight. Too scared to be put out by their mom, dad and the rest of the family, that they fight it with all they can.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:00 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Obviously these people need to get a life,

Anyone treated for homosexuality by this clinic has to request it. In other words, no one will even mention it unless you do first.

The next obvious question then becomes, if I am gay, do I have a right to not be gay?

How is harassing those who choose to not be gay morally superior to harassing those who choose to be gay?

With the possible exception of the animal rights loons, homosexuals are clearly the most intolerant fringe group out there.
Sadly for those self-loathing people who don't want to be gay, it doesn't really matter if they want to be gay or not.

They still are - they can only learn to lie and pretend not to be. Which is not conducive to good mental and emotional health.

There is no credible evidence that so-called "reparative" therapy (aka pray away the gay) works. There is definite evidence that it is harmful.

Which is why all the mainstream health organziations warn against it.

I've also read a few transcipts of some of those "reparative" sessions and found them shockingly unethical. No ethical counsellor or psychologist would try to convince a client they had a bad relationship with their father or were sexually abused when they weren't, just because it fits in with their discredited religious based ideas about homosexuality.

Turned my stomach to hear so-called "therapists" being so manipulative with clients - all because of their own anti-gay values.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:01 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I've met a handful of people who had undergone some attempted form of ex-gay reparative therapy. They all had been checked in by parents as teenagers.

None of them had yet to forgive his parents.
Would be the same if parents dragged any kid to a therapist. One has to want to change before they can but I won't say those who want to change from homosexual to straight can't, so forget it. Saying, "even if you say you have changed I won't believe you because I know better," is intolerant from people who want tolerance.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Cognitive dissonance takes us to some pretty weird places.

The "born gay" rationalization is one of those places.
Holding religious beliefs that contradict reality sets up cognitive dissonance and takes some people to pretty weird places. The "homosexuality is a choice" rationalization, is one of those places.

The belief in a literal interpretation of Genesis and a young earth is another.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:15 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
No, your argument was that you choose to be gay.

If you are straight, when did you have gay sex to determine that you are straight?

You dodging this question again will prove that you either don't believe that you choose to be gay, or that you are gay and in denial.
I still would not advise anyone to try it to see if you like it. Too many kids do this now.

I never had gay sex to determine if I was straight, I would not go there or experiment but many do and have those around them reinforce it as good. Like I said recruiting seems to go on. You proved it.

I know you chose to be sexually gay. Every behavior is a choice since we are not robots.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There is no reason to debate the genetic basis for homosexuality, as of today there is no gay gene.

My question is are they correct to invade a private office and protest like childish 4 year olds?

It's irrational behavior.
No scientist ever claimed there was a single gay gene - that's a strawman argument. However there is definitely evidence that there is a genetic component for sexual orientation as well as a pre-natal hormone influence.

My question is:

Is it "correct" for a dubiously qualifed "therapist" to scam gullible self-loathing people out of good money for non-evidenced based, unethical, quack "treatment" that doesn't work and can be harmful?

Is it "correct" for a person to say on the media that gay teens are "barbarians" who need to be diciplined?

Is it "correct" for a person to say that most if not all gay people were sexually abused, when the evidence does not support this self-serving rather nasty claim?

A dozen people dressing up and playing a harmless prank to highlight the ridiculousness of the statements of Marcus Bachmann is not really "correct" I suppose, but it pales in comparison to the malicious anti-gay agenda the Bachmanns and their ilk are pushing.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:24 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I still would not advise anyone to try it to see if you like it. Too many kids do this now.

I never had gay sex to determine if I was straight, I would not go there or experiment but many do and have those around them reinforce it as good. Like I said recruiting seems to go on. You proved it.

I know you chose to be sexually gay. Every behavior is a choice since we are not robots.
I'm straight. I was born straight just like every other straight person and every gay person.

You are the minority now, most people support gay marriage. You are afraid of this because it's not the 1950s anymore. Blind hatred doesn't work anymore.

If you haven't had gay sex then you are probably afraid because you are.

You also don't understand sarcasm.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I say, GO MICHELE

BACHMANN 2012
Go where?

Old 07-23-2011, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The people in the video have no dignity to show off and make a public spectacle of themselves at a private clinic.

Maybe you can share some insight about why some gays choose to make a public show of their eccentricities for the world to see, and why they think they're so much more "clever" and "smarter" than everyone else.
Have you ever watched evangelicals making a public show of their "eccentricities" in full swing?

Bizarre.

Seen groups of rabid sportsfans lately?

Ridiculous.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Whoops, this is what straights talk about in recruiting from gays. How do you know you don't like it until you tried it? Then turn around and say you are not recruiting.
That's not what the poster said.

Vivid imagination you got going there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies