Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
i think many conservatives on here dont want her to get it even if she deserves it.
I think we'd like to see the exact criteria for selecting the Valedictorian, and hear from the administrators why she didn't get it before we throw the race card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
i think many conservatives on here dont want her to get it even if she deserves it.
It's liberals like you that made me leave the Democrat Party for good in 2010, and it's liberals like you that the South, for the first time since the Civil War, elected majority Republican legislatures in their states in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I'm not a conservative, or a racist, and I also live in the South. The story sounded fishy to me from the start, and when I saw that she had taken maternity leave, it made a lot more sense.

Why are you so hell bent on making it about race?
Because these people can ONLY see everything through their racism prism. If this girl was white, there'd be no outrage from the left I can assure you. But since she happens to be black, the liberals go on the attack and automatically assume it's racism.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Because these people can ONLY see everything through their racism prism. If this girl was white, there'd be no outrage from the left I can assure you. But since she happens to be black, the liberals go on the attack and automatically assume it's racism.
Of course this is correct. Because if she was white she would have been named valedictorian.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:00 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
What's wrong with maternity leave? Having the baby probably even made life harder for her, her GPA might have been even higher without it.

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
It's liberals like you that made me leave the Democrat Party for good in 2010, and it's liberals like you that the South, for the first time since the Civil War, elected majority Republican legislatures in their states in 2010.

It's because of liberals and civil rights legislation that the southern states started flocking to the Republican Party and have continued to do so.

You pretend that it's because conservatives and Republicans don't care about race? Don't make me laugh.

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
I saw that she had taken maternity leave, it made a lot more sense.
The fact that she took maternity leave has nothing to do with being valedictorian. So this point is irrelevant.

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
I'm not a conservative, or a racist, and I also live in the South. The story sounded fishy to me from the start, and when I saw that she had taken maternity leave, it made a lot more sense.

Why are you so hell bent on making it about race?
Why does maternity leave have anything to do with who is the valedictorian? Would someone be denied valedictorian for any other medical leave, say for mono, or a bad car accident?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times
Quote:
It would be nice if at least one of the regular conservative CD posters here would at least give lip service to the idea that there would be something wrong with this if she were denied because of her race.

In the absence of a single comment to that effect, my own opinion of what the conservatives around here think seems to be confirmed.
And still wrong.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
Guess what? Most people would see a pregnant teenager, not a smart teenager. That's the way the human mind works. Most people would see this as celebrating teenage pregnancy, which the country is trying to REDUCE. What message do you want to send? Hey you can be pregnant AND have good grades too!

Do you have some kind of problem with the truth? The reality is that this girl has proven with her own actions that you can get pregnant and still get good grades. The fact that her true life story doesn't fit the agenda of the moralilty scolds should not be her problem to deal with.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why does maternity leave have anything to do with who is the valedictorian? Would someone be denied valedictorian for any other medical leave, say for mono, or a bad car accident?
She's a teenage mother and will represent her entire class. I can definitely understand that there would be parent backlash to that. I wish the principal would have just come out and stated his reasoning, but I'm sure it will come out in court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies