Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:33 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
A combination of professional salaries and investment income over twenty+ years of daily 9-5 work, along with a few late nights here and there (a hazard typical of the industry), boosted us over the $250k threshold, so please don't assume you alone speak for the middle-class millionaire set. I have no idea why you think I'm motivated by guilt.
9-5? With a few late nights tossed in? How many weeks of paid vacation and who paid your health insurance?

Oh, the horror.

I'm a small business owner that folks like you, working the typical 40 hour work week who also most likely NEVER had to pay their own insurance premiums in full and got handed more paid weeks of vacation as the years of service accrued, think I should be taxed higher - when I get none of that "fancy" stuff.

I speak for myself and other small business owners I know who are overlooked yet expected to ante up. Maybe if I made what I did in a year over the course of working 8 hour days, I'd be more generous with other people's money too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:41 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As you were replying to someone who lives in my area, I will say that I can attest that a 5000 sf house on 10 a. here costs well over $300K. What you get for $300K here is 2000 sf (if you're lucky) on <1/4 acre. The hypothetical house you describe would cost several million, if you could find it at all. 10 acre homesites are rare here.
I know where you live - I don't consider where you live off the main-line.

So what's the issue with the poster who lives in your area? No common sense?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I know where you live - I don't consider where you live off the main-line.

So what's the issue with the poster who lives in your area? No common sense?
Even though this is off topic, I disagree with you completely on your assessment of her.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,827,047 times
I am a small business owner..my wife makes over $250,000 a year...me...not so much. She works I do not.

I drive a 1995 Ford F-150..she drives a Mercedes. She gave me a daughter. We built a plantation style house...with 6 columns. In 1995 I had $6000.

Obama wants to take all this from us. He can not have what we built.

The time is coming when Obama tweets..."Get what you want from Whitey".....Are you prepared? You better be.

Last edited by DraggingCanoe; 07-29-2011 at 11:11 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 11:16 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
9-5? With a few late nights tossed in? How many weeks of paid vacation and who paid your health insurance?

Oh, the horror.

I'm a small business owner that folks like you, working the typical 40 hour work week who also most likely NEVER had to pay their own insurance premiums in full and got handed more paid weeks of vacation as the years of service accrued, think I should be taxed higher - when I get none of that "fancy" stuff.

I speak for myself and other small business owners I know who are overlooked yet expected to ante up. Maybe if I made what I did in a year over the course of working 8 hour days, I'd be more generous with other people's money too.
All medical is a 100% write-off for the self employed.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:54 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times
Quote:

Oh, the horror.

This thread is no longer a conversation about an issue; it's become a very personal and insulting snipe fest. I am partly to blame for that, but I no longer wish to engage or reveal further private details of my life for dissection.

Kat, thank you for coming to my aid. I appreciate your on-line friendship, but I think it's time that I return to my real life and bring my part of this nonsense to an end. Best regards...FC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies