Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 09:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I didn't say trips to Paris- yes, we can afford to take a nice vacation every year- I said "shopping sprees". Our president would have you believing the $250k "rich" can afford to drop $35k to get on the Hermes Birkin bag waiting list and won't miss the cash one bit.

And no, sorry, on $13,500 take home pay each month, I can't afford to drop 50% of my paycheck on a Ferrari monthly payment. People who buy Ferraris have so much money they don't make "monthly payments".
Funny, I never heard Obama say anything about a Paris shopping spree or a Ferrari. Got a link?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB7778 View Post
Really?

Do you have any idea how poor you have to be to qualify for Medicaid? Do you know what that life is like? Or even what that life is like when you're living just above the Medicaid threshold? (single mom with one child making $10 per hour doesn't qualify).

The bureaucracy for any person to qualify for those programs is immense. It can take months to qualify.

People with money don't have to jump through these hoops. You obviously know nothing of being poor and attempting to navigate adult life with limited means. Stop opining on it.
Agreed!
In my state:

HCPF:Medicaid Eligibility Family and Children's Programs
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...&ssbinary=true
HCPF:Medicaid Eligibility for Persons Under Age 64

Old 07-27-2011, 10:07 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,092,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
What is even more shocking is that the person who makes $20 million a year pays the exact same amount as the couple that makes $250,000 a year for the exact same meal at a restaurant. Oh, the horror!
Better watch out...we will have to start showing prooof of income at new restaurants, lets call it the "Progressive Lunch Special"

Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Poor have 'free' healthcare...

And you just don't pay the ER bill if you go...dang you don't know much about poor people....
They don't declare bankruptcy,there is no point.
Exactly, that's how county hospitals - paid for by property taxes- stay open & busy.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:27 AM

954 posts, read 1,281,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I'm just saying you wouldn't know real poverty if it hit you with a 2X4.

Our "poor" live the life of luxury- even compared with other first world countries. There isnt mass multi-generational housing in America. Most public housing allows for each child to have his/her own bedroom. That is an upper-class privilege in Europe where income taxes are 2-3 X what they are in the US (and watch how the social welfare systems there are collapsing one by one by one....it's UNSUSTAINABLE!)

How is it "screwing them" when the average US household has ALL their basic needs provided or subsidized- food, clean water, shelter, etc? How is it "screwing" them when they have enough money left over to pay for cable, gaming systems, multiple cars, etc?

There was a poster on the personal finance forum last week whose main source of income is a welfare check. Do you know what he said he'd have to cut if he doesn't get his check due to a government interruption? NETFLIX!!!! and CABLE TV!!! Do you not see how ridiculous that is?

It's our duty to make sure all Americans are fed, clothed, and sheltered. Not to provide them with toys and luxuries. Sorry. Those are for people who make a good living- not a right of American existence.
No, that's not an upper class privilege. Also if taxes were 3x times higher in Europe, that would make the effect rate over 100%.

I'm not sure where you're getting these facts from...

Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Funny, I never heard Obama say anything about a Paris shopping spree or a Ferrari. Got a link?
It is implied by his hatred of "wealthy" and classifying people who make $250K a year as "wealthy" (a completely laughable notion). Liberals take everything so literal...

Old 07-27-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
It is implied by his hatred of "wealthy" and classifying people who make $250K a year as "wealthy" (a completely laughable notion). Liberals take everything so literal...
"Implications" can come back to bite you in the butt! Just wait!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,841 times
Quote:
There's a simple reason for that. Early in his presidency Michelle took her daughters on a Paris shopping spree.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
He ALWAYS mentions households making $250k per year in the same breath as the word "Billionaire". Billionaire invokes thoughts of Ferraris, private jets, and shopping sprees at Chanel.....not two working middle managers. The lives of the $250k hh's more closely resemble "middle class" than Billionaire. Their pocketbooks do, too.

In December, I agreed to extend the tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans because it was the only way I could prevent a tax hike on middle-class Americans. But we cannot afford $1 trillion worth of tax cuts for every millionaire and billionaire in our society. We can't afford it. And I refuse to renew them again.
Barack Obama

If we choose to keep those tax breaks (refering to the Bush cuts for those making $250k & up) for millionaires and billionaires, if we choose to keep a tax break for corporate jet owners, if we choose to keep tax breaks for oil and gas companies that are making hundreds of billions of dollars, then that means we've got to cut some kids off from getting a college scholarship.
Barack Obama

Old 07-27-2011, 02:20 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Well, in this concept that you made 20K and 4K a year came out in taxes (through payroll deductions) and this was a "burden" then you need to change your situation. Why not, I don't know, work harder to earn a better rate? The more you'll make, the more that will come out. When does that "burden" go away? Double your pay to 40K a year and you paid 8K in taxes. Is that better or still just as bad? Who shouldn't pay taxes and why? If they don't, why should the be entitled to things taxes pay for (besides handout programs, but schools, roads, firemen, police, etc). We ALL have to pay taxes and we shouldn't rely on the wealthy to take care of us. How is that even remotely fair? This is coming from someone no where NEAR wealthy --heck, I'm no where near "Well off" lol

But I'm making the best out of what we're earning on our current and messed up tax system.
so you're saying that someone born in the 70's could have achieved as much as the middle class born before that? Thats rubbish. The middle has been aggressively destroyed by the republican party. What I can't understand is how people keep voting to become wage slaves and peasants. Name one company or rich person today that does anything with out being forced to that helps the people besides giving them a $10 per hour no benefits job. The middle and poor will be forced to fight back as soon as they realize what has been done to them. Unfortunately thanks to the south another generation will have to suffer greatly under greedy class warfare republicans who believe they must create a very large underclass of cheap vulnerable labor so the massahs and their b%^^&'s can have it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies