Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 06:16 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
There is no such thing as a fair tax. I must begrudgingly admit that while a fixed tax would be the most fair in the strictest sense, it would still be slightly less fair to the rich since they DON'T use more in the way of services. The rich seldom use subsidized mass transit, they don't use the public schools, they even tend to have their own security and seldom require police.... They do however under any tax scheme pay for said services.

When me and my buddies go out and eat, the tab isn't divided equally nor by what each can afford but by what they eat. Ultimately the only fair tax would be no tax and all services commercialized and pay-as-you-go.

The problem with that is that the government would have to do away with countless agencies and useless employees who offer no product or service whatsoever and a bunch of people who earned the right to vote by simply taking up space wouldn't go for that.
Uh, this member of the $250k+ club does use public transportation daily, sends my children to public school, and has called emergency services multiple times in the past year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 06:19 PM

410 posts, read 949,824 times
Quote:
When me and my buddies go out and eat, the tab isn't divided equally nor by what each can afford but by what they eat. Ultimately the only fair tax would be no tax and all services commercialized and pay-as-you-go.
Hope you guys don't ever go for tapas.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:26 PM

410 posts, read 949,824 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as a fair tax. I must begrudgingly admit that while a fixed tax would be the most fair in the strictest sense, it would still be slightly less fair to the rich since they DON'T use more in the way of services. The rich seldom use subsidized mass transit, they don't use the public schools, they even tend to have their own security and seldom require police.... They do however under any tax scheme pay for said services.

The problem with that is that the government would have to do away with countless agencies and useless employees who offer no product or service whatsoever and a bunch of people who earned the right to vote by simply taking up space wouldn't go for that.
But anyway, so once we've stripped out subsidies for services that can be privatized and made pay-as-you-go, and we're left with the stuff that needs central funding, like the military, judicial system, law enforcement that would still need to exist in addition to private security - we're decided that a fixed, 'poll tax' is the fairest system, right?

Next question: what does the tax need to be set at, in order to maintain those institutions needed for a secure and economically effective nation? What would the amount per head be?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:30 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Hahahahaha!!! Funniest thing I've read all day. You obviously have no concept of what jets cost. To charter - not buy/ own, but RENT- a SMALL private jet cost about $2,500 / hour, not including landing fees, overnight fees, international fees, etc. A simple round-trip flight from NYC to the Carribbean (where all those rich folk play, right??) would cost about $20k just for the rented SMALL (4-seater) jet. Not including the actual trip to the Carribbean- hotels, meals, etc.

After all income taxes someone making $250k per year nets approx $162,500.

How many $20k private jet trips do you think the average family making $162k net per year is making? Z-E-R-O.

I'm all for raising taxes on the truly rich, people making $1M/year & up. But for many dual income families living in urban areas of the country, $250k is middle class. My fiance and I make a bit over $250k combined and we can barely afford to buy a home in the urban neighborhood with good public schools in our city. We are looking at 1,700sf homes built in the 1930's that haven't been updated in decades. These homes cost around $700,000-800,000. Property taxes run another $15,000/ year. That adds up to about $4,600/ mo just to pay for mortgage + taxes + insurance. That's $55,600 / year or approx 1/3 of our takehome pay. The rest of our takehome is sucked up by saving for our own retirements (because we don't have pensions and aren't counting on Uncle Sam to be funding the Social Security we'll end up paying about $850,000 into over our working years), food, car expenses, medical insurance & copays, saving for college & nanny/daycare for our future children, charitable giving, etc.

Yes, it's our choice to live in this area (or suffer a 2 hour daily commute on a $10/day tollroad in from the suburbs), but it's hardly an "extravagant" life with private jets. Get real.
Many people who do not live in the suburbs of large cities do not understand this. Little houses with $14K taxes, OK schools and an hour or more commute into the city cost a premium -- despite the fact the are in desperate need of updates.

Our health insurance is $18K alone. We also don't have a pension, so we sock away as much as possible for retirement. Add to that putting aside money each month for college savings whenever possible.

My fear is that my business profits added to the income will make us look like a $250K jet flying millionaire. Far from it.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:

Already responded to, but many of the rich that live in cities use mass transit, especially in NY and Chicago, but even here in Denver metro. Many of the rich use the public schools. What do you mean "seldom require the police"? You must be talking about way, way, rich, certainly not the $250Kers.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Same issue. NOBODY making $250k has a corporate jet.
Chances are the people with the corporate jets look down their noses at the guy or gal earning $250,000. They're not in the same league financially, housewise, or socially.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:41 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Uh, this member of the $250k+ club does use public transportation daily, sends my children to public school, and has called emergency services multiple times in the past year.
Good for you!

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
You mean:

So your reason is compromise?
No,that is the reason it cannot work,people think it would not make the 'rich' pay enough....Me personally,IF everyone paid the same flat amount,that amount would have to probably be quite a bit...how much does the fedgov need every year?

Quote:
So either the economy will fall off a cliff, or people with more money will pay much more in tax...
Hopefully the former,a consumer driven society is not worth keeping.
As to the second option,well only if they CHOOSE to spend more...

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
Perhaps so, ohbeehave, but what exactly does that have to with repealing the Bush-era tax breaks?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:43 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Already responded to, but many of the rich that live in cities use mass transit, especially in NY and Chicago, but even here in Denver metro. Many of the rich use the public schools. What do you mean "seldom require the police"? You must be talking about way, way, rich, certainly not the $250Kers.

I'm not the one calling $250K rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies