Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 03:24 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,339,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
the answer is probably not.

as long as i get mine, why would i care about the other person. thats the mindset of most people.
Yeah, but snobby elitist liberals can get real causy when they're pressured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 03:25 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,929,317 times
repealing the civil rights act would be a slap to the face of those who went through the struggle to get equal rights to begin with.

i have great respect for the freedom riders, dr. king is a personal hero of mine. i dislike people trying to minimize and eliminate something that is ingrained in american history. civil rights legislation is arguably the most important piece of legislation passed, and i oppose somebody who would want to get rid of it.

also notice the only people who want to get rid of it are white.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:29 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,479,927 times
Quote:
the answer is probably not.

as long as i get mine, why would i care about the other person. thats the mindset of most people.
Yeah thats what I figured. Remember when black people boycotted Denny's back in the 90s? The other races, not some much. I believe that what would happen with a Libertarian experiment. Hence the "wild card" called Human Nature.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Yeah thats what I figured. Remember when black people boycotted Denny's back in the 90s? The other races, not some much. I believe that what would happen with a Libertarian experiment. Hence the "wild card" called Human Nature.
exactly. why would i care if you cant get service somewhere.

i care about me getting service, and dont really care if you dont get it.

thats the mindset of most people, which is why i dont think people would really care.

the huntington valley swim club is the perfect example of that. the black and hispanic kids were kicked out because they were black and hispanic. the only people who protested were blacks, whites didnt give a damn since it didnt affect them.

thankfully the feds bankrupted there asses and that swim club is now bankrupt and gone.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:46 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,524,702 times
Quote:
repealing the civil rights act would be a slap to the face of those who went through the struggle to get equal rights to begin with.

i have great respect for the freedom riders, dr. king is a personal hero of mine. i dislike people trying to minimize and eliminate something that is ingrained in american history. civil rights legislation is arguably the most important piece of legislation passed, and i oppose somebody who would want to get rid of it.
Doesn't necessarily have to be eliminated, just a minor revision to remove the portions that reach into private affairs (with possible exclusion of private [or quasi-private] entities that are currently government funded, or which may currently be acting in some capacity as agents of the state).

Keep the remaining portion pertaining to governments relationship with its citizens with discriminated classes. In fact, if need be, extend the public portion such that it precludes non-performance based discrimination based on any form of sexual identity or preference. <--- That additional inclusion might solve a few pesky lingering political problems that have been going on for quite some time.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 07-27-2011 at 04:01 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 03:57 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,175,815 times
Some aspects of the Civil Rights Act makes sense, such as forbidding the federal government from discriminating against it's own citizens but other aspects, mainly those written as part of the Fair Housing Act, do not. The federal government oversteps its bounds by trying to dictate who a person can rent or sell their home to. A person's home is one of his greatest assets. He should be allowed to control who enters and lives there, for whatever reason that he sees fit. The Civil Rights Act tramples on property rights.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Some aspects of the Civil Rights Act makes sense, such as forbidding the federal government from discriminating against it's own citizens but other aspects, mainly those written as part of the Fair Housing Act, do not. The federal government oversteps its bounds by trying to dictate who a person can rent or sell their home to. A person's home is one of his greatest assets. He should be allowed to control who enters and lives there, for whatever reason that he sees fit. The Civil Rights Act tramples on property rights.
it does because blacks werent able to find any decent place because whites refused to let them live there.

when the whole system is rigged against you, you say f the system and rail against it.

the civil rights movement of the 60's gave a collective F you to a rigged system and corrected it.

i fear the people who want to get rid of the civil rights legislation want to rig the system again.

im also totally against it as well because its a cheap shot to king and all the other people who had the courage to take the beatings and the punishment for doing the right thing.

its white people trying to minimize it or are just clueless and dont understand the impact of it that annoys me.

one of the greatest men in american history who was behind one of the most important pieces of legislation and you have to minimize it, take away from it, and according to some people eliminate it all together. that crap pisses me off.

it also annoys me because it'll never be repealed anyway. just seems like race baiting more or less.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:13 PM

45,251 posts, read 26,502,350 times
Quote:
it does because blacks werent able to find any decent place because whites refused to let them live there.

when the whole system is rigged against you, you say f the system and rail against it.

the civil rights movement of the 60's gave a collective F you to a rigged system and corrected it.

i fear the people who want to get rid of the civil rights legislation want to rig the system again.

im also totally against it as well because its a cheap shot to king and all the other people who had the courage to take the beatings and the punishment for doing the right thing.

its white people trying to minimize it or are just clueless and dont understand the impact of it that annoys me.

one of the greatest men in american history who was behind one of the most important pieces of legislation and you have to minimize it, take away from it, and according to some people eliminate it all together. that crap pisses me off.

it also annoys me because it'll never be repealed anyway. just seems like race baiting more or less.
So your race makes you special?
I like to think I'm a person, not a color.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:29 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,175,815 times
Quote:

Well, I'm not White, so I appreciate what many Blacks like MLK Jr, Booker T. Washington and others did to turn America into a more accepting and hospitable nation for minorities. It was a long process and a difficult struggle. I don't deny or try to minimize that.

What I try to do is look at things objectively and not from the overly emotional point of view that many, including yourself, get caught up in. I understand that it's a sensitive issue, but for me personally, I'm past that. I care about what's fair. And one thing that isn't fair is the Fair Housing Act. It destroys the ability of a person to have control of his own home. If I rent out my home, I can't even ask a prospective tenant how many kids she has or else I can get sued for discrimination. These kind of ridiculous laws need to go.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:49 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,867,142 times
Quote:

It's not the place of the federal government to make sure people are nice to each other.

And on a side note, your kind of thinking only reaffirms the notion that black people are completely dependent on white people. Which they aren't, and shouldn't be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies