Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 08:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I find it odd how repubs want to make this out like it is the dems that always raise the debt ceiling. I think under Reagan it was raised 13 times and under Bush 7. Everyone wants to make this time out to be the worse of them all. Where was the concern when Reagan took our debt to 3T from under 1 T?
Where was the outrage when Bush took us from a surplus to 10.5T in debt?

and you want to blame the liberals and Obama? really? Cognitive dissonance is an amazing thing.
There was no surplus when Bush took office, the national debt, and the debt ceiling continued to climb during Clinton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:39 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,308,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The GOP never said they'd never raise the debt ceiling. What exactly is the victory?
Did you REALLY believe that John Boehner wasn't going to put some sort of deal together with Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell?

Old 07-31-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What lie are you talking about? I linked the text to the plan, so you can eat your false accusations.

I will ignore you from now on as it is quite unpleasant to read all the personal stabs coming from your direction.
You've linked to a bipartisan REPORT, that was BOTH parties, that was NEVER a plan, nor a bill, and then claimed the GOP killed it. The plan was NEVER introduced in Congress. Had the plan been introduced in the Senate, you might have a point, but it wasnt. It was dead on arrival because no one took it seriously.

Not even your own president took it seriously and pushed for the bill. His last budget proposal was so far off the mark that not ONE Democrat voted for it. If the GOP killed everything, then why didnt you get ONE Democrat to vote for the Presidents bill, and why didnt the Presidents budget proposal implement the suggestions?

I'm tired of hearing you repeat this, claiming the GOP killed something that was not proposed in Congress. Take a civics class.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-01-2011 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 07-31-2011, 08:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
So now you admit there was no 4 trillion plan. It's about time. If there was please post the link here.
Where did I say there was no $4T plan? You keep making claims that I have said things I never said. It is dishonest. You know full well, I attached the link to the text.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Did you REALLY believe that John Boehner wasn't going to put some sort of deal together with Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell?
I knew a deal would get together because neither party could afford to have a stalement stopping government. I was hopeful considering all of the "tough negotations" taking place, that there would be something meaningful, rather than just token cuts though.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,029,308 times
Quote:
Amen bro.....its all been a dog and pony show by the best in the bizz...you been played America....again.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You've linked to a bipartisan REPORT, that was BOTH parties, that was NEVER a plan, nor a bill, and then claimed the GOP killed it. Thats an outright LIE. The plan was NEVER introduced in Congress. Had the plan been introduced in the Senate, you might have a point, but it wasnt. It was dead on arrival because no one took it seriously.

Not even your own president took it seriously and pushed for the bill. His last budget proposal was so far off the mark that not ONE Democrat voted for it. If the GOP killed everything, then why didnt you get ONE Democrat to vote for the Presidents bill, and why didnt the Presidents budget proposal implement the suggestions?

I'm tired of hearing you repeat the same old lies, claiming the GOP killed something that was not proposed in Congress. Take a civics class.
This time I will report your never ending accusations and personal attacks. Enough is enough.

I said it was a bipartisal plan, and it was killed by GOP reps sitting on the very panel who wrote the plan. I never said it was introduced to the Congress, and that does not mean there was no plan. There was a plan and it was killed by GOP.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:48 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,520,378 times
Quote:
Best post of the night.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:49 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,573,754 times
Losers

Congress: Coming into this debt-ceiling showdown, Congress was about as popular as poison ivy. One can only imagine just how much further that discontent has spread after this high-profile demonstration of brinkmanship and intransigence. Lawmakers — bless their hearts — seem entirely unaware of just how bad they looked during this fight and will almost certainly spend the next few weeks (or months) congratulating themselves on their tremendous magnanimity.
Gang of Six : The group was supposed to put lie to the idea that true bipartisanship — in which both sides give somewhat equally — was dead. But the gang was never able to deliver its plans, amid departures and re-arrivals (Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma, we’re looking at you). And after a brief renaissance late in the game when Obama praised the group, it faded again — eclipsed by plans pushed by leaders in both parties.
Commissions: It seems as though the answer to every in­trac­table problem in Washington is to form a commission. Social Security insolvency on the horizon? Commission! Education failing our kids? Commission(s)! (There have been at least four.) Heck, we have already had a commission to deal with the debt problem. The likely formation of a super-commission to figure out what can and should be cut out of the federal budget may not be doomed to failure, but it has a lot of bad commission history to overcome.
Liberals: As the basic framework of the deal emerged, liberals began voicing their discontent about a bargain that left their side wanting more. With no revenue in the initial phase of the legislation and Medicare cuts on the table in the second phase, there’s not much for the ideological left to celebrate.
The debt-ceiling deal: Winners and losers - The Washington Post

Old 07-31-2011, 08:50 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,766,220 times
Quote:
Where did I say there was no $4T plan? You keep making claims that I have said things I never said. It is dishonest. You know full well, I attached the link to the text.
post 56.
Come on try a little honesty. You know no such plan was presented to Congress.

Quote:
I lose? Well, I guess you could say so because I wanted far more cuts than this. I was not referring to Obama's $4T offer but the debt panel $4T plan which was killed by GOP. That was a huge missed opportunity expecially when it came with steep corporate tax cuts.

From the plan:

We propose a six-part plan to put our nation back on a path to fiscal health, promote economic growth, and protect the most vulnerable among us. Taken as a whole, the plan will:
• Achieve nearly $4 trillion in deficit reduction through 2020, more than any effort in the nation’s history.
• Reduce the deficit to 2.3% of GDP by 2015 (2.4% excluding Social Security reform), exceeding President’s goal of primary balance (about 3% of GDP
• Sharply reduce tax rates, abolish the AMT, and cut backdoor spending in the tax code.
• Cap revenue at 21% of GDP and get spending below 22% and eventually to 21%.
• Ensure lasting Social Security solvency, prevent the projected 22% cuts to come in 2037, reduce elderly poverty, and distribute the burden fairly.
• Stabilize debt by 2014 and reduce debt to 60% of GDP by 2023 and 40% by 2035.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies