Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 07:30 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Again he has a very good point, I don't think he's talking specifically about now but if we have robots picking vegetables, collecting garbage, building roads and bridges and everything else the capitalist system begins to break down because most consumers become jobless and have no funds to purchase anything. At some point AI will become smart enough to replace you the programmer.
I agree completely, which is why personal education is never complete. The only constant in life is that nothing is constant. Either change with the times or get left behind. The days of doing the same job for 30 years are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 07:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
But at some point you're going to hit a wall and even educated people on the cutting edge are going to become "obsolete". Strange referring to humans as obsolete but it becomes inevitable.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:51 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Don't you mean "How do those people provide enough income for themselves to continue to buy products?" Why is it our responsibility?

As someone who learned computer programming (instead of whining about jobs disappearing) I am glad to see this happening!
First they came for the assembly line worker, and I did not speak out --
Because I was not an assembly line worker.

Then they came for the robot maintenance repairmen , and I did not speak out
Because I was not a robot maintenance repairmen.

Then they came for the robot programer, and I did not speak out --
Because I was not a robot programer.

Then they came for me -- and there was no one left to speak for me.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

This has been said about any sort of progress so far. Times change, change with them.

What do you want? Everyone to live like the Amish?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
This has been said about any sort of progress so far. Times change, change with them. What do you want? Everyone to live like the Amish?
Of course it has and no I am not against change, but I am concerned about the implications and how we might as a society adapt to those changes. What I find offensive is the cavalier attitude of "I've got mine, so the hell with you mentality that was the basis of your post. An attitude that is indicative of the current political climate which is ironic considering the cries about the decline of the country as economic power and the contradictory arguments that only the individual matters when it comes to maintaining a vibrant society.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Of course it has and no I am not against change, but I am concerned about the implications and how we might as a society adapt to those changes. What I find offensive is the cavalier attitude of "I've got mine, so the hell with you mentality that was the basis of your post. An attitude that is indicative of the current political climate which is ironic considering the cries about the decline of the country as economic power and the contradictory arguments that only the individual matters when it comes to maintaining a vibrant society.
I absolutely have an 'I have mine and to hell with you' mindset from a political standpoint.

I also have the complete opposite mindset from a social standpoint. I give to charity, help in my community, and do everything I can for those in need. I just have no patience for those who think such things fall into the realm of responsibility of the government. Does that make sense?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I absolutely have an 'I have mine and to hell with you' mindset from a political standpoint.
Tell me something I don't know.

Quote:
I also have the complete opposite mindset from a social standpoint. I give to charity, help in my community, and do everything I can for those in need.
Well you are going to exceedingly busy in the near future. Of course that doesn't do a damn thing to advance any kind of discussion of what kind of society we want if issues of structural unemployment keeps more people outside of the productive life blood of the country.

Quote:
I just have no patience for those who think such things fall into the realm of responsibility of the government. Does that make sense?
I don't remember making a statement regarding government. I mentioned society which to me would appear to encompass a little bit more than just the government.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:11 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,533 times

‪Kiva Warehouse Robotics (History Channel)‬‏ - YouTube

Everyone, robots and automation are the future and I can't wait.

Don't be afraid. We should embrace technological evolution.

Addition: There are millions of jobs that exist today that people a hundred years ago didn't even dream of. The people of the future will create new jobs (ones that WE can't dream of) to replace the ones that robots will be doing.

Last edited by Bostonian123; 08-08-2011 at 08:26 AM..

Old 08-08-2011, 08:22 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:

You should have been reading the book "Who Moved My Cheese?" instead of watching the world progress past you.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Tell me something I don't know.

Well you are going to exceedingly busy in the near future. Of course that doesn't do a damn thing to advance any kind of discussion of what kind of society we want if issues of structural unemployment keeps more people outside of the productive life blood of the country.

I don't remember making a statement regarding government. I mentioned society which to me would appear to encompass a little bit more than just the government.
I am not sure you understand my point. A discussion on 'what kind of society we want' is pointless. Leave people alone to deal with their own lives. If a robot takes a person's job, it is on them to find a new one. With fairness and fiscal responsibility comes consequences, and if a person is not prepared for when they lose that job, then they have to deal with those consequences. That is the type of society in which I want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies