Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 01:38 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
People who have no money for food need to think twice before having another kid. They will continue to have kids and people will sympathise with them and say, "Well at least they have a job." People need to be held accountable for their actions, don't breed them, if you can't feed them.
I never advocated having kids if you can't afford to have them. I'm just saying that most food stamp users don't fit in the "I have a million children I can't afford to feed because I sleep around" category.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:26 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Where are the dads?

"Dad" is the government.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Thank you. Quoted and bolded for all to see.

Let me repeat that quote for all to see:

People need to be held accountable for their actions, don't breed them, if you can't feed them.
How profound!

Old 08-28-2011, 04:41 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Thank you.

Quoted and bolded for emphasis. Let me repeat those phrases for all to see.

the greatest majority of those receiving food stamps do so for less than 6 months and are made up of those who have been laid off from their jobs and are looking for another.

The second largest group of food stamps receipients are those who ARE working but whose pay is so low that after they pay their rent, utilities, transportation to work, there is no money left for food.
yes but its easier for the far right to hate on the starving oppressed masses than admit they are all getting f---ked by big oil and corporate welfare. Target the single moms and minorities.......

Old 08-28-2011, 05:18 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,079,106 times
Quote:
I never advocated having kids if you can't afford to have them. I'm just saying that most food stamp users don't fit in the "I have a million children I can't afford to feed because I sleep around" category.
We have 2 and we had my step-daughter for awhile. My s-d we got no $ for because her mother is dead, and her mom never earned enough for survivor benefits. When I had my 2 children, we were both employed at decent paying jobs...then the economy tanked, and we got FS.
I just had to re-submit, and I've been told we are now making too much. Okay. They took our last couple of weeks pay and estimated. Usually, I make far less than I did last pay period...so I suppose I could reapply next month and be eligible again..but you know what? I'm not going to. I've been couponing, growing a garden and stockpiling the good deals, if we can do w/o the FS, I'm just fine with that.
Not everyone, has the "gimme-gimme' mentality. We needed the help, and I took it, but I've found a way to do without.
There are lots like me. there are lots of good working folk, that just need a hand, cos the economy sux.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:59 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
We have 2 and we had my step-daughter for awhile. My s-d we got no $ for because her mother is dead, and her mom never earned enough for survivor benefits. When I had my 2 children, we were both employed at decent paying jobs...then the economy tanked, and we got FS.
I just had to re-submit, and I've been told we are now making too much. Okay. They took our last couple of weeks pay and estimated. Usually, I make far less than I did last pay period...so I suppose I could reapply next month and be eligible again..but you know what? I'm not going to. I've been couponing, growing a garden and stockpiling the good deals, if we can do w/o the FS, I'm just fine with that.
Not everyone, has the "gimme-gimme' mentality. We needed the help, and I took it, but I've found a way to do without.
There are lots like me. there are lots of good working folk, that just need a hand, cos the economy sux.
I know and I understand. I don't judge people for having kids and then needing assistance. I am just trying to explain to other posters that most FS users aren't the "welfare queens" they so love to hate. That's my only point. I know that a wedge can really be thrown into one's life plans. I for one never envisioned myself needing FS but I did. So I understand other families and situations where people don't think they'll ever need them that end up having to apply for them. No judgment here.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:13 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
I know and I understand. I don't judge people for having kids and then needing assistance. I am just trying to explain to other posters that most FS users aren't the "welfare queens" they so love to hate. That's my only point. I know that a wedge can really be thrown into one's life plans. I for one never envisioned myself needing FS but I did. So I understand other families and situations where people don't think they'll ever need them that end up having to apply for them. No judgment here.
Some, if not all, of the posters you are speaking of all are only familiar with the stereotypes.
As my mother always said "There, but for the grace of God, goes I", when some of the poor women we are speaking of passed by on the sidewalk.
Sometimes, one has to experience what poverty is like in order to gain compassion or empathy for the other person.
Sad, isnt it?

Old 08-28-2011, 08:19 PM

80 posts, read 108,606 times
How about cutting the military budget in half? There. Now everyone could have health coverage in this country, school teachers could get a raise and there would be plenty of money for foodstamps and social security.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodoovalley View Post
How about cutting the military budget in half? There. Now everyone could have health coverage in this country, school teachers could get a raise and there would be plenty of money for foodstamps and social security.
You do realize that most of the people that work for the major armament folks only make about 40k at the max, right?
Do you have any idea how many people would be put out of work?

Old 08-28-2011, 08:41 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,872,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I know how it SHOULD be, but we have to deal with the way it is. Again, how, as a civilized people, do we deal with starving children??
It's a basic law of nature that if you don't work for survival you die. The only exception is parasites.

Short term help is understandable, generational welfare is not. Effort should be made to transition the able bodied into work. The able bodied that refuse to work can starve as that is their right to choose.

Their children should be removed as this would mean they are unfit. ( The government is already paying for their food, housing and medical ).

The sperm donors/boyfriends can also starve if they choose this route. Remove the section 8 crash pad, free food and a means to suck off the system.

People fall on hard times that's understandable. Blatant stupidity should not be rewarded. Alot of these people are like the bums you see begging for food when they have money for beer and cigarettes.

If someone feels the need to assist lazy losers they are always free to take them in or send the government a check if they want to.

Last edited by antarez; 08-28-2011 at 08:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies