Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 04:18 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Great! now were getting somewhere. Glad you feel that way. If you read this thread, most conservatives have only posted the reasons to trash the whole program, not fix it and certainly have not offered one alternative. It appears that food stamps and Obamacare fall into the same republican box of 'Kill and eliminate" rather than "Fix and Amend".
What are the comprehensive reforms the republicans have in mind? Let's get down to specifics rather than bumper sticker solutions.
For one, you can not take what some people on here state, as being the stance of the Republican Party.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:21 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
It's funny how Republicans always want to pit the poor who rely on food stamps as a "Government" waste while they subsidize farmers to the "10th. degree!
Perhaps people wouldn't need 'Welfare" or "food stamps" if they were paid a "Living wage" but that will bankrupt companies if they paid $10.10 a hour right?

$10.10 a hour equals $404 a week Gross pay! Try living on that.
Except the Republican Party doesn't feel that way, they feel that those who abuse welfare is the ones that are the ones who cause the problems.

I shouldn't have to live on that amount, because I didn't want to make minimum wage my whole life, I decided to better myself, and earn a skill that valued myself at more

Old 03-05-2014, 05:45 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,340,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
How about sending them to live in a FEMA camp to work for their upkeep?
Maybe because most people on food stamps have jobs? Because most people on food stamps have kids that are in school? Because most people on food stamps have their own obligations they need to fill?

Old 03-05-2014, 05:50 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,340,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I prefer public cafeterias where the poor would actually have to climb off their couch and show up if they want to eat. Nothing that can be taken home and traded on the black market for cash. I want a safety net and not a hammock.

How about vouchers with photo ID that must be shown to obtain services.
Well your preference is nonsense. A public cafeteria, ehh? One out of six Americans is on food stamps (I have even considered applying myself. I was told I would qualify for the full amount. But I am not desperate for food yet.) Do you know how many of these cafeterias would be needed to feed the 50 million Americans on this program?

And with Republicans cutting public transportation budgets nationwide how would the poor even get to these cafeterias? Would you be will to pay taxes to actually build these cafeterias and the parking necessary for them and continue to fund them indefinitely?

Jesus, what a ridiculous idea.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:20 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
It's funny how Republicans always want to pit the poor who rely on food stamps as a "Government" waste while they subsidize farmers to the "10th. degree!
Perhaps people wouldn't need 'Welfare" or "food stamps" if they were paid a "Living wage" but that will bankrupt companies if they paid $10.10 a hour right?

$10.10 a hour equals $404 a week Gross pay! Try living on that.
How will Annie's Organic Yogurt Store on the corner pay her employees 30% more if she can barely pay for the lease on the space, supplies, and a very modest salary for herself?

Oh, I see. Philistine neo-proggies are using the narrow lens of "fat cat" Fortune 500 companies like Wal-Mart and McDonald's as their litmus test regarding the increase of min wage.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:33 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,754,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
A 5.7% cut in the military which is larger than the next 7 largest militaries combined is not exactly "eliminating the military" as you put it.
A friend of mine talked to a retired three star General and he stated " they could cut the military 10% and not miss a beat" I agree with this, because if we cut their budget, then maybe they will spend their money wisely and not buy crap they don't need like $500 hammers and the like.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:38 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
That is no different than what you yourself said. How about owning up to your own post before you try and spin insults towards others?
I have never suggested that anybody go hungry or that anybody have their children go hungry. I fully support helping people in need.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:40 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
I'm not a Republican but we should totally eliminate the Farm Bill.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:47 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I'm not a Republican but we should totally eliminate the Farm Bill.

Food stamps are funded through the Farm Bill.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:04 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Maybe some of those people should have thought twice (or six times in that one ladies case) before bringing children into a world where they had no means to support them.

Maybe she could have sold her gold earrings for some money.

Absolutely! It's really simple. One or both parties should exercise their own responsibility to protect themselves to avoid unwanted pregnancies. Is it full proof? No. But it worked for me, and millions of others. I have one child to speak of, and that is with the woman that I married. The other option is to abstain of course, but with human nature comes those urges, that aren't always easy to overcome, and isn't reality. Back in the day we used to say things like "no glove, no love" or "make sure to wear your raincoat when playing in the rain."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies