Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:55 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,498,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why don't you ask your parents why they're drilling for gas in your backyard? How many people do you know that have oil wells in their backyards or coal pits or nat gas wells? I don't know any.
My parents don't have any wells on their property, I made that up to make a point.

But, there has been a lot of gas well activity in the area because of the Marcellus and Utica shale deposits.
Utica Shale - The Natural Gas Giant Below the Marcellus?
Some people see this as a boon to the local economy, and others are worried about the long-term effects of fracking.

Or, in the context of this thread: "Who cares about our children's future, we want our money now!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 09:03 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Talk to Obama about it.

.: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page :.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:16 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
I think I'll worry about all the radiation being spewed out from fukushima before your doom and gloom scenarios.

As for fracking take it up with your former hero of wind T Boone Pickens. He was all gung ho about it until he found out he couldn't get the taxpayers to pay for all his transmission lines. No he's moved on to trying to steal all the water from ogallala to fracking.
Sure. It's easy to act worried about radiation that won't be a problem here. Nice red herring, KU.

We have windmills all over the foothills outside town. There were more planned, but we put a stop to them for the reasons you mentioned... the companies are going to have to pay for their own transmission lines in this neck of the woods. None of the power generated is going to local substations, either.

If you have already seen the consequences of fracking, why in hell are you worried about Fukushima? You should already know everything I mentioned. I'm not talking about doom and gloom- all the stuff I mentioned has happened already. Come out and talk to some folks in Wyoming about fracking, then warn them about all the dangers of Fukushima. Bring your best running shoes when you do. And there ain't no libruls in Wyoming!

Apparently, you gapped out before you got to my last comment- I don't have anything against fracking. It just needs to be done transparently, so the public knows the risks and rewards before the bore holes are drilled.Check with your doctor- they have pills to fix that tiny little attention span of yours.

So far, the gas drillers have kept the public in the dark about how fracking works. They can either do it the right way, or they can try to do it like they have always done in the past- strip it out, and leave the mess for others. The second isn't working out here in the Intermountain West so well. We have been there, done that, for over 100 years now, and enough is enough.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:23 AM

954 posts, read 1,281,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You would eat berries!! How thoughtless of you, don't berries deserve to live and long a fruitful life?

All these idiot tree-hugers; while reaping the benefits of a century of technological evolution and a life of convieniences all due to a world powered by refining petroleum.
But whose continued existence does not require a world powered by refining petroleum.

Shoot, if it were 1900, you'd be complaining about those tree hugging hippies, who want to drill for petroleum rather than hunt whales for oil blubber.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:33 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Like I said folks have been saying the same thing since the '70's. We should be out by now according to them. Exxon just found a billion barrels in the gulf. Keep preaching the doom and gloom because your bound to be right someday though.
U.S. production did peak in the 70's. Nothing has been "discovered" in the Gulf, it was already known. It's also not nearly enough to solve any of our problems.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Sure. It's easy to act worried about radiation that won't be a problem here. Nice red herring, KU.

We have windmills all over the foothills outside town. There were more planned, but we put a stop to them for the reasons you mentioned... the companies are going to have to pay for their own transmission lines in this neck of the woods. None of the power generated is going to local substations, either.

If you have already seen the consequences of fracking, why in hell are you worried about Fukushima? You should already know everything I mentioned. I'm not talking about doom and gloom- all the stuff I mentioned has happened already. Come out and talk to some folks in Wyoming about fracking, then warn them about all the dangers of Fukushima. Bring your best running shoes when you do. And there ain't no libruls in Wyoming!

Apparently, you gapped out before you got to my last comment- I don't have anything against fracking. It just needs to be done transparently, so the public knows the risks and rewards before the bore holes are drilled.Check with your doctor- they have pills to fix that tiny little attention span of yours.

So far, the gas drillers have kept the public in the dark about how fracking works. They can either do it the right way, or they can try to do it like they have always done in the past- strip it out, and leave the mess for others. The second isn't working out here in the Intermountain West so well. We have been there, done that, for over 100 years now, and enough is enough.
I suggest you take up the nat gas drilling issue with the greenies. After all they are the ones pushing it. Natural gas is one of their favorite new "green" pets. Even sounds green. No evil co2 emitted. Of course there is methane released which is much more of a contributor to the greenhouse effect but that won't stop the co2 haters. EPA thinks co2 is pollution now. EPA keeps draggin its feet like you say because they want natural gas to punish the evil oil and coal companies. The link I posted earlier shows where the gov stands on fracking it appears. Personally I think algae has a bigger upside than all this but nobody seems to interested in it now. Probably not enough money to be made.

As for Fukushima I suggest you read up on what's still going on there. That is for another thread though. I started one a few weeks ago but nobody seems to care much.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
U.S. production did peak in the 70's. Nothing has been "discovered" in the Gulf, it was already known. It's also not nearly enough to solve any of our problems.
So nothing has been discovered in the gulf since the seventies?? Or are you saying the 100 billion was already known about?

Old 08-20-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
So nothing has been discovered in the gulf since the seventies?? Or are you saying the 100 billion was already known about?
Oil was being extracted from the Gulf in the 30's and 40's, there's nothing new down there. The problem has always been getting to it without destroying the ocean as BP did recently.

Do you think that any of the domestic oil will solve any problems, when we use over 7 billion barrels every year?

Old 08-20-2011, 11:03 PM

I guess you don't understand the supply and demand concept. Where exactly were they extracting oil in the '30's and 40's? I don't think they had any deep water rigs unless the aliens were helping em.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:32 AM

Quote:
I guess you don't understand the supply and demand concept. Where exactly were they extracting oil in the '30's and 40's? I don't think they had any deep water rigs unless the aliens were helping em.
The Gulf. Offshore.

There's no more oil down there now then back then. Technology has improved, but it's still not going to help us in any real way.

But this is about Colorado not the Gulf, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies