Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Maybe the Progressives should have thought about the outcome before they gave all of our manufacturing jobs away and created a "service" economy. It was the stupidest thing to have ever done. Now we are suffering with the consequences of yet another not so well thought out Progressive plan. There simply IS NOT enough service jobs that you can live off of for the entire working population. That was a no brainer, but the Progressives had a massive brain fart and were actually happy about it as witnessed by the speech ole BJ Willy gave when he was leaving the WH and said that our economy has been successfully transformed from an industrialized economy to a service economy.
I agree with you that the lack of manufacturing is a major problem. We have the same problem here, a society only needs so many shops and banks etc.

But why is that the fault of progressives? Quite to the contrary, the reason for outsourcing was and is a rather conservative American priority, namely competition. Companies outsource manufacturing so they can offer their products cheaper than the competition and give more money to shareholders. Those were definitively not progressive ideas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 11:10 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Don't play stupid, you know that was directed at you. A bigot race bater just like Waters.
If you didn't get the meaning of that post, you are the stupid one.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:53 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Whatever the reason, fact is, there are not nearly enough jobs for everyone. So what are those people supposed to do? Start stealing food?
Look... After 30 years I lost my construction business in 2007. I was hit by credit card fraud ring for $32k. Even though I managed to bust the guys (they got 2.5 years on a plea deal), everything I had worked for was stolen from me because the merchant processor came after me for the money. I'm not friendly to banks and corporations, but I know how business is. When I was put under, so was my wife and the five guys who worked for me. On top of that, my dually was totaled while parked in front of my home by an illegal Mexican delivering pizzas who had no insurance. This is California, the cops didn't even arrest him.

I'm unable to physically start over in my trade, so I started building a new business online by selling on eBay. I sold that and started another business making personalized teddy bears and a new marketing service. I do whatever it takes to pay the bills.

I pulled myself up and fended for myself. I didn't sit on the couch feeling sorry for myself, and I didn't look for a handout from Uncle Sam. I'm certainly not in great shape financially, but I'm also covering my bills with little to no help, nor did I look for any.

Why do so many people look to make their condition someone elses problem?

Old 08-24-2011, 11:58 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Quote:
I agree with you that the lack of manufacturing is a major problem. We have the same problem here, a society only needs so many shops and banks etc.

But why is that the fault of progressives? Quite to the contrary, the reason for outsourcing was and is a rather conservative American priority, namely competition. Companies outsource manufacturing so they can offer their products cheaper than the competition and give more money to shareholders. Those were definitively not progressive ideas...
It's COMPLETELY a Progressive idea. Progressives believe that America has too high of a living standard. One of their planks is to "level the playing field". Most of the sheep think it means to level it here, but they are wrong, it is to take OUR wealth and ship it to other poorer countries. THEY are the ones who repealed Glass-Steagall that lead to people losing their retirements and life savings, they pushed for NAFTA and the preferable trade status with China. I don't want to have to repeat what Bill Clinton said when he was leaving office, he thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Look at what it caused now.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Look... After 30 years I lost my construction business in 2007. I was hit by credit card fraud ring for $32k. Even though I managed to bust the guys (they got 2.5 years on a plea deal), everything I had worked for was stolen from me because the merchant processor came after me for the money. I'm not friendly to banks and corporations, but I know how business is. When I was put under, so was my wife and the five guys who worked for me. On top of that, my dually was totaled while parked in front of my home by an illegal Mexican delivering pizzas who had no insurance. This is California, the cops didn't even arrest him.

I'm unable to physically start over in my trade, so I started building a new business online by selling on eBay. I sold that and started another business making personalized teddy bears and a new marketing service. I do whatever it takes to pay the bills.

I pulled myself up and fended for myself. I didn't sit on the couch feeling sorry for myself, and I didn't look for a handout from Uncle Sam. I'm certainly not in great shape financially, but I'm also covering my bills with little to no help, nor did I look for any.

Why do so many people look to make their condition someone elses problem?
Fine if you managed to cope with those events, but not everyone is a fighter, not everyone has the energy or whatever.
That's what a social net is there for...

Old 08-24-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It's COMPLETELY a Progressive idea. Progressives believe that America has too high of a living standard. One of their planks is to "level the playing field". Most of the sheep think it means to level it here, but they are wrong, it is to take OUR wealth and ship it to other poorer countries. THEY are the ones who repealed Glass-Steagall that lead to people losing their retirements and life savings, they pushed for NAFTA and the preferable trade status with China. I don't want to have to repeat what Bill Clinton said when he was leaving office, he thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Look at what it caused now.
I disagree. Globalization started thousands of years ago around the Mediterranean and in China, and all those people back then were quite conservative. And most Americans who benefit from globalization are also on the conservative side, namely businessmen, managers, shareholders, etc.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:25 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,948 times
Maxine Waters is so in touch with her monority brethren, especially since she has been hurt so badly by the recession her self, and knows what pain life must be.

Maxine Waters (D-Calif), 2009 | Personal Finance Disclosure | OpenSecrets

Ya, those stinking rich people need to be taxed more

Old 08-24-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Fine if you managed to cope with those events, but not everyone is a fighter, not everyone has the energy or whatever.
That's what a social net is there for...
How is a 52-year-old guy who worked, on his knees as a flooring installer, for 35 years in a better position to fight for himself? You completely ignored that "I AM NOT PHYSICALLY ABLE to do my own trade! That is an insane position to take and condescending toward me. You wrote me off like I'm some special case.

NO, a social net is there to provide a means to getting into the next job not as an income replacement. It has become a drug that keeps people from having the will to work harder, or to fight for themselves. You've just become used to having handouts that should'nt exist in the first place.

It is a fact that people will remain on unemployment as long as it is offered. Lets make it 250 weeks like Sweden did. 5 years they allowed people to live off the so-called social net. They had a huge problem getting people off their asses and back into the work force. They reduced it to 2 years and guess what, people stayed on it for 22 months and then started looking for work. It isn't rocket science to understand that people take advantage of anything they are offered. Like the wealthy who stood in lines around the block for the free bicycle helmets... they're reasoning; "hey its free!"

It's one thing if someone is disabled, and quite another if they are just abusing a handout.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:12 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Quote:
I disagree. Globalization started thousands of years ago around the Mediterranean and in China, and all those people back then were quite conservative. And most Americans who benefit from globalization are also on the conservative side, namely businessmen, managers, shareholders, etc.
Yeah, it started way back then. What a looney thing to say.
Benefiting from a structure that was put into place is different than CREATING the damn structure, knowing what it will do, in the first place. Just like the tax arguments, BIG rich Lefties take advantage of loopholes and offshore accounts while they complain about the rich not paying their fair share. They create these loopholes, then complain that it is hurting the economy, all the while they take every single one they can and then some!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
How is globalization milenia ago related to the technology based globalization of today? Two thousand years ago it took months to get a message from Asia to Europe, the Americas and Australia hadn't been discovered yet.

You can equate todays baking structure to being built on the foundation of the Knights Templar and I'd even go so far as to say the most dangerous people on the planet are the Rothschilds and Rockefellers. These people have no political bias. They care less who is in power. They make money from war and are to blame for just about every war in the last 300 years. You equate them to conservatives? Are you mad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies