Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

Everyone saying this was a non-event should see the news out of Vermont. Worst flooding since the massive 1927 floods, major highways destroyed, bridges gone, buildings off foundations, etc. It was no joke or laughing matter here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 07:00 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The media as well as the mayors and governors of all of the affected states did a terrific job; TWC, CNN & Fox all supplied exhaustive coverage, and they all did very well IMHO.

To suggest that the media overhyped this is beyond asinine; they relayed the warnings to evacuate given by all of the mayors of the affected areas from NC to MA, and it was up to the citizens to obey them, otherwise several million folks would have perished.
I totally agree with you. This hurricane effected 25% of America's population. To ignore that fact and not give it the coverage they did would have been a disservice to all of us who have friends or relatives on the east coast, not to mention all those people directly effected by the path of the storm.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:03 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Ironic, isn't it, that last winter you were here whining (big time) that NYC wasn't as prepared for a major snow storm as you thought they should be. Now you're here whining that they were too prepared, too cautious for this hurricane. Perhaps you should become a meteorologist so you can get it just right for the nation. That way, all those people who depend on predictions to do their jobs won't have to disappoint you in the future.

"" Ironic, isn't it, that last winter you were here whining (big time) that NYC wasn't as prepared for a major snow storm as you thought they should be """

Well that's because they weren't out plowing

BEFORE

it snowed....

Old 08-29-2011, 07:07 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Ironic, isn't it, that last winter you were here whining (big time) that NYC wasn't as prepared for a major snow storm as you thought they should be. Now you're here whining that they were too prepared, too cautious for this hurricane. Perhaps you should become a meteorologist so you can get it just right for the nation. That way, all those people who depend on predictions to do their jobs won't have to disappoint you in the future.

I don't think preparation had much to do with the incompetence and neglect seen on the streets of NYC at that time. That had to do with the union. The city had no problem keeping the "important" parts of the city open for business.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:08 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I get a kick out of coverage of hurricanes. I think the reporters on the scene die if a hurricane doesn't hit in a major city. I think it was Rita when they were all standing in New Orleans and it hit a smaller town further to their west, I believe. They had you believe drops in the puddle in the major city was more camera worthy than devastation in the small town. Even when they knew where it was going to touch down, they didn't budge. Probably no Starbucks in the town where it hit.

During this storm, the hurricane was pounding the heck out of North Carolina and Virginia Beach and who did they interview? Some woman living on New York's West Side where it was drizzling, at the time. It reminds me of when some hot political issue is happening and they walk outside their studio and ask people what they think and then proclaim "The people are very adamant blah, blah, blah." No the people aren't very adamant about blah, blah, blah just the New Yorkers who walk by your offices are.

I do not know what station you watched, but I tuned into FOX and they covered it as it moved
they did a great job
today I hear the death total is 18
how many have to die before it becomes important to people like you??
what a sad life you must live reliving past news from years ago!
do you just sit at your TV and complain??
good grief!!
God, please keep my heart from being as hard as stone, let me feel others pain, and help me to love~to put aside myself and have compassion for others suffering today!!

Old 08-29-2011, 07:09 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
It was hyped because when was the last time a hurricane went that far north? I remember one in the 1980's
that was Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"The truth is that the dire warning beforehand suited both politicians and journalists. Just as with the minor earthquake that shook the east coast last week causing no loss of life and virtually no damage, Irene became a huge story because it was where the media lived. For politicians, Irene was a chance to either make amends or appear in control. The White House sent out 25 Irene emails to the press on Saturday alone."

Perfect Storm of Hype: Politicians, the media and the Hurricane Irene apocalypse that never was – Telegraph Blogs

So, was this way overblown simply because of the NY/DC media? Would it have been as big of a round the clock story if it happened in the midwest?

I have to comment that CNN had the best overall coverage, in my opinion. For example, I was interested in Ocean City, MD and only CNN had a reporter there. They had reporters everywhere up and down the coast. Fox News treated it like a NY story and the Weather Channel was just dull.
it was hyped because of the disaster of Katrina

better safe than sorry

Old 08-29-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Having lived through numeorus hurricanes and tropical storms, it is really wise to err on the cautious side.

I know the evacuation orders are inconvient and troublesome, but these storms are vicious and can be killers----so if they disrupt your lives for a day or so with orders to leave, and the storm doesnt hit the area, dont blame the authorities---they are just looking out for your welfare.

We have seen the enormous devastation of hurricanes-------just evacuate and put up with you may perceive to be hype. You can always recover from over hype-----but you may not recover if you may a bad decision and one of these monsters hits you directly.
Good post and should shut up those who are whining because they are incapable of shutting their TV off....but it probably won't...it contains way too much common sense!

Old 08-29-2011, 07:17 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
From a hysterical category 3 and strengthening, to a Cat 1.

The media and government officials look like idiots.
What does this even mean? You think the government played a role in taking the storm from a strengthening Cat3 cruising through 85 degree waters, to a Cat1?

The government prepares for what it can, based on the information it has. For us, the storm went just a ways to the east, and we ended up with 60mph winds and 8 or 9 inches of rain. We lost power for about a day, and had major thoroughfares blocked by trees and downed power lines in the middle of the night. This required a coordinated response, not your typical day at the office.

However, just a few days ago, there was a reasonable prediction that a Cat 4 would hit us directly. That would've been a different story altogether. You can't blame the government for preparing.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 08-29-2011 at 07:29 AM..

Old 08-29-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
What does this even mean? You think the government took it from a strengthening Cat3, to a Cat1?

The government prepares for what it can, based on the information it has. For us, the storm went just a ways to the east, and we ended up with 60mph winds and 8 or 9 inches of rain.

However, just a few days ago, there was a reasonable prediction that a Cat 4 would hit my town directly. That would've been a different story altogether.
""" You think the government took it from a strengthening Cat3, to a Cat1?"""

Only with a Democrat as President......the one she refers to as "man/child" (boy)

Old 08-29-2011, 07:25 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
So 21 dead, many millions without power, and $10 billion dollars worth of damage is no disaster to certain posters! How disrespectful to those affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies