Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 06:44 PM

30,086 posts, read 18,701,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
"I like your Christ, I don't like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."

-Gandhi

Is that the same Ghandi who had sex with young girls? I think it is. I guess I am a little reluctant to seek out the wisdom of a pedophile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 08:31 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,426,810 times
Gandhi was not a pedophile.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:32 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,492,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Is that the same Ghandi who had sex with young girls? I think it is. I guess I am a little reluctant to seek out the wisdom of a pedophile.
Gandhi was celibate. Do you have any source for any of your statements other than your fevered imagination?

Old 08-28-2011, 10:52 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,609,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
No offense intended, but presuming that you're in fact a "Christian", then seriously, what do you think being a "Christian" is all about? Does it actually guide your life with things like the 10 Commandments ("Thou shalt not kill", etc.), and living according to Christ's teachings ("By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another")?

Or is it simply about "preaching" and repeating the right "dogma" (aka, living like the Pharisees: “But do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.”)? Isn't this what Vance (a self-admitted "Bible-believing Christian and theological and cultural conservative") is talking about.... the disconnect between what Christianity says and what few actually do?
What do you think a Christian should be all about? (ref in bold)
If they take our land lets just let them keep it. Right? We should not wage war right?

Okay, let's look at this Vance guy, he says in his article:
The result of Christian support for war reminds me of a story in the Old Testament about two sons of the patriarch Jacob. In order to avenge the rape of their sister by some foreigners, the sons of Jacob told their leader that if his people consented to be circumcised, then both groups of people could intermarry and the rapist could have their sister to wife. Christianity and War by Laurence M. Vance

Now, I'm looking at the story:
Daily Bible Study - Dinah and Shechem
"Blinded by their lust for Dinah and their covetousness of Jacob's property, all the men of the city agreed to the offer. When they did, Dinah's heavily-outnumbered brothers attacked."

Now, you tell me, what's wrong with this picture? Should they have let them have their way with the daughter, the sister? Oh and give them their property to boot, is that it?

I don't care if this guy is a self proclaimed Christian or not. If he gets the story right, then kuddos for him. If he gets it wrong, then he's the deceiver and a person on a mission on an insightful one, that has nothing to do with Jesus.

PS: What do you want the Christian to do, that you yourself would not do in certain circumstances?

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 08-28-2011 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: PS

Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,533,375 times
People go back to the Old Testament to show how Christians ACT.

THERE WERE NO CHRISTIANS BEFORE THE NEW TESTAMENT----AFTER JESUS DIED.

If Vance is doing that then he is dumb so why read anything he writes?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:48 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,549,251 times
The teachings of Jesus are literate and easy to understand. Early Christians in the Roman Empire were tortured without mercy and for sport as well. To think that the prostitution of Christ's teachings by these warmongers in the Church and Republican leadership shows a serious educational and moral deficit in people who call themselves "Christian's", but act much more like murderers and the accomplice and enablers of those who are.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
The teachings of Jesus are literate and easy to understand. Early Christians in the Roman Empire were tortured without mercy and for sport as well. To think that the prostitution of Christ's teachings by these warmongers in the Church and Republican leadership shows a serious educational and moral deficit in people who call themselves "Christian's", but act much more like murderers and the accomplice and enablers of those who are.
HUH? Republican leaders just call themselves Christian and act like murderers? You will need to explain that.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:49 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,549,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
HUH? Republican leaders just call themselves Christian and act like murderers? You will need to explain that.
They have no problem killing 1,000,000 people in Iraq and Afghanistan.

What would you call the bloodshed in Iraq? Maybe I should not have asked that, as god only knows how they've manipulated your thought processes.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
They have no problem killing 1,000,000 people in Iraq and Afghanistan.

What would you call the bloodshed in Iraq? Maybe I should not have asked that, as god only knows how they've manipulated your thought processes.
So you think Obama is Christian then. He is killing many in the wars but he is a Democrat. HMMMMMM

Old 08-29-2011, 10:37 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,871,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
"The morality of going to war in the first place, as well as the number of dead and wounded Iraqis and Afghans, is of absolutely no concern to most American Christians." Christianity and War by Laurence M. Vance

I have an idea. Let's give to those folks all our land so they will stop their war. Let's give to them whatever it is they want so they will stop killing Americans.
I don't think they want our land, I think they just want us to leave their land.
Their war? lol
I think if we left them in peace and brought the troops home no one would be getting killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies