Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 03:15 AM

33,574 posts, read 18,177,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Oh how scary! The power of the "Obamamafia"! Did you not have a cell phone with you to call the police? (Most white people do!).
Maybe we can help you find this culprit with the following descriptions:

1: He is "blacker" than a piece of coal!
2: He had "nappy hair" (for further description on what "Nappy hair" looks like call Don Imus")
3: "I think he had gold teeth but his shining scalp full of Jerry curl nearly blinded me.
4: There were several "bootylicious" white girls in his back seat!
5: He was driving a purple Cadillac! (with expired tags!)
Yeah right... a guy is pushing me from lane to lane and I am trying to keep from crashing into someone else at 70 mph and I have to grab my cell and call...You never drove on a NJ highway at rush hour. Needless to say , I took the Cain Palin sticker off my car. He won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 03:54 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Are you stoned or something?
No i am not stoned (thanks for the derogatory comment!)
just surprised a picture like this would be hanging outside the
or inside the white house

Old 09-01-2011, 04:02 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm pretty much anti-censorship, but I'm interested in you elaborating on your point. Do you think the OP of this thread is determining that the painting is offensive because he doesn't like the President, or doesn't like Norman Rockwell, or doesn't like Ruby Bridges? Is that what you're saying?
What I mean is what would the reaction be if that same painting were hanging in the Bush White House?

Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Nothing is wrong with it. I just would have made a different choice. To each his own. It's really not a big deal to me at all, not in the least, the only reason I chimed in here was because I wanted to point out that one can disagree with this particular choice without disagreeing with education.
Oh, I'm with you!

Let's take down all the portraits of slave owners in the White House..."we" all know about that.
(There are more than ONE painting in the White House)

Let's take down all paintings of any wars hanging in the WH ..."we" all know about that.

Let's eliminate the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial...."we" all are born knowing about them.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:31 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,001,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Why in the world do you think I am NOT offended by the rewriting of one of the 19th century greats, and a MO native to boot?
Where did I say it was ok?
Because rewriting of classics is never ok, I put that on a par with revisionist history.
Glad you think that way we should never tamper with the truth no matter how painful it may be.Censorship is as bad as a book burning in my opinion.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:42 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,541,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What I mean is what would the reaction be if that same painting were hanging in the Bush White House?

I can only speak for myself. But the reaction would have been one of respect. Ruby Bridge is apart of American history, Churhill no so much.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
No i am not stoned (thanks for the derogatory comment!)
just surprised a picture like this would be hanging outside the
or inside the white house
You are obviously in dire need of some art history classes, as well as some history in general classes.
If you dont understand what the painting is about, or why the POTUS chose this painting, you either didnt read the thread, or you know nothing about US history.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Glad you think that way we should never tamper with the truth no matter how painful it may be.Censorship is as bad as a book burning in my opinion.
Totally agree....censorship is a very slippery slope.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,571,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The Rockwell illustration is about an event in history. Do you not get that? Do you want all paintings that illustrate historical events sanitized to take out everything that might offend your kids? No blood or severed limbs in paintings of the Civil War. No dead trees or burning bodies in paintings of Hiroshima? A black president that has historical art depicting black history hanging in the White House makes perfect sense to anyone not trying to make a political mountain out of a mole hill. A little girl named Ruby Bridges walked past the "N" word graffiti on her historic desegregation walk and she helped open the doors to equal education for people like Obama. Deal with it.
Affirmative action is not about equality, it's about some getting treated special cause they have a handicap called skin color or a nationality that puts them at the front of the line. We have dumbed down our entire educational system for this so called "equality"

Old 09-01-2011, 11:13 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,541,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Affirmative action is not about equality, it's about some getting treated special cause they have a handicap called skin color or a nationality that puts them at the front of the line. We have dumbed down our entire educational system for this so called "equality"

Ok, I have got to ask, how do you go from Integration of Schools to Affirmative action? So you believe that we should not only abolish affirmative action which benefits White women more, but we should aslo go back to Segregation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies