Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:14 AM

855 posts, read 1,172,991 times

Advertisements

if you cannot understand the horrible history of the "term" colored and how it was hurtful to black people in America, then you really are quite insensitive and ignorant of this country's history. It's not being PC. It's a painful reminder of segregation, jim crow, and kids being killed for being "colored."

are posters on this forum that obtuse to not understand why people would think the term colored is offensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
I still have never seen Glenn Beck or even heard his voice. That is the benefit of ditching cable tv, saving a few bucks, and reading books instead of deriving views from histrionic entertainers and two-bit con men.

Some of you might want to do the same. Not a sermon. Just a suggestion.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:21 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
if you cannot understand the horrible history of the "term" colored and how it was hurtful to black people in America, then you really are quite insensitive and ignorant of this country's history. It's not being PC. It's a painful reminder of segregation, jim crow, and kids being killed for being "colored."

are posters on this forum that obtuse to not understand why people would think the term colored is offensive?
And if you would actually listen to the segment, you would know, that Beck was not advocating for the term colored. What he spoke of was to not use the term African American. He was saying that other countries use the terms black and colored. Here in America we still use the term black so why use the hyphenated term of African American. Beck was advocating for everyone to be called Americans and not separate races by hyphenating their nationality.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:22 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,136,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I still have never seen Glenn Beck or even heard his voice. That is the benefit of ditching cable tv, saving a few bucks, and reading books instead of deriving views from histrionic entertainers and two-bit con men.

Some of you might want to do the same. Not a sermon. Just a suggestion.
Or you could read the real full text of what he actually said. It's far different from what the Huff and dumb liberals try to make it out to be.

I posted a link on page 4.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,136,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
And if you would actually listen to the segment, you would know, that Beck was not advocating for the term colored. What he spoke of was to not use the term African American. He was saying that other countries use the terms black and colored. Here in America we still use the term black so why use the hyphenated term of African American. Beck was advocating for everyone to be called Americans and not separate races by hyphenating their nationality.
Thank you. Some of them know what he actually said and his true meaning but don't care. Others are just that dumb to not understand it. And others will look at a headline alone and take it as fact.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:25 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish2 View Post
X2.. Unless you were born in Africa, and are now living in America.. you aren't African American.
Hmmm - need to tell all my Cuban-American neighbors that they need to re-define themselves....

Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:

why is 'people of color' not then equally offensive?

seems odd.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,582 times
Quote:

I understand how it can be considered offensive based on the semantics alone. "Colored" implies that you start with "White" and then do something to it to get "Colored." And by the way I grew up in a part of the US where Jim Crow, segregation and kids getting killed for their color was not part of the history.

I also remember how the terms "Colored" and "Negro" were replaced by the term "Black" when I was young. Somehow I get the feeling that someone will get ticked off now if you say "Black" as opposed to "African-American" even though it is burned into my mind that "Black" is associated with pride.

To me it all comes down to the tone - you can use any term, even a PC one and with a sneering tone it becomes an insult. The memories I have of people using the term "Colored" are that it was used in a respectful tone. Again, if it is offensive then the NAACP should stop using it. As long as they call themselves the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People I am going to assume that they do not find it offensive.

I do think that the term "African American" is one that should not have been introduced. I would have to call myself a "European-Middle Eastern-American" to be comparable. And what happens to people of mixed heritage anyway?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:30 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I understand how it can be considered offensive based on the semantics alone. "Colored" implies that you start with "White" and then do something to it to get "Colored." And by the way I grew up in a part of the US where Jim Crow, segregation and kids getting killed for their color was not part of the history.

I also remember how the terms "Colored" and "Negro" were replaced by the term "Black" when I was young. Somehow I get the feeling that someone will get ticked off now if you say "Black" as opposed to "African-American" even though it is burned into my mind that "Black" is associated with pride.

To me it all comes down to the tone - you can use any term, even a PC one and with a sneering tone it becomes an insult. The memories I have of people using the term "Colored" are that it was used in a respectful tone. Again, if it is offensive then the NAACP should stop using it. As long as they call themselves the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People I am going to assume that they do not find it offensive.
Actually for my family, we would find it far more offensive to call us African American. Even my kids will correct you if you call them African American. they will tell you they are Americans who happen to be black.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:34 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
And "Coloreds" is a better ???
The NAACP doesn't seem to mind. You are aware of what the "C" stands for aren't you (hint: it's not the speed of light)?

It also didnt seem to cause a stir amongst the who's who of black celebrity who starred in the film For Colored Girls.

Do you always flame out to common sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies