Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:21 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

Okay, that may be an exaggeration but not by much.

"Cash tolls on the George Washington Bridge, Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel, Goethals Bridge, Bayonne Bride and Outerbridge Crossing are scheduled to rise from $8 to $12 at 3 a.m. on Sunday. By December 2015 cash tolls would increase gradually to $15 under a plan approved Aug. 19 by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey."

AAA to feds: Stop NY-NJ bridge, tunnel toll hike - WSJ.com

$12 to cross a flippin' bridge?

"The Associated Press left a message for a port authority representative. Its board members have said the fare increases will pay for construction that is fueling the region's economy. It also says it needs more money to replace the cables on the George Washington Bridge, rehabilitate the corkscrew-shaped ramp into the Lincoln Tunnel and take on other maintenance projects. The authority receives no tax money and supports itself through tolls, fares, fees and rent paid by businesses at its ports, airports and other properties."

Yeah, but $12? And how does this relate to Obama's Job Infrastructure thing? If they're raising the toll money what are the rest of us taxpayers, who don't cross the bridge, paying for with our tax dollars in the Obama Jobs Act?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 10:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Okay, that may be an exaggeration but not by much.

"Cash tolls on the George Washington Bridge, Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel, Goethals Bridge, Bayonne Bride and Outerbridge Crossing are scheduled to rise from $8 to $12 at 3 a.m. on Sunday. By December 2015 cash tolls would increase gradually to $15 under a plan approved Aug. 19 by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey."

AAA to feds: Stop NY-NJ bridge, tunnel toll hike - WSJ.com

$12 to cross a flippin' bridge?

"The Associated Press left a message for a port authority representative. Its board members have said the fare increases will pay for construction that is fueling the region's economy. It also says it needs more money to replace the cables on the George Washington Bridge, rehabilitate the corkscrew-shaped ramp into the Lincoln Tunnel and take on other maintenance projects. The authority receives no tax money and supports itself through tolls, fares, fees and rent paid by businesses at its ports, airports and other properties."

Yeah, but $12? And how does this relate to Obama's Job Infrastructure thing? If they're raising the toll money what are the rest of us taxpayers, who don't cross the bridge, paying for with our tax dollars in the Obama Jobs Act?
Good last question. i don't live very close to NYC and now I am very glad I don't. I won't be going there for any reason with crap like that going on. I think that tolls are fair but these just aren't that way at all.

Is there a chance that Mayor Bloomberg has been talking with Obama about all this?

Old 09-16-2011, 10:29 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,450 times
Funny thing is that it cost you $8 to drive into Manhattan on the GWB but it cost nothing to drive back to Jersey. I guess nobody would pay to drive to Jersey. In fact, Jersey should pay you to drive there!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:29 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Tolls on NYC bridges and tunnels are like the tolls on the NYS thruway. A temporary measure to pay for construction. That was finished 50 years ago.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Good last question. i don't live very close to NYC and now I am very glad I don't. I won't be going there for any reason with crap like that going on. I think that tolls are fair but these just aren't that way at all.

Is there a chance that Mayor Bloomberg has been talking with Obama about all this?
Don't forget Chris Christie.

The money is going towards WTC construction.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:42 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,450 times
If you do not live in NYC or NJ, you don't have to pay it. Just use the free pass lanes. I went through them 4 times on the GWB and they only photoed me once and sent me a letter demanding $8 or $58 if I didn't pay within 15 days. So it cost me $2 for each crossing and really you don't have to pay that if you don't live there. They cannot do anything to you to get it. Also it is far cheaper to jump gates in the subways than to pay the fares. The math and odds of being caught are on your side. Remember you are in NYC to visit and have a nice time and not give the greedy government all your money.
Subway turnstile jumpers saving loads of money, even when they are caught, study shows - New York Daily News

Old 09-16-2011, 10:57 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Just wait until they put those black boxes in our vehicles so they can tax us for every mile driven since cars are getting better mileage and creating lower fed. fuel tax revenues.

Isn't central planning great? I so don't understand why everyone isn't clammoring to be a Marxist!

Will Joe Biden be telling people how patriotic it is to pay high toll bridge fees?

It won't cost your first born son to use the bridge, he'll already be too far in debt. Tt will cost you your third great- grandson to cross the bridge.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Just wait until they put those black boxes in our vehicles so they can tax us for every mile driven since cars are getting better mileage and creating lower fed. fuel tax revenues.

Isn't central planning great? I so don't understand why everyone isn't clammoring to be a Marxist!

Will Joe Biden be telling people how patriotic it is to pay high toll bridge fees?

It won't cost your first born son to use the bridge, he'll already be too far in debt. Tt will cost you your third great- grandson to cross the bridge.
Cars already have black boxes.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:26 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
It is quite ridiculous, however I know I've sat in hours of traffic to get over that stupid bridge and found myself thinking "Geez, if they made this toll $50 I bet 80% of this traffic would be gone and I could get where I was going."

Old 09-17-2011, 01:29 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Don't forget Chris Christie.

The money is going towards WTC construction.
A currently popular but misleading statement. The WTC is not one project, but a group of projects. One WTC, the biggest tower, is partly financed by Liberty Bonds, issued specifically for its construction, plus a portion of Silverstein's insurance money that he had to turn over to the PA when he gave up the right to build One WTC in 2005. The PATH station is being financed through an FTA grant. The other three towers are being financed through Silverstein's insurance money and the financing he has to obtain to make up the difference where the insurance falls short. Other PA-run WTC projects like the streets and the vehicular security center ARE coming out of their capital budget, which is where the toll money goes, along with the airport revenue.

I suspect, however, that the real reason, or at least part of it, for the toll increase is that both states are increasingly looking at the PA as a source of funding for their own wish lists of projects for which they don't have money. The two govs are the ultimate heads of the PA, and they appoint the members of the Board that runs it. There are bridges in both states that are badly in need of replacement, and there's no money to build them in the state budgets. We shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies