Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the tax rate increase on people earning $1 million+ per year?
Yes 98 61.25%
No 62 38.75%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 08:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I suspect neither Canada or Austrailia have more than 47% of their population paying no federal income taxes.

Cut the wars, including Obama's illegal one in Libya.

Our federal government needs to be cut in size and scope by 40% from where it is today. Obama has grown the size and scope of the federal government by nearly 25% alone since he took office and it was already too big then. His "jobs bill" grows it even more, creating more bureaucarcies and again increasing the size of the federal payroll.

Since this is obviously all about "tax the righ" fever tell me how you figure 1.5 million "rich" paying taxes for 140 million people who pay no taxes, is not already paying their fair share?

Have you actually read the text of Obama's "jobs bill"? It sounds as though you are just repeating the party line. The so-called "tax cuts" for small business is the same payroll tax deduction that didn't work before and stole money from an already financially beleagured Social Security Program. Why would you support repeating past failed attempts?
I wonder how many of these progs have every come to realize that Obamacare will take $50 billion from Medicare each year for 10 years. They did say it would take a total of $500 billion but never talk about it. I am sure that the Ryan budget (the first one suggested in over two years) didn't want to just take $50 billion in one year as if that would pay any of the debt.

They are playing their game pretty adeptly and Obama wants to use taxing the rich as a means of "buying" votes in 2012. I just read that in the NY Times article that bob put up for us to read. They think that none of us read all the crap they put up but I try to fool them every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Absolutely not! People making 1 million a year or more are small change. My god! How can politicians and Americans be so stupid and so blind to what is going on in their country? Really? You people honestly think a million bucks is that much money that the root of all our problems all the fairy tale solutions are going to disappear into the night once those who make $1 million are taxed even more! Yeah way to put even more small businesses on the fence. As far as I'm concerned the people making that much money should be considered middle class. I don't make anywhere NEAR THAT! But that' doesn't mean I want them taxed any more than anyone else. It's the BILLIONAIRES.......the FILTHY 1% of the rich who need to be taxed to the hilt. These are the people taht control everything. EVERYTHING! They not only control our government, our monetary system through their banks, the land, the resources, the food supply, the media etc........THEY DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW WHO THEY ARE OR HOW MUCH WEALTH THEY TRULY HAVE! The millionaires? Haha............they are a menial distraction while the real bandits make out like kings. Americans are idiots. It's the George Soros of the world you need to worry about not the millionaire next door. Ted Turner, George Soros, Warren Buffet, and all the other mega rich should have half their wealth taken from them and divided among the American people because it is people like them who have manipulated everything in order to acquire that wealth. Nancy Pelosi? Take her wealth, HALF OF IT! She didn't earn it just like half these fools didn't earn it. They bought politicians, used other people's money to make even more funny money, fouled our air and water, sold out the American worker, just so they could have a little more pie for themselves. Richard Branson......if he was an American I'd tell you to take half of his wealth too. He's a *******. And then there are the people you never hear about...........Cargill........the people need to take half of all that companies assets and wealth. Talk about abuse, corruption, and downright evil. They have destroyed the US food supply. Seaboard Company......take half of their wealth in the form of taxes too! The laundry list of filthy scumbag rich who have been sucking off the middle class and manipulating currencies, governments etc. to enrich themselves is disgusting........and Americans the poor and the middle class need to wake up. We know the poor won't........they are either too stupid, too lazy, or too hooked on welfare and the vote to care. So that leaves the middle class as the last bastion of hope to harness and wrestle back their country from the mega rich plutocracy. Class warfare? YOU BET YOUR ASS!
You can't be very rich in the head if you think that taking half of what those corporations, you mentioned, from them in taxes will make everything a bed of roses. The more they have to pay the more they charge their customers and that leaves even the poor in a sad situation. Yep, taking from them so they charge more would serve to put more people on food stamps and that causes more money to be needed for welfare and your plan backfires in your face.

Now we could do what you suggest if we use the Maxine Waters plan of nationalizing so the government owns everything and go on from there. That would really be nice but the bureaucracy Obama has increased in size would have to increase even more to take care of that redistribution of wealth. Don't you have eyes to see with and a mind to rationalize with?

Old 09-17-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The Link is Now Up:

News Headlines
There is a heavy pile of crap in that article but it does put out a lot of what you people think is needed in order to redistribute the wealth as Obama promised. Maybe you should have read the link that bob put up from the NYT. Better yet maybe some of you need to tell them that the part that I posted here says that Obama is just trying to use all this crap to buy votes for 2012 by making the GOP look like they want to rob those who pay no taxes now.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:56 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,837,811 times
January 20, 2009

President Obama sworn into office

President tells the American people in his Inaugural Address: “Those of us who manage the public's dollars will be held to account, to spend wisely, reform bad habits, and do our business in the light of day, because only then can we restore the vital trust between a people and their government.”

Debt Held By Public = $6.31 trillion

July 15, 2011

President Holds Press Conference: “We’re Running Out of Time” to Deal with Debt

President Obama tells reporters: “I've got reams of paper and printouts and spreadsheets on my desk, and so we know how we can create a package that solves the deficits and debt for a significant period of time. But in order to do that, we got to get started now.”

The American people have still not seen any “paper” or “printouts” of what specific spending cuts the President supports. The American people have still not seen any “spreadsheets” from the White House to corroborate their claims of having offered a deficit reduction plan.

While it’s long past time for Washington “to get started now” on tackling our debt problems, President Obama has still not proposed a credible budget, and Senate Democrats have still not proposed any budget.

Debt Held by Public = $9.75 trillion

This Clown Marxist has no intention of slowing down on his re-distribution of wealth plan! (Unless you're one of his supporters)

Old 09-17-2011, 10:00 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

2. You can't cut us into prosperity. Countries such as Canada and Australia are doing 1000x better than the United States and both have much higher taxes on the wealthy.
And France's wealthy (multi-millionaires/billionaires) have stated they believe France should raise their taxes and would fully support it.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
A higher rate above 250k is sensible. When rate was 91% 50 years ago, that started at 5 mill, which is likely close to 50 mill today. Histroically, top rate capped at todays' 250k makes little sense.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And France's wealthy (multi-millionaires/billionaires) have stated they believe France should raise their taxes and would fully support it.
Then they are the same as the loud mouthed leftists that live here .. aren't they?

They need some kind of Government Strong-Arming to force them to pay more?

NO ONE .. Not one person has ever stopped the Obama's, The Buffett's, The Biden's ... From EVER writing a check that exceeds the minimum tax .. Now have they!

And I'll bet you .. If you could find any REAL information on the Obama's and the taxes that they pay on their Full and REAL income .. It sure as #eLL wouldn't be anything over the amount that they could get away with!

Old 09-17-2011, 10:34 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Ok, this is silly on so many levels. First to call it a Buffet tax is a joke. I suspect Bufft doesn't earn a million a year. Remember how he lamented how his secretary pays more in taxes than he does? Ya know why? Because his income is derived from capital gains. This tax increase doesn't touch capital gains, so Buffet will not pay a nickel more.

Next, why should millionaires be the only folks to carry the burden. As I recall, the left wanted a hefty war tax on all Americans so we all would be asked to sacrifice. Why is this situation any different?

Finally, the amount of revenue this would generate is paltry.it is clearly a political gimmick without any merit. In short, it is a cheap political stunt.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Ok, this is silly on so many levels. First to call it a Buffet tax is a joke. I suspect Bufft doesn't earn a million a year. Remember how he lamented how his secretary pays more in taxes than he does? Ya know why? Because his income is derived from capital gains. This tax increase doesn't touch capital gains, so Buffet will not pay a nickel more.

Next, why should millionaires be the only folks to carry the burden. As I recall, the left wanted a hefty war tax on all Americans so we all would be asked to sacrifice. Why is this situation any different?

Finally, the amount of revenue this would generate is paltry.it is clearly a political gimmick without any merit. In short, it is a cheap political stunt.
Of course it's a stunt and it's also more of Obama's class warfare!

Can't remember the amount or where I read it but it is said that if you were to TAKE every cent from Every Millionaire and Billionaire, the amount wouldn't come to over One Trillion Dollars!

Contrast that to a debt that is closing in on Sixteen Trillion Dollars and .. Well, You (Non Libs) get the message!

Old 09-17-2011, 11:24 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,504,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So what? 2006, 2007 and 2008 were the 3 biggest years in history for federal income tax revenue. The feds took in more in taxes than any president in history.

if you want the gov't to have more money, write them a check.
Citation, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Then they are the same as the loud mouthed leftists that live here .. aren't they?

They need some kind of Government Strong-Arming to force them to pay more?

NO ONE .. Not one person has ever stopped the Obama's, The Buffett's, The Biden's ... From EVER writing a check that exceeds the minimum tax .. Now have they!

And I'll bet you .. If you could find any REAL information on the Obama's and the taxes that they pay on their Full and REAL income .. It sure as #eLL wouldn't be anything over the amount that they could get away with!
This is why it's a tax. Buffet alone throwing pennies into a fountain isn't going to make a difference. The "shared sacrifice" of every tax payer in the top 2% paying more? That's 700 billion dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post

Cheap political stunt?
World of Class Warfare - The Poor's Free Ride Is Over - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 08/18/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

We can tax the top 2% a little bit more on their income, and make 700 billion dollars, or we can take half of everything the bottom 50% of the population owns.

I say we take everything the bottom 50% has. **** the poor.

Speaking of, whomever keeps saying that the bottom 50% pays no taxes needs to stop spreading that lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies