Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the tax rate increase on people earning $1 million+ per year?
Yes 98 61.25%
No 62 38.75%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:15 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times

Advertisements

Frankly I'm not sure raising taxes is the right answer. Instead of raising rates, why don't we focus on closing all loopholes and deductions, etc? Make it one rate that you will pay, say 25%, you will pay 25% period. There would be no loopholes, no deductions, nothing. Whatever bracket you're in you pay that much not a penny more or less. I'm also skeptical of a progressive tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 11:24 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Why don't we just have a billionare tax and confiscate all personal wealth over $1 billion and use it for public projects. That would get us close to one trillion dollars at the expense of about fewer than 50 people. It would get the economy rolling fast and furious. You can still call it the Buffett tax if you'd like.

If you're going to be accussed of being a communist, you might as well govern like one.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:34 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So wrong - it's percentages. The same rate for all.
Why do you not want the rich to pay the same rate?
They're making their money off of your back.

This second post is not what you said in your first post.
What is it?
Maybe because I am addressing the bs that savoir was spewing, not the reality of the situation. You need to read the responses in context. In dollars, regardless of percentage, the rich pay far more than the poor or middle class. I could care less if they make money off my back, I make money off of them as well. It is not a finite supply.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:43 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
So you are saying that you can't explain it, huh?
I think you hit the nail on the head. They can't explain the hypocrisy.

What is outrageous is the way the media let's obama get away with his buffet meme, without ever raising these questions of the man's own reticence to pay taxes.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:58 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Said it before and I'll say it again. before we increase taxes on anyone we need to cut the waste out of our spending. To raise taxes before we get spending under control is enabling the waste.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
tinman01, Spending control is like quality assurance, a job never complete, that must be a continuous, unending process. You don't control waste during one year and stop; you create a process where its part of all decision-making. It starts with "We, the people" rejecting pols who promote OUR hometown PORK projects.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
First, congratulations, I had no idea your were a millionaire and would be subject to millionaire taxes.

Second, it's absurd how you twist his behavior into "excuse the inexcusable,"when his whole argument is that the rich do not pay their fair share. The top 400 taxpayers pay a rate of 16.6%. Buffett pays that rate too and that's because capital gains is taxed at 15%.

He says there is no rational reason to tax the rich so low and we hear outrage? Outrage, not from the billionaires, but from middle-class right wingers who will never be in this income bracket. That's absurd.

What is shows is that 30 years of right-wing propaganda paid by the wealthiest has worked. It has convinced average people that the rich deserve royal status -- even when one of their own shows what nonsense it is.
Now think about that..what I bolded. Why no "outrage" from those billionaires ? Could be that they have sheltered and moved money out of "income" and into something else ? Buffet did; he EARNS $100K salary a year. Even he says his secretary pays more taxes then he does. Why is that ?

Old 09-18-2011, 01:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
tinman01, Spending control is like quality assurance, a job never complete, that must be a continuous, unending process. You don't control waste during one year and stop; you create a process where its part of all decision-making. It starts with "We, the people" rejecting pols who promote OUR hometown PORK projects.
Agreed. The party hardliners need to smarten up. The my party wrong or right types.
We need solid legeslation enacted to prevent waste. Stop the add ons and back room deals.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:10 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
First, congratulations, I had no idea your were a millionaire and would be subject to millionaire taxes.

Second, it's absurd how you twist his behavior into "excuse the inexcusable,"when his whole argument is that the rich do not pay their fair share. The top 400 taxpayers pay a rate of 16.6%. Buffett pays that rate too and that's because capital gains is taxed at 15%.

He says there is no rational reason to tax the rich so low and we hear outrage? Outrage, not from the billionaires, but from middle-class right wingers who will never be in this income bracket. That's absurd.

What is shows is that 30 years of right-wing propaganda paid by the wealthiest has worked. It has convinced average people that the rich deserve royal status -- even when one of their own shows what nonsense it is.
What is anyone's fair share? Why are the wealthy any more obliged to pay more than any other group?

OK, so I am still waiting for some evidence that Obama intends to raise the capital gains tax. This millionaires tax will not address the very issue you re so concerned about. Just wait to see what would happen to the economy if capital gas taxes were raised. TIMBER!!!

Old 09-18-2011, 01:12 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
I could support this a person making 1 million or more is certainly well off...but a person making 250k is certainly not rich

btw, fyi.....back in the 50's the top bracket (what was considered to be rich) was 400k....that would be 3 million in today's dollars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies