Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 04:30 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,486,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why not ...its just a flag
A flag is never "just a flag". I don't like the confederate flag. Every time I see it I wince just a little--especially when I see one up north (I mean, really?!) Still, I don't think everyone who flies it is a racist traitor either. Having lived in the South I know a lot do it to honor their relatives,, so I say "whatever". I think there are better ways for southerners to honor their ancestors, but it is what it is.

It's a free country, she can fly whatever she wants up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,921,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Yes we are black. But we also are intelligent enough to know that the confederate flag did not stand for slavery, or racism. The civil war was not about racism or slavery. it was about money and states rights.
Black people flying the confederate flag. It is like the Dave Chapelle skit with the blind black man that was a KKK leader because he thought he was white. Insane is the most polite term I can use to describe your actions.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:36 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,209,709 times
[quote=stan in san diego;21135975]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Yes we are black. But we also are intelligent enough to know that the confederate flag did not stand for slavery, or racism. The civil war was not about racism or slavery. it was about money and states rights.[/QUOT

You've got to be kidding, right?

if the civil war was about slavery, then ole abe could have bought all the slaves out of bondage and set them free. sure it would have been expensive, but alot less than what a war costs. the civil war was about states rights and the right to secede, which is not illegal according to the Constitution, and still isnt illegal.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:47 PM

927 posts, read 1,460,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Black people flying the confederate flag. It is like the Dave Chapelle skit with the blind black man that was a KKK leader because he thought he was white. Insane is the most polite term I can use to describe your actions.
so - fact is you are lacking in the understanding of non propagandist facts.

Here is where people get confused:

The south knew that slavery was nearing an end before the Civil War started

The Federalist North was angry because the south was selling cotton at a higher profit to Europe and the north had an entitlement attitude where they thought they should get it ... and cheaper that Europe.

The Federalists started to attack the plantations where it hurt - in the pocket.
They decided to tax the southern cotton farms with an expanded property tax which encompassed the technically labeled property called SLAVE.
It was NOT about the slave it was about the tax of what they had.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:53 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,115,694 times
I wonder how people would feel if a person of German heritage started flying the Nazi flag or a person of Japanese heritage started flying the Japanese flag? It is the same thing. They lost. We won. Our flag is the one that should be flown.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:23 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,653,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
If the confederates waged a war of treason and aggression, please tell me why these wars were fought on soil belonging to the south?
Pennslyvania is in the South? Firing on and sieging a U.S. military installation in South Carolina is not an act of aggression? As you and I both know, most of the war took place in the South because the North won. If the South were victorious, which I think God they weren't as a loyal American, most of the war would have been fought on northern territory. That's how warfare works.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:01 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,688,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why not ...its just a flag
I agree. I just see it as a Southern flag. I think it's a nice way for Southerners to identify with their region. There's nothing wrong with it.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:06 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,345,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I wonder how people would feel if a person of German heritage started flying the Nazi flag or a person of Japanese heritage started flying the Japanese flag? It is the same thing. They lost. We won. Our flag is the one that should be flown.
Don't visit the UN or any of the many Japanese consulates in major U.S. cities. They're crawling with Japanese flags...

Old 10-06-2011, 01:29 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,099,011 times
I have one here on the garage wall near Chicago, I like the Idea of repealing the 16th and 17th amendments too...

Old 10-06-2011, 01:48 AM

268 posts, read 241,374 times
I support an individual's right to use the Confederate Flag, but I don't support the Government using it. It represents a rebel force that tried to tear this country in half and it wouldn't be appropriate for the Government to honor it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies