Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:00 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And the death penalty doesn't deter crime, since we have the highest incarceration and re-incarceration rate in the world. Europe, has the lowest and a near blanket ban on the death penalty. Even Russia has essentially banned it and Russia is notorious for crime and corruption.
Then explain why well over half the countries in the world still have the death penalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 12:03 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,555,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Then explain why well over half the countries in the world still have the death penalty.
I'm not sure what your point is... Have you noticed that half the countries in the world aren't even democratic ones, never ever heard of human rights, alphabetization is extremely low, etc.?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:32 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Executions can be profitable. An audio/video CD could be made of every execution and sold for people to get their kicks.
I'd go one step further: I say make Pay Per View specials out of the executions. Death Parties all over the country. The proceeds can go to the victims families, mental health services, and to pay back the criminal justice system, keeping alive a waste of oxygen, who should have been killed years ago.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:37 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
I'm not sure what your point is... Have you noticed that half the countries in the world aren't even democratic ones, never ever heard of human rights, alphabetization is extremely low, etc.?
Anti-death penalty advocates tend to paint the United States as one of a few countries who have the death penalty as law. In reality, there are about 130 other countries (out of 190 or so) who have a death penalty law. The point remains,....America is not alone, and just because some don't like the death penalty doesn't translate into our being "wrong".

Societies have judged citizenry for thousand of years. Why is so wrong to rid humanity of the inhumane?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:39 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
No, I don't think it's perfect and again you're assuming something about me that isn't true. The legal system isn't perfect and unfortunately it never will be.

But you have your views and I have mine. I don't understand why you have to get so fired up over it. There are millions of other people who agree with you.
Yes, your view is that the government should execute innocent people and carry forward a policy that costs more and has no deterrent on crime. My opinion is the smart one and yours is the opposite.

Perhaps you should look into changing your emotion based opinions when people like me so easily shoot holes in everything you say.

Quote:
They're third world ****holes full of people who largely haven't had the chance to get any schooling ever. Outside of Korea, India and Japan, there isn't even a death penalty country that I'd like to visit. Perhaps you can man up and write about how great it is that the US justice system is so similar to Iran, Iraq, Congo, Libya, Sudan, Somalia, etc.

Of course, why think of that detail when you can just make an ignorant blanket statement like the one I quoted.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:43 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,106 times
Coming from a guy who when he walks by a frankfurter wagon in NYC, causes the vendor to bow in homage

Old 09-27-2011, 12:43 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Once again, this clown opens his mouth, and words drip out in the form of excrement.

Moore being interviewed on CNN (of course) by Piers Morgan claims that the US is in the same company as China and Iran when it comes to executions.

US: Since 1976 there have been 1267 executions. Of all death sentences, less than 2% is actually carried out. A death sentence is rarely anything less than 20 years of meals, appeals and lawyers on the publics' dime.

China: The Dui Hua Foundation estimate that China executed between 5,000 and 6,000 people in 2007, down from 10,000 in 2005.

US 1267 vs. China's over 200,000 executions in the same period. BTW, China runs their prisoners through a three-ring execution gauntlet so there's no humane sleeping death. Russia and China both believe bullets are worth more than the prisoners' life.

Crown Moore the king of ignorance and drop him off at the buffet.
Russia effectively ended the death penalty after the fall of communism.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:46 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Most of those countries are in Africa, and/or are Islamic states, and several of the rest are Communist. I don't think we should be taking cues from them.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,433,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
The courts won't let you fast track it. Making things faster doesn't improve accuracy. It's sort of sad that you'd say that the government should be killing people when you don't have a clue of what you're talking about.

It doesn't reduce crime and it costs more. You'd have to be rather stupid to say that killing people is a good option.
Who cares if it costs more and isn't a deterrent? I won't argue the point.

Society has a right to rid itself of cold blooded murderers... and I don't mean putting them in prison to hang out with their homeboys.

Even Obama agrees the DP should be applied in certain cases..

Stop coddling criminals and think of their victims for a change..

Old 09-27-2011, 12:49 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
i'm an adult and thus i make my decisions based on emotion.
I feel sorry for you if you make decisions based on emotion.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies