Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:33 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,758 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

In 2010, there were 23 countries worldwide that executed people.

The United States had a rate of 1.5 per 10 million people. The only countries that had a rate higher than 2.0 per 10 million people were Equatorial Guinea, China, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Yemen, [the Palestinian Authority], Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Bahrain, Syria, Botswana, and Belarus. Sudan was probably higher as well (since not all numbers were reported.)

The rate in Taiwan (1.7 per 10 million) was comparable. Other countries that had rates of less than 1 per 10 million were Egypt and Japan. Bangladesh, Malaysia, and Iraq had reported rates below 1 per 10 million, but might have been higher.

Singapore and Vietnam also executed people, although their numbers are unknown.

The thing is - if we're going to have the death penalty in the United States, we've got to have strong convictions that it's the right thing to do. It's NOT the norm in the world.

Capital punishment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 07:44 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
....and your views on abortion are?
A fetus (especially an early-term one) is not a person. It's alive and it's genetically human, but it is not as physically nor mentally developed as a human, it also relies entirely on another human being's body for its survival, and it is for the most part not (yet) conscious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Is an embryo or a fetus legally a person? Didn't think so. Stupid analogy.

And it works in reverse. You guys are so pro-life, but so pro-death penalty. Hypocritical.
Not quite. From his (or her) point of view, a fetus is a human being in the same sense that we are. So in light of that an abortion would be killing another human being for no other reason than it is unwanted.

As opposed to capital punishment which would be killing someone who is convicted of a serious offense such as aggravated murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And the death penalty doesn't deter crime, since we have the highest incarceration and re-incarceration rate in the world. Europe, has the lowest and a near blanket ban on the death penalty. Even Russia has essentially banned it and Russia is notorious for crime and corruption.
Technically Singapore and Saudi Arabia have some of the lowest murder rates. Usually a fair bit below 1 per 100,000 as opposed to European nations which usually range between 2-4 per 100,000. Neither country is known for being particularly cautious with capital punishment (nor for the fairness of their legal systems).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I'd be willing to forego the DP if we had true LWOP. Three bland meals and 24 hours a day in a stark, plain cell for the entire sentence and I would accept no DP. Perhaps I would accept allowing them to do hard labor.

Bottom line, some people are completely unredeemable, evil sociopaths and need to be removed from the gene pool.
Even thought I am not exactly a fan of the death penalty. I do mostly ae with your these two paragraphs.

Most people would be more comfortable without capital punishment if they knew that murderers weren't very likely to get out of prison anytime soon, but unfortunately a lot of murderers serve nowhere near a life sentence.

There are a some people so awful its hard to justify keeping them alive. I'm talking about the absolute worst of the worst. The Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs come to mind. If you are not familiar with the case, they were two serial killers in Ukraine who killed about 20 people in some of the most gruesome and horrible ways imaginable. There is even a video of one of their murders that they made where they take a man, beat him with a hammer, gouge out his eyes with a screwdriver, and stab him in the stomach. Not only is it a very gruesome video, they laugh during the entire time and mock the dying man's groans. Now, this is a case where even with my reservations on capital punishment, I cannot think of a better case for it. The evidence included DNA, several murder weapons, testimony from people who said they bragged about the murders, and several videos of them actually killing people. You have a mountain of evidence, multiple victims, methods of murder that were intended to cause suffering, and a lack of remorse. It's hard to not want them to fry.

Another example would be someone who kills someone inside of prison. Be it a staff member or another inmate, especially when they are already serving life in prison. How do you punish someone who is already doing life for murder? You could say send them to a supermax prison, but those are extremely expensive (some like ADX Florence or Pelican Bay are estimated to cost about $150,000 per year per inmate) and keeping them locked up without any contact for decades on end doesn't exactly seem all that humane either. I find it somewhat I ironic that someone who would find the death penalty barbaric would find something like a life sentence in Pelican Bay to be more humane.

I suppose Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs summed it up best:

"Any civilized society would either kill me or give me back my books."

Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Once again, this clown opens his mouth, and words drip out in the form of excrement.

Moore being interviewed on CNN (of course) by Piers Morgan claims that the US is in the same company as China and Iran when it comes to executions.

US: Since 1976 there have been 1267 executions. Of all death sentences, less than 2% is actually carried out. A death sentence is rarely anything less than 20 years of meals, appeals and lawyers on the publics' dime.

China: The Dui Hua Foundation estimate that China executed between 5,000 and 6,000 people in 2007, down from 10,000 in 2005.

US 1267 vs. China's over 200,000 executions in the same period. BTW, China runs their prisoners through a three-ring execution gauntlet so there's no humane sleeping death. Russia and China both believe bullets are worth more than the prisoners' life.

Crown Moore the king of ignorance and drop him off at the buffet.
Moore is a very talented filmaker with regards to the production. And his variation of Gonzo journalism is sometimes amusing.

But his "interpretations" of events are so off base its pathetic.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 AM

857 posts, read 2,002,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I have an idea... don't want to be executed? Don't murder anyone!
I have an idea... don't want your hands chopped off? Dont' steal!

I have an idea... don't want your tongue ripped out? Dont' speak ill of the [lord | king | magistrate ...]!

I have an idea... don't want your eyeballs gouged out? Dont' ogle your neighbor's wife!

typical neocon....

Old 09-28-2011, 10:59 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I'd be willing to forego the DP if we had true LWOP. Three bland meals and 24 hours a day in a stark, plain cell for the entire sentence and I would accept no DP. Perhaps I would accept allowing them to do hard labor.

Unfortunately, thug huggers would cry that LWOP is too cruel and then Life with parole is cruel, then 30 years is too cruel, then 5 year is too cruel, until we end up giving killers a stern talking to and send them on their way.

Bottom line, some people are completely unredeemable, evil sociopaths and need to be removed from the gene pool.
Slippery slope fallacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post

Sure, I'm exaggerating a bit but not by much. There are lots of puff brained folks out there that feel no criminal is responsible for their actions and/or all of them can be rehabilitated and that any form of punishment is cruel.

Well, the exception would be any white male found guilty and jailed for a hate crime or being late on child support or alimony payments. Most libs would fully support summary execution for these types.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,148 times
The Truthiness About Michael Moore

Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,794 times
and I equate being forced to watch his movies to cruel and unusual punishment

Old 09-28-2011, 03:21 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
The murderers want to live...which is why virtually all of them keep trying for stays right up until the last second. Someone like Gary Gilmore is an exception..
very true, despite all the protests to the contrary.

if execution is preferable, why do so few prefer it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies