Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:42 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Thanks for missing the point.

You do not see a problem with 0bama's out of control crony capitalism, or the fact that Pelosi's wealth happened to increase by 62%, at the same time 0bama has spent us $4.5 trillion dollars into debt? Someone is collecting all that money, and it's not you and me. Problem is, if the crony capitalists are democrats, the lib'tards are fine with it.

The larger point is time after time we see cronyism which allows politicians who are elected to the congress or the senate, come into Washington, living under modest means, and when they leave office, they and their family members and friends, are millionaires.
OK you're saying that the increase in US national debt of $4.5 trillion went into Pelosi's pocket. Whatever.

Seriously with the Slyndra mess I don't see it so much as crony capitalism as it is a tendency for politicians who are not technically well versed to see solar and wind as our salvation. We have an example of that with our new governor of Vermont. If it were up to me we would abolish tax credits for wind and solar. Too many people have swallowed that snake oil. Investors and politicians jump on it, and some people actually think it is "clean" energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I think you can put Pelosi and his brother in law aside and ask yourself what the hell are they still dumping our money into these solar panel dumps? Evergreen solar laid of 800 workers in May due to low demand. European countries aren't putting up the governemnt subsidies anymore and the things are too damn expensive. Solyndra just goes in the tank for 500 million and now 700 to yet another one? It makes no sense.
Yes agreed - for once!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 11:55 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,351 times
Quote:
I think you can put Pelosi and his brother in law aside and ask yourself what the hell are they still dumping our money into these solar panel dumps? Evergreen solar laid of 800 workers in May due to low demand. European countries aren't putting up the governemnt subsidies anymore and the things are too damn expensive. Solyndra just goes in the tank for 500 million and now 700 to yet another one? It makes no sense.
The shortcomings of solar and green energy are finally being realized by the public, so my guess is they're in a mad dash to distribute green energy funds while the masses are still largely OK with it.

It's absolutely inexcusable that this type of outright theft is happening before our very eyes; it's corruption as bad as (or worse than) anything during the Bush administration, and Democrats are grasping at straws, desperately finding ways to spin this into a non-issue.

This is the type of corporate/government collusion that Liberals love to scream about, but they've gone silent because it's their side with their hands in the till.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:58 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,656 times
Quote:
Our government has become a network of cronies. These schemes are created, one after the other, specifically to butter their own bread at our expense. They continually give us new enemies and pit us against each other to keep our attentions away from them. Every time we start looking at them they create a new crisis. You might call it conspiracy but I call it tactics.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Did I read the other day that Google was investing millions in solar?

The object of your side winning a political contest is patronage. Always has been. We get worked up about the righteousness of our side due to folks dumping plenty of PR money. They are just spending money to make money.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:01 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
The entire green movement is a complete scam in my eyes from green energy to green jobs to carbon credits. It's all BS. Hey I like solar panels think they're a good idea but I'm not rich. If I were I would probably install em however there aren't many in the position to do so because of the cost hence it's a very limited market and not cost effective. They can't stand on their own much like ethanol production. The US is too damn large to think puttin up some windmills and solar panels will take the place of oil and coal. It's insanity.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:04 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Where was the outrage from the right when Bush and Cheney were sending billions to Haliburton (Cheney's OLD job) in Iraq?

Where there no other companies that could have done the same (and not LOST - wink, wink - so much money)?

Dick Cheney did not get one penny of the money that went to Haliburton. Anyway, Haliburton has had this contract since the Korean War.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,327,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Good..another rich liberal who will be voluntarily paying more taxes. Wonder how much she will send??

Now we can watch to make sure she's paying her fair share.

I say a movement to gouge rich politicians would be apropos right about now.

They could be at the top of the Class in the 90% taxation rate.

We could call it the Tyrant Tax.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:27 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Which is why the last twenty years and four presidential administrations have contracted with them.
But has Haliburton gotten away with theft under all of those administrations?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:30 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
But has Haliburton gotten away with theft under all of those administrations?
You can question whether this should been a no bid contract or not but theft, it cannot be so. Yes, there should have been an RFP let vice sole source. Given past performance on this same contract type, the likelihood is that Halliburton would have won anyway but the proper way to do this would have been a competitive process. You simply go too far in suggesting theft. That is patently untrue.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:31 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
It's too bad Obama doesn't have one of his cronies working at Molycorp. It happens to be one of the only mines that produces rare earth elements in the US. Currently China has a monopoly on REE's and is hoarding away. The "green movement" needs this stuff to build their windmills and cars etc. They needed 500 million to start the mine back up last year. Of course Obama doing anything that actually helps America instead of his buddies is not in the cards it appears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies