Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 02:25 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How many are kids with summer or after school jobs, and how many are seniors living on Social Security, and how much tax would you like them to pay?
Flat tax. Everyone pays the same tax rate. Earn very little; pay very little. Earn A LOT; pay A LOT.

Though, a completely fair tax would be a head tax in which everyone pays the same amount and the costs are equally shared. Would you prefer a head tax so that everyone would be sure to pay their fair share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 02:26 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The problem is that they DON'T contribute to the costs incurred by the federal government of the country IN WHICH THEY LIVE via the federal income tax. They're freeloading off the 49% who DO pay federal income tax. 30% are even getting more money FROM the federal government than they pay TO the federal government.
And in most cases all of that money goes into the economy and helps the "51%" earn higher incomes, the well off get that money one way, or another. There is a bigger picture.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
And in most cases all of that money goes into the economy and helps the "51%" earn higher incomes, the well off get that money one way, or another.
But the federal government isn't funded adequately, hence Obama's record sky high budget deficits and Obama's skyrocketing national debt. THAT'S the problem.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
And in most cases all of that money goes into the economy and helps the "51%" earn higher incomes, the well off get that money one way, or another. There is a bigger picture.
NO. Are we not fighting in several countries ?
Are we not bailing out banks around the globe ?
We have more money funneling out of the US these days for one reason or another.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
But the federal government isn't funded adequately, hence Obama's record sky high budget deficits and Obama's skyrocketing national debt. THAT'S the problem.
So those who can least afford it should fund it? That will leave a lot less money to be put into the economy, it's the "49%" who put all or almost all of their income into the economy, taxing them higher won't just hurt them, it will ultimately hurt American business owners, which are the upper middle class who make up most of the "51%." The ones who benefit the most from taxing the working poor are the very wealthy who stockpile money. This whole 51% is just a talking point to get people angry at those who protest income disparity, and keep the VERY wealthy happy.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
NO. Are we not fighting in several countries ?
Are we not bailing out banks around the globe ?
We have more money funneling out of the US these days for one reason or another.
Yes, and I certainly don't agree with that. My point was that the working poor don't have extra money to save or keep, it generally all goes into the economy in the form of them simply supporting their families, they support their families by buying goods and services from business owners.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Yes, and I certainly don't agree with that. My point was that the working poor don't have extra money to save or keep, it generally all goes into the economy in the form of them simply supporting their families, they support their families by buying goods and services from business owners.
But isn't that the way it's always been with the working poor ?

Old 10-15-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
So those who can least afford it should fund it?
Every income earner who lives in this country should fund it. That's the point. They live here. They receive federal protections, benefits, and services.
Quote:
That will leave a lot less money to be put into the economy
No it will not. What it WILL do is spread the costs of our federal government much more equitably with everyone having a stake in a fiscally responsibile government. The politicians WON'T be able to get away with nonstop spending on pork and corporate giveaways, the tax rate if ALL are paying will be low, and money will STILL circulate into the economy.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:56 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
I support the OWS movement, and my family is in the 53% that pays taxes out the nose, has worked our backsides off to save and invest, etc., and is considered fairly wealthy (at least by small town America's standards). How this relates to corporations giving unlimited contributions to elections and through lobbyists--the main message of occupy wallstreet--is beyond me. It has nothing to do with having money, and everything to do with a very few mega wealthy people at the top controlling the government. I'm all for people being rich--that's the American dream. I just don't want a few people at the top calling all the shots, and creating policies that help them at the same time that they hurt me.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:58 PM

242 posts, read 235,695 times
im the 53% and i hate the protestors, they are a bunch of thugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies