Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 10:14 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,439,396 times

Advertisements

Okay Smoker dude who feels no rights

- if the 80% don't want to smell smoke or breathe in those poisons, you can go f' yourself.

No one gives a flying f' you smoke. Really. You can go ahead no one cares. Its when you stink up our air with your poisons we get pissed. When you talk of your rights, it really means "my right to blow smoke in your face and make you breathe it in".

and btw, if someone said "my right being taken away" and the promise to "stand up in your defense" I would be like.

Uh, dude, don't plan on needing your help. you see I try to live by empathy of others and as such do not want rights that would allow me to hurt others in order for me to "feel better" thanks to some drug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
Since roughly 80% of the adult population does not smoke, smokers are a decided minority. I always tell non-smokers there will come a day when something you do the vast majority of people don't do or like including me and you'll need me to stand up in defense of you.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:19 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,439,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I do think some people go overboard with the cancer risk though... many, many people who live in northern climates with finished basements or forced air furnaces expose themselves to the equivalent of 2-12 cigarettes a day worth of radon exposure (every 4 pci/l is about 10 cigarettes) , since homes are not required to be tested for radon, most are not, and a typical house in a high expose area with a basement will in fact have radon in it.

Red herring there dude. I mean seriously . . .smokers are the one who die from Radon more than anyone else. . .and . . .WTF does Radon have to do with smoking (other than that link).

nothing

you get exposed to radiation by flying in a plane. Neither here nor there.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:20 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,938,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Well, okay, but I don't smoke.

Too often you can find yourself having to walk down the sidewalk in the trailing wake of one of these poseurs, who keep them safely for them by their sides. When not having to inhale as one always has to before opening a door on a closing piston next to them standing around in the entrance.
The other thing about being inside, ashtrays have smoldering cigarettes in them so chemicals still are getting into the air of not properly put out. If you had the "honor" of hearing "Smoking or non-smoking" at restaurants, you may remember having to smell disposed cigarettes as well as in use ones. Down a sidewalk, they can be flicked but it is not as concentrated as indoors.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:28 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,985,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The other thing about being inside, ashtrays have smoldering cigarettes in them so chemicals still are getting into the air of not properly put out. If you had the "honor" of hearing "Smoking or non-smoking" at restaurants, you may remember having to smell disposed cigarettes as well as in use ones. Down a sidewalk, they can be flicked but it is not as concentrated as indoors.
Indoors they mostly drift up into the ceiling. You're not walking into a trail that is still concentrated from lateral motion, often in still air or light breeze directly into your face--with your pulmonary system at work.

They only flick them (another topic) when they're finished holding them by their sides.

Last edited by mm4; 06-29-2015 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-29-2015, 01:44 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,309,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Red herring there dude. I mean seriously . . .smokers are the one who die from Radon more than anyone else. . .and . . .WTF does Radon have to do with smoking (other than that link).

nothing

you get exposed to radiation by flying in a plane. Neither here nor there.

radon and smoking increase cancer risk in roughly equal amounts. There are some people who go wacko over having to smell even the slightest hint of second hand smoke thinking they or their kids are going to keel over and die of lung cancer from 30 seconds of second hand smoke exposure... meanwhile they are ignorant of the lung cancer risk right in their own basements.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:56 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,909,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So you propose that instead of having any rules to protect the public, we should just have restaurants put up signs that say, "We don't refrigerate our food."
Why would a business do that in the first place? Is there a market for diners that serve rotten food that I am unaware of?

Of course there isn't, so that business would go under in short order, because no one wants to eat somewhere that serves rotten food.

Likewise, a business that allows smoking would also go under, and quite rightly, if people really didn't want to patronize it because it allows smoking.

Let the market decide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's not just patrons that are affected.
The people who work there are, as well.

And no, you can't just decide you're ok with risking your health.
Sure you can. Most places are at-will employment.

If you choose to work somewhere that allows smoking, you are accepting the risk, just like everyone else who works a dangerous job accepts the unique risks that come with it.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:58 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,909,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Of all the things people become addicted to, I find cigarettes to be the least harmful.

Non smokers seem to cultivate too many harmful sensitivities.

As tobacco usage dropped in this country, sensitive violences rose - probably a direct correlation there.

Another correlative, as tobacco use dropped, pharacomental drug usage increased.

I support mental and social health, so I support tobacco over Big Pharma products.

For many, cigarettes should be prescribed.

There are many products that can protect a person from the physical problems ascribed to tobacco usage.

Many of these physical problems originate and perpetuate from mental propagandas, anyway.

Propagandae are dangerously received by those of weak mental state.

It's a told, told world out there.

My advice for those of weak mind, stay out of the told.

It takes a certain amount of autonomy to be healthy.
Sure, and that was by design. There's a lot of money to be made by brainwashing the public to be hyper-sensitive over smoking.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:02 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,685,572 times
I understand your perspective but I disagree in totality. As someone who has NEVER taken one puff, I don't think smokers are treated wrongly. We need to protect the health of people, we should not have to be exposed to others' bad habits. Second hand smoke has been known for decades to have adverse health risks for those exposed to it. If one wants to smoke, okay. But no one has to be forced to smoke with you indirectly, which is what second hand smokers are being exposed to.

Now I will concede that some look down on smoking, it's no longer seen as glamorous and cool thing to do. But smokers can either get help and quit or smoke if they choose to. But no one else should have to be exposed to it. Smells terrible.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:09 PM

18,414 posts, read 19,051,059 times
I feel sorry for smokers they are addicted. they do not smoke because they want to, they smoke because they have to. they are addicted. quitting nicotine is extremely difficult. with that being said people who don't smoke should not be exposed to it in public places.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:10 PM

920 posts, read 933,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
Since roughly 80% of the adult population does not smoke, smokers are a decided minority. I always tell non-smokers there will come a day when something you do the vast majority of people don't do or like including me and you'll need me to stand up in defense of you.
It's no different than any other vice except it smells.

Smokers are no worse or no better than drinkers... or anyone else for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies