Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 07:19 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,760,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheasare View Post
How many large cities have Chinatowns? When I go to a Chinese restaurant I have never encountered a Chinese server or host talking to me in Chinese. We have large populations of Asians, Africans and Europeans who speak hundreds of languages and they all manage to learn English. (My cousin-in-law is German and when she and my cousin moved back to the US she learned to speak English by watching the news.) Precisely because this is a nation of immigrants we need to have a single language that everyone can use to handle day to day business and functions. Native Spanish speakers who do not learn English are limiting their opportunities.

C.
IN NYC, there are many people who only speak Chinese (who work with the public). In my neighborhood, there are many stores that hire girls who only speak Polish. There are many cabbies who speak Farsi... and so on an so on. So it's not just a hispanic thing.

Even with total immersion, it takes time to learn a language. And if you are older than 20, it takes longer to learn a language. Children learn faster. In the meantime, one needs to make a living. The problem one runs across, is that people need to make a living, they don't speak the language, they get a job that does not require language skills, and so they don't have the opportunity to learn the language. It's a sick cycle.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:23 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Mate View Post
Just a side note:
How bizarre America is....only here....do we have crazies on the left arguing FOR the illegal importation of millions of people.
I've seen some of the most heavily guarded borders in the world....Only a patently suicidal person would try to cross those frontiers...illegally...
Nope....that never happens...
But here....here we actually have 'special interest advocacy groups' helping millions break our laws....astonishing....
I’ve seen first hand how brutally the Mexican Army and the Federales…treat illegal immigrants from Guatemala unsuccessfully trying to get into Mexico…The pretty young girls….well…sure….THAT happens…..Other people get savagely beaten….robbed…..Hey…Mexico has some of the toughest immigration laws in the world…..The Mexicans KNOW how detrimental ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION is to THEIR country…..but ‘we’ “Americans”….nope…..we’re misguided….clueless Bozos….from Berkeley - San Francisco…Boston Chicago and New York.
Just a bunch of goofy LIBERALS…..who welcome illegals with open arms…..

Let's make one thing straight.

Pro-Business Republicans have a huge stake in NOT enforcing our immigration laws so they can have CHEAP labor.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:33 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,127,849 times
Thanks to all for participating. The thread has run its course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies