Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:12 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgokid1 View Post
But if you can't afford anything but a mediocre $150,000 home, then you will no doubt live in a place where OTHER 'Ricans or Mexicans live, because that's all that both of you can afford...

There are plenty of towns across America that are all white... Find one and move there, but indubitably within a matter of months they shall too be overrun with these mud races.
Sometimes people, with the most money are the most disrespectful & arrogant people.

Just b/c a person can't afford an expensive home doesn't mean their community has to go down the drain or that they are somehow less valuable than someone who has the bigger mortgage. A neighborhood doesn't have to turn ghetto b/c it's made up of retail workers & service industry. But the thug mentality is alive & well in the US & it is cool to draw negative attention.

It's a matter of respect, pride, & common decency. Don't come here thinking this is Puerto Rico or Cuba or Mexico. It's not. Show effort in wanting to communicate & learn the culture. It's only fair when half of the public services will be offered for free along with better chances of getting college scholarships, etc b/c of being a "minority".

Old 08-24-2007, 10:18 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,218,082 times
"Don't come here thinking this is Puerto Rico or Cuba or Mexico"

the sad thing is, orlando is filled with these puerto-ricans with this ghetto mentality. it's almost too late already.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:28 AM

11 posts, read 36,504 times
I just don't get many of you; is it so hard to learn Spanish?--our ancestors moved here and certainly did not learn the 'Native' languages--and many American communities have continued to speak their 'Native' languages for hundreds of years.

Change is a constant, and i think it's very sad so many of you refuse to acknowledge this--learn Spanish! The Hispanic population is going to only increase in The Americas, and FYI, this State was never yours to begin with.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:31 AM

I will learn fluent Spanish when they learn fluent English.

Why can't they learn English? What's so hard about learning English? Heck, many communities offer free Englsih classes. They want to work here & get the services -- Learn the language.

If I moved to Mexico, they wouldn't be hugging me & helping me along b/c I don't know Spanish.

Last edited by 121804; 08-24-2007 at 10:40 AM..

Old 08-24-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
"Don't come here thinking this is Puerto Rico or Cuba or Mexico"

the sad thing is, orlando is filled with these puerto-ricans with this ghetto mentality. it's almost too late already.
Too many people have allowed it to happen in many parts of the US. The politicans are too concerned about being politically correct to see the damage that has been done over the years.

It is a shame b/c I am sure there are many from Cuba, Mexico & Puerto Rico who are respectful, educated & work hard. But, the bad ones have overtaken the good some have probably tried to do.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:42 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_definately View Post
I just don't get many of you; is it so hard to learn Spanish?--our ancestors moved here and certainly did not learn the 'Native' languages--and many American communities have continued to speak their 'Native' languages for hundreds of years.
This is a nation descended from immigrants. As an immigrant nation, ONE unifying language is paramount for the success of the nation. You think all the hundreds of other language groups and immigrants in this nation who DON'T hail from a Spanish speaking country APPRECIATE Spanish encroachment? As someone whose father is an immigrant from a non-Spanish speaking country, let me tell you it's not fair to give special treatment to one group, simply because that group is too lazy to learn English.

NOBODY is saying they can't keep their native tongue or culture, or use it at home, but it is WRONG to accomodate anti-assimilation tendancies amongst some Latin American populations.

NO other ethnic group has resisted assimilation as much as some Latin American immigrants, and if you or others want to continue to push against the English language and try to Latinize American society, they'll have to learn to live with discrimination and prejudice and constant complaining from Americans because this time, they truly are "bringing it on themselves!"

So, shape up or ship out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_definately
Change is a constant, and i think it's very sad so many of you refuse to acknowledge this--learn Spanish! The Hispanic population is going to only increase in The Americas, and FYI, this State was never yours to begin with.

FYI, the OFFICIAL LANGUAGE of the State of Florida, as outlined in the FLORIDA STATE CONSTITUTION is ENGLISH.

This "State" "belonged" to Spain, and only a handful of people lived here under Spanish rule.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:45 AM

On the West Coast where I grew up, Seattle, the Hispanic population works incredibly hard. I never heard a negative comment about the Hispanic population until I moved to FL; however, they seem to work just as hard here as well.

In the West Coast cities, Seattle, Portland, San Fran, LA, San Diego, the white population more or less has learned spanish--it's a reality they have adopted. Why does the South East have such an issue with this? Curious.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:47 AM

It all reminds me of teenagers who puposely do certain things b/c they know it annoys their parents. Don't tell me that many who speak Spanish & pretend to not know English don't know they are irritating the situation. They do. They are not as ignorant as some think. They are playing the US for fools & winning.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_definately View Post

In the West Coast cities, Seattle, Portland, San Fran, LA, San Diego, the white population more or less has learned spanish--it's a reality they have adopted. Why does the South East have such an issue with this? Curious.
I think that those areas you mentioned had such a strong mix prior to many of the immigration issues & illegal immigrants/job debate.

There are areas of LA, San Diego, & San Francisco that are dedicated to culture. Shops, restuarants, lots of diversity. They have their issues like everyone else, but it seems it was handled much differently & probably better.

A lot of those in the SE walk around with a "better than thou" attitdue forcing their lifestyle on people.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:53 AM

TriMT7, i guess i was referring to the actual Natives.

I sort of agree with you, but i do question 'the one language' idea as it relates to culture. I know it's important for communication but doesn't this go both ways? Europe has balanced this for centuries, most countries there have several national languages-but yet one national identity. Isn't culture/identity itself an ever expanding/contracting phenomena?

I think its fair to suggest we can be multi-lingual and still maintain our cultural identities...and just because the constitution says it, doesn't mean I can't question or disagree with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies