Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:13 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times

Advertisements

I lived in Panama for 5 years and took classes to brush up on my HS spanish. There were people (mostly young who didn't want the US there) who wouldn't even try to understand, but I have heard the french are like that too. But then there were the US citizens who would talk real loud in english as if the person would understand what they were saying if they talked louder

I agree with many points here. I don't think outsourcing out of the country is good. I do not like calling and trying to talk to someone who has only a script to read and can make no decision.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:15 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
well don't hold your breath--that would require actual work, unlike watching endless football and "Idol" on TV
Very true! I was a middle school Social Studies & English teacher....know all too much the "drama" of actual work. Though, I gotta say when we were on the Ancient Greek unit in Social Studies, they got a kick out of learning the Greek alphabet.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:15 PM

20 posts, read 101,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle3 View Post
We don't need any other language but English. Besides, if educators in this great melting pot called the USA were to make it manditory that all the immigrants languages must be learned in school, that would be many languages and we would be like the tower of babel. Give me a break. Foreign languages are taught now but the reason is not to communicate with our coworkers. I learned Latin in high school. So what. I have yet to meet a Roman Gladiator with whom I can converse. Well hey, let's just switch to the peso too.
You have completely right but I saw it more in a cultural way, but this is nothing to do with culture... The first thing is that immigrants learn english in the states, but learning other languages is interesting and sometimes usefull...

Old 08-23-2007, 08:23 PM

975 posts, read 3,732,654 times
I think there's a perception among a lot of Americans that something isn't worth learning unless it's related to money-grabbing.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:25 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,500,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4Sale View Post
How can we compete when there is nothing for workers to compete for or against as big businessess are moving out of the country? Hershey's is the latest to go to Mexico where the sanitation standards aren't always the best. So much for The Great American Chocolate Bar! I hope the hurricane blows their plant away. Maybe they'll come back to PA and employ those workers back. No hurricanes in PA but there is USA pride.

We are boycotting. Dove makes a better milk choc. w/almonds bar anyway. Now to see if they're made in the USA.
Here is good news!!!!

"Eating a small, 1.6-ounce bar of dark chocolate every day is good for you. Very good for you, find Mary Engler, PhD, RN, of the University of California, San Francisco, and colleagu".

Old 08-23-2007, 08:40 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,571,923 times
well the name of this state is a Spanish term "Pascua Florida' or Flowery Easter...suck it up & learn Spanish [personal attacks, flaming, or insults.]

Last edited by sunrico90; 08-24-2007 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: personal attacks, flaming, or insults.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:50 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,218,082 times
"well the name of this state is a Spanish term "Pascua Florida' or Flowery Easter...suck it up & learn Spanish {deleted}

hell no! you all learn english!!! YOU came here. adapt. i'm so sick of this crap here in orlando. i am the only white person in wal-mart. all i hear is spanish, raggaeton, loud mufflers, and young punks walking around with their ny yankee hats on sideways. makes me cringe at times.

why do you think so namy good floridians are leaving??? we are becoming out-numbered!!! many are moving to nc, sc, tn, and ga. nicer ppl, better drivers, same pay but lower cost of living, and no need to "habla espanol."

Last edited by sunrico90; 08-24-2007 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: (orphaned posts)

Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 PM

36 posts, read 135,583 times
Nice MiamiRob, real nice! There have been many points made, not all I agree with, but a healthy respect for those sharing them. Your attitute and comment is not constructive, and I believe we bought Florida from the Spanish quite sometime ago.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:55 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,196,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
well the name of this state is a Spanish term "Pascua Florida' or Flowery Easter...suck it up & learn Spanish you {deleted}!
My Spanish can't be much worse then most of their English, I usually can't understand a word they are saying. I expect when I am talking to a city worker or a cop to have a clue to what they are talking about. If I go into a Spanish market I would expect to speak Spanish, not in city hall. When these people get these jobs based on being able to speak English, they should be able to. Who hires these people anyway?

Last edited by sunrico90; 08-24-2007 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: (orphaned posts)

Old 08-23-2007, 08:59 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,218,082 times
"Who hires these people anyway?"

hispanics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies