Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 12:10 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,030,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I do. On the checkboxes for race I check "other" and fill it in with American.
More people should start doing that.

Would really screw over "government statistics"
I do that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 12:12 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,030,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

African Americans were denied the ability to retain the knowledge regarding our countries and tribes of origin by massa.
That chip on your shoulder is awfully heavy...

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
When White People Stop Identifying Themselves As White, I'll Drop African American. Deal?
No Deal, Howie.

White and African-American are not analogous. Italian-American, Irish-American, German-American, et al would make more sense. Personally I'm a big fan of streamlining things and calling Americans American, san hyphen.

I'll continue to call African-Americans black because African-American is a racist term created by a racist man who feared black immigrants were being confused with "real" black Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy
The day that 100% of White Americans have no problem with their daughters marrying and having children with an (African) American man will be the day that we drop the "African" from American.
That's a strange comment. It's been proven many times that various ethnic groups are more likely to marry outside of their race than black American women.

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
When people like yourself stop acting like perpetual victims then maybe I will change my perception of you.
What was your perception of "people like (whomever)" from the beginning? Did you look down on them or seem them as different because of what they looked like?

Old 10-28-2011, 12:16 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,644 times
My ethnicity is Native American. My nationality is American.

Anyone who denies that people make judgements on others within the first few seconds that they see them is lying. Too often, people will judge, erroneously, I might add, based on their perception of what that person is; Black, (gang banger or lawbreaker); Indian (drunk or drinking problem); Hispanic (Illegal).

Ya'll can check whatever box you want to check, but I'm NDN (and 1/2 White). I don't need a card to prove it; and I don't need a box to check. I know the paternal side of my family have been in North America for thousands of years. Can you say the same?

Old 10-28-2011, 12:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I'll continue to call African-Americans black because African-American is a racist term created by a racist man who feared black immigrants were being confused with "real" black Americans.
Ok, let's try this. Will you agree to stop being white if "negros", "coloreds", "blacks", "African Americans" etc stop referring to themselves by any of the above, thus negating the purpose of having racial classifications.

I should have done this as a poll.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:22 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,570,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
My ethnicity is Native American. My nationality is American.

Anyone who denies that people make judgements on others within the first few seconds that they see them is lying. Too often, people will judge, erroneously, I might add, based on their perception of what that person is; Black, (gang banger or lawbreaker); Indian (drunk or drinking problem); Hispanic (Illegal).

Ya'll can check whatever box you want to check, but I'm NDN (and 1/2 White). I don't need a card to prove it; and I don't need a box to check. I know the paternal side of my family have been in North America for thousands of years. Can you say the same?
What's your point?

Old 10-28-2011, 12:52 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
There was a man that I knew who traveled the world - He looked upon the sub-continent of India where he did buisness and said of those with the darkest skin - they are white people with black skin...not that this means much - but who is black and who is white. Across the way from my place is an Ethopian Orthodox Christian church...they are black...but they seem to be white...it's an ancient race...and to me proof of the fact that we are as humans a total intermingling of all tribes and cultures. If you take a "white" man - put him by the equator for a few generations - you will get a black man - Just as we see the paled out blacks who have not intermarried become lighter and lighter due to the climate and intensity of the sun and the encouaging of pigmentaion..via - radiation...makes you wonder - or if you see a black person who is from a certain mold of human and you say to yoursefl - "I know a white person that is exactly the same type from the same mold" Eventually humanity has to give itself a break and realize that we all had the same mum...Anthropoligists call this the Eve factor.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There was a man that I knew who traveled the world - He looked upon the sub-continent of India where he did buisness and said of those with the darkest skin - they are white people with black skin...
How did you come to this conclusion?

Quote:
not that this means much - but who is black and who is white. Across the way from my place is an Ethopian Orthodox Christian church...they are black...but they seem to be white...
How did you come to this conclusion?

Quote:
it's an ancient race...and to me proof of the fact that we are as humans a total intermingling of all tribes and cultures. If you take a "white" man - put him by the equator for a few generations - you will get a black man - Just as we see the paled out blacks who have not intermarried become lighter and lighter due to the climate and intensity of the sun and the encouaging of pigmentaion..via - radiation...makes you wonder - or if you see a black person who is from a certain mold of human and you say to yoursefl - "I know a white person that is exactly the same type from the same mold" Eventually humanity has to give itself a break and realize that we all had the same mum...Anthropoligists call this the Eve factor.
Not trying to be disrespectful, but I don't think you have any idea of what anthropologists think.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:05 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,201,983 times
There is a difference between heritage/ancestry, nationality, and citizenship, although they can overlap one another. I had a debate about this with a former co-worker. It was a discussions about Hispanics and she couldn't understand how there are Puerto Ricans/Hispanics that appear to be predominately of African, European, and inbetween heritage/ancestry. First of all, the debate went underway because there is a Puerto Rican supervisor in our area that appears white, and she couldn't understand how such a white looking dude can be Puerto Rican. I tried telling her that there are racial variations within Latin-based nationalities(Puerto Rican is technically not a nationality, but yes say it is for the moment) the same way there are variations of Americans. Well she then said ''American is a citizenship, not a nationality.'' Although I knew she was wrong, I later googled the technical definition of nationality and citizenship just to make sure, though this varies from country to country. Citizenship can change, while nationality and heritage stay with you wherever you go. If I move to the Dominican Republic, I will remain an American national by virtue of being born and raised in the USA. My citizenship would be Dominican, but my birth nationality and physical heritage(African) will remain intact.

My nationality is American, but I have every right to include African as my heritage or ancestry, just as much as a White or Asian American can claim to be Irish or Chinese in heritage. Thus, why I consider myself African American.
I think heritage can pertain to a person's phenotype/physical feats, and not just customs/traditions that were pass down from generation to generation. The big mistake comes in when people confuse their heritage for their nationality. Often when you ask a person their nationality, who was born and raised in American and their parents too, they might say everything except being American, and that is just wrong. I think it is fair to say after 1st generation, aperson born and raised in American is solely American, and claiming your grandparents or your ancestor's country of birth as your nationality, is false flagging. Considering it as your heritage is fine, especially if you inherited physical feats that are typical or native to said nationality or continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies