Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 11:16 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Well...but you aren't celebrating the your ethnicity...your are celebrating the continent you came from..LOL
And you're splitting hairs to a millimeter. African American IS an ethnicity.

Quote:
If there were a European-American day or some such nonsense it might make more sense.
And that makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 11:18 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
And you're splitting hairs to a millimeter. African American IS an ethnicity.

No it isn't.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:19 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i think its apples and oranges. did you wana talk about white and black skin tone?
but if u r AA then they are european americans. european is what they call us in singapore, not white. btw we dont call them yellow we call them chinese. how bout us calling each other americans? everybody else thinks we are americans, i mean w/o the hypens.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:21 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
No it isn't.
It's my ethnicity. It's what my father's background is.

When I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror, I see an African.

When I put me feet on the floor, I know that my physical self is still in the land of my birth. So I instinctively know I am American.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:23 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Technically, everyone is of African decent. Over time humans migrated across the world and the different conditions caused humans to evolve differently to their surroundings.
People are so blind to this fact; you'd think that the Leakey family's work was a huge secret. Anybody with naturally curly hair is showing those genetics.

A Century of the Leakey Family in East Africa » A Century of the Leakey Family in East Africa

Old 10-28-2011, 11:24 AM

525 posts, read 899,891 times
So, let me get this straight next time I'm in the hood and someone calls me white boy, what do you propose I do? Do you expect I say I'm from england, I'm not white I'm european. It would seem that you op have problem of some sort. If you are so focused on race issues maybe you ought to lock yourself in the closet.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:25 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
People are so blind to this fact; you'd think that the Leakey family's work was a huge secret. Anybody with naturally curly hair is showing those genetics.

A Century of the Leakey Family in East Africa » A Century of the Leakey Family in East Africa
unfortunately putting that on a SF 171 federal employment form unless you got proof that mama is black, will get you a fine and imprisonment.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:33 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
It's my ethnicity. It's what my father's background is.

When I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror, I see an African.

When I put me feet on the floor, I know that my physical self is still in the land of my birth. So I instinctively know I am American.
I don't think you know the difference between nationality and ethnicity. Since when is African a race? Since when is American a race?

Old 10-28-2011, 11:34 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I don't think you know the difference between nationality and ethnicity. Since when is African a race? Since when is American a race?
Good point.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:48 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
True, though during the Columbus Day, Kosciuzko Day, St. Patrick's Day, Bastille Day, Oktoberfest, Hibernian and Hellenic Festivals, we certainly see people doing this. What I don't see is anyone condemning white Americans for celebrating their European culture, ancestry and heritage, so I wonder why there is such hostility toward that which is African American?
Because it's a false identity with another nation. You are American, you live in this country. It's a matter of national identity, national pride, national unity. If you want to pretend your African, then drop the American handle. Pick one, unless you be a dual citizen.
Why would I want to say I am an Irish-American? I have no ties or allegiance to Ireland, it is not my identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies