Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:39 PM

11,763 posts, read 14,702,041 times

Advertisements

Let's see, if your definition of religion is "a collection of facts and the explanations for those facts based on evidence, tested by logic and the scientific method, and subject to revision or rejection upon the presentation of opposing evidence" then you might have something there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 04:18 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,194,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboblocke View Post
Given the choice of a direct measurement by thermometers or an indirect method such as tree rings, which would you use?
Surely we can use both? Not really a choice is there for old records. The issue becomes when you graft one onto the other and present it as one set.

Quote:

Are you refering to the "Hockey Stick"? Like this figure from IPCC TAR:
The professor is talking about one of the original Hockey sticks presented to the public, politicians and scientists in 1999 on the front cover of a WMO report.

Quote:
http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/wcp/wc...mnt/wmo913.pdf

WMO STATEMENT
ON THE STATUS OF THE
GLOBAL CLIMATE IN 1999

Front cover: Northern Hemisphere temperatures were reconstructed for the past 1000 years (up to 1999) using
palaeoclimatic records (tree rings, corals, ice cores, lake sediments, etc.), along with historical and long
instrumental records. The data are shown as 50-year smoothed differences from the 1961–1990 normal.
The one on the cover:

Before it's frankefied:

Old 11-07-2011, 04:38 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,357,558 times
People are evil and must tithe to their god, World Government.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,969,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
It became a scam the minute it perverted science.

Look, man, when Einstein taught that nothing could exceed the speed of light, he went and squared it.

Einstein was a typical liberal.

Keynesian economics is exposing Einstein's scam.

Newton was the conservative one.

Everything had to be black and white for Newton.

Newton had discernible borders, man.

Al Gore is human pollution.
That, Sir, is performance art. Good show.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 AM

329 posts, read 267,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Surely we can use both? Not really a choice is there for old records. The issue becomes when you graft one onto the other and present it as one set.
But they don't present it as one set do they... read your quote from the WMO document:

Quote:
The professor is talking about one of the original Hockey sticks presented to the public, politicians and scientists in 1999 on the front cover of a WMO report.
Quote:
http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/wcp/wc...mnt/wmo913.pdf

WMO STATEMENT
ON THE STATUS OF THE
GLOBAL CLIMATE IN 1999

Front cover: Northern Hemisphere temperatures were reconstructed for the past 1000 years (up to 1999) using
palaeoclimatic records (tree rings, corals, ice cores, lake sediments, etc.), along with historical and long
instrumental records.
The data are shown as 50-year smoothed differences from the 1961–1990 normal.

The graph shows 3 different plots: but look what they're made up of: tree rings, corals, ice cores, lake sediments, etc.), along with historical and long instrumental records.

That's 6 different sorts of records plus the etc. That means on average each plot is made up of at least two sources. Now I don't know about you, but I believe that the public, politicians and scientists, that I meet are able to make that calculation without too much difficulty. YMMV.

(OK, to be honest, maybe not the politicians.)

Old 11-08-2011, 11:48 AM

20,496 posts, read 12,432,292 times
Quote:
But they don't present it as one set do they... read your quote from the WMO document:

The graph shows 3 different plots: but look what they're made up of: tree rings, corals, ice cores, lake sediments, etc.), along with historical and long instrumental records.

That's 6 different sorts of records plus the etc. That means on average each plot is made up of at least two sources. Now I don't know about you, but I believe that the public, politicians and scientists, that I meet are able to make that calculation without too much difficulty. YMMV.

(OK, to be honest, maybe not the politicians.)

What happens with the graphs if you take out the tree rings?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Now I don't know about you, but I believe that the public, politicians and scientists, that I meet are able to make that calculation without too much difficulty. YMMV.
You have Muller who just released BEST int the video saying it'deceptive and Judith Currey has this to say:

Quote:
Hiding the Decline | Climate Etc.

Bad science and/or dishonesty?
There is no question that the diagrams and accompanying text in the IPCC TAR, AR4 and WMO 1999 are misleading. I was misled. Upon considering the material presented in these reports, it did not occur to me that recent paleo data was not consistent with the historical record. The one statement in AR4 (put in after McIntyre’s insistence as a reviewer) that mentions the divergence problem is weak tea.

It is obvious that there has been deletion of adverse data in figures shown IPCC AR3 and AR4, and the 1999 WMO document. Not only is this misleading, but it is dishonest (I agree with Muller on this one). The authors defend themselves by stating that there has been no attempt to hide the divergence problem in the literature, and that the relevant paper was referenced. I infer then that there is something in the IPCC process or the authors’ interpretation of the IPCC process (i.e. don’t dilute the message) that corrupted the scientists into deleting the adverse data in these diagrams.
There is no justification for the way this graph has been presented other than deception. It's as simple as that.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:28 PM

23,644 posts, read 17,335,066 times
"That's like saying people know gravity exists are part of some religious faith because the debate is over that it exists. There is massive amounts of proof that it unequivocally exists. If people can disprove it, without fraud and misconduct, they can challenge it. That's how science works. Belief without proof is faith, knowledge with proof is truth.

Religion was the supporter of Heliocentrism, with science proving it wrong to threats of torture to Galileo by religious authorities. The only person who thinks that
Heliocentrism was a scientific or atheist doctrine was Sisyphus on Blogs 4 Brownback. If you really want to believe such a massive idiot that also thought that electrons are angels and protons are demons capable of conscious decisions and supported the genocide of the French...that's just comedy."

It is a Sysyphant task to claim global warming is due to human activity.

With regard to gravity, there are no factions arguing against its existence.
Gravity is a temporary truth.

Human caused global warming is a fraud as it pretends to represent unassailable science that must not be challenged. That is absolute proof the scientific interpretation used to defend human caused global warming is not science based. The proposed facts are demanded to be taken on faith, science ends where faith begins.

Blah, blah, blah to the esoteric, intellectual self promotion of the irrelevant links.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 PM

329 posts, read 267,838 times
Quote:
You have Muller who just released BEST int the video saying it'deceptive and Judith Currey has this to say:

There is no justification for the way this graph has been presented other than deception. It's as simple as that.
Why is it deceptive? Instead of relying on third parties, why don't you explain in your own words what the deception is?

Old 11-08-2011, 01:10 PM

LOL, I think the second graph that shows all the data without any splices, truncations or any other manipulations is explanation enough isn't it? The explantion for why they did it is very simple, lines going down will create questions and doubt especially when there is no explanation for why it's going down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies