Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,076,143 times

Advertisements

When they tied in decreasing polar ice sheets on MARS to the Suns activity, which mirrored our own Earths warming, that was pretty much it for man made global warming.
I do think we have a small effect on it, and by cutting greenhouse gasses could have an even smaller effect on that. Its something to shoot for, not critical, but nobody else is. Go to China and explain global warming to them as they increase their output of industrial emissions. But I refuse to help anybody get rich off of pushing global warming theory and economic extortion.
When people want to get back to real environmental issues like clean air, clean water, pollution and waste reduction, I'll listen. Until then, they can blather on all they want about "global warmology" and what "scienticians" say is causing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:08 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
When they tied in decreasing polar ice sheets on MARS to the Suns activity, which mirrored our own Earths warming, that was pretty much it for man made global warming.
Mars has (almost) no atmosphere and certainly no greenhouse gases to keep the planet warm. So yes, that's fine.

Introduce an opaque atmosphere with gases and clouds and the story is much more complex.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:09 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
But.....there is no warming. All temperature data says warming stopped a decade or so ago....yet Co2 is at very, very, high, dangerous levels.

I wonder how they'll explain that to the muddled masses of AGW cult believers.
The sad part is that you are all here yucking it up about GW and in the meantime our fuel driven trade imbalance is helping to suck money out of our country.

I'm pro-conservation from the viewpoint of a fiscal conservative. It's a shame that everyone bogs down on the GW issue so much so that you can't even have a reasoned conversation about alternate energy without running into immediate opposition because that sounds like "greeny AGW talk".

Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 AM

277 posts, read 228,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The sad part is that you are all here yucking it up about GW and in the meantime our fuel driven trade imbalance is helping to suck money out of our country.

I'm pro-conservation from the viewpoint of a fiscal conservative. It's a shame that everyone bogs down on the GW issue so much so that you can't even have a reasoned conversation about alternate energy without running into immediate opposition because that sounds like "greeny AGW talk".

the problem is the GW people want to blame man for a natural thing, and then only talk about a tax and not a solution

look here in the USA, we could have taken the money spend on stimulus and bailouts, and built a dozen nuclear plants, or put a solar electric system on almost every home in the USA, eliminating the need for coal fossil fuel fire plants

but no we would rather bame man and want to have another tax, for people like gore to get rich on

Old 11-04-2011, 02:25 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:

The problem there I think is that while there is some "potential" in some technologies (no, not solar, wind, etc...), but without letting the free market develop them we force ourselves down paths to which may be a dead end, impractical, etc...

I say, why waste tax payer money on researching technologies when you can have the private market who is salivating over the aspect of being the first to provide something ground breaking? When it becomes practical, viable, cost effective, etc... someone will come out with it, it is the nature of competitive progression.

Where you get standstills and costly solutions is when you throw government into the mix. Government isn't innovative, it is like the stupid kid who always is late to the conversation and arrogantly proclaiming a point everyone knew long before he entered.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:31 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Default Such divisive talk employing sensational rhetoric deprives the audience of any useful information

Judge obama's character and intent by listening to his 'all or nothing at all' rhetoric aimed at his political enemies.

What kind of leader would suggest his opponents will remove ALL Epa regs to leave people dying in the streets. All for the benefit of the 'rich' and at the sacrifice of the poor.

Such divisive talk employing sensational rhetoric deprives the audience of any useful information. A great orator would be considered a great communicator. Obama is neither. His sum total is the theatrical image the propagandist media has created for him.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:35 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Judge obama's character and intent by listening to his 'all or nothing at all' rhetoric aimed at his political enemies.

What kind of leader would suggest his opponents will remove ALL Epa regs to leave people dying in the streets. All for the benefit of the 'rich' and at the sacrifice of the poor.

Such divisive talk employing sensational rhetoric deprives the audience of any useful information. A great orator would be considered a great communicator. Obama is neither. His sum total is the theatrical image the propagandist media has created for him.
That is why Obama is a chump, some would say he was a puppet for Kennedy who was left spinning in the wind when he died.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:47 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:

That's correct. I guess that's because to many people these issues have become an ideological thing. So people are all fired up and trying to win an ideology match at any price, even if a compromise would be the better solution.
I find it OK for a government to try and guide long-term developments. Maybe I am just not ingenious enough anymore to trust in market forces alone. Sometimes people need a little push in the right direction. There are subsidies for all kinds of things such as agriculture, why not for green energy?
I think the prospect of becoming self-sufficient in energy, and that with little impact on the environment and hardly any risks to people should be very appealing to everyone.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:48 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So...... we should still be living in the cold and misery of the little ice-age?

Where is the normal climate for you people, was it the year al Gore was born, and anything that deviates from that is catastrophic and apocalyptic?

Wait.... before you post it, don't bother to link to some scammer's climate chart that shows temp increases measured from within the little ice-age, and claim it shows definitive proof of man-made global warming.
Did I say that warming was man made, or that it was a bad thing? If you think you can read my mind, then I have to tell you, you suck at it. Personally I'm looking forward to a warming world, and my house is 80 meters above sea level, so I don't even have to be concerned about being flooded out....Bring it on...The warmer climate that is.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:51 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Did I say that warming was man made, or that it was a bad thing? If you think you can read my mind, then I have to tell you, you suck at it. Personally I'm looking forward to a warming world, and my house is 80 meters above sea level, so I don't even have to be concerned about being flooded out....Bring it on...The warmer climate that is.
The problem is that temperatures are not the only thing that would change. Nobody really knows all the consequences that such a change would bring.
With 7 billion humans and just one planet we should think a zillion times before we do anything on a grand scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies