Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:01 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The problem is that temperatures are not the only thing that would change. Nobody really knows all the consequences that such a change would bring.
With 7 billion humans and just one planet we should think a zillion times before we do anything on a grand scale.
I agree, we don't know the consequences of a warmer world and I expect there will be many. I just do not see how puny humans can do anything about it. We are just along for the ride, and will have to make the best of whatever happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 03:10 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I agree, we don't know the consequences of a warmer world and I expect there will be many. I just do not see how puny humans can do anything about it. We are just along for the ride, and will have to make the best of whatever happens.
We may look puny one by one, but the actions of 7 billion of us can add up
I guess ever since humans started transforming wilderness into farmland, we have already been impacting the entire globe in various ways. And industry was the next big wave that has been spreading all over the globe.

Living conditions on Earth will change, that's for sure, and we have to somehow figure out beforehand what will happen so that we can get prepared on a global level.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:42 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Regardless of the greenhouse aspect, which most people will only believe once they are directly affected, what worries me as well is the reason behind the rise, namely that the developing world is dramatically increasing its use of fossil energies. If that trend goes on like that, energy and other resources will become scarce much faster and/or much more expensive than expected And since so many people are incapable of thinking of an alternative, low-profile life-style, I guess I am happy to neither be around anymore a few decades from now, nor have kids...
Not to mention that just a few days ago the 7 billionth human was born...
What is the optimum level of co2 to be on the planet? Does anybody even know? They say from 100 years ago to now X has gone up. So what. What is the optimum temperature of the earth. Where is the baseline set? Oh there isn't one. Quite simply we're not dealing with static data it changes by the millisecond. They take ice core samples from thousands of years ago and calculate some co2 content and run wild. It's all nonsense. As for the greenhouse effect co2 makes up .04% of it. Yippee. There is a big ball in the sky that has much more to do with our planet warming than some SUV driving down the road. Actually you should thank the co2 because according to the warmers if there weren't any we'd all freeze to death.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
The problem is that temperatures are not the only thing that would change. Nobody really knows all the consequences that such a change would bring.
With 7 billion humans and just one planet we should think a zillion times before we do anything on a grand scale.
Tell that to the folks who want to harvest the ocean by dumping iron into it or float balloons the size of football stadiums up to spew "man made volcanoes" to cool the planet. It is the loons who want to do the things on a "grand" scale.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
We may look puny one by one, but the actions of 7 billion of us can add up
I guess ever since humans started transforming wilderness into farmland, we have already been impacting the entire globe in various ways. And industry was the next big wave that has been spreading all over the globe.

Living conditions on Earth will change, that's for sure, and we have to somehow figure out beforehand what will happen so that we can get prepared on a global level.
Do you think folks in third world countries are thinking on a grand level? They want to eat. Now their leaders think the way you want because they see dollar signs by collecting these carbon credits for their "green develpment" and on and on.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:03 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,332,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
My God, WHERE do you get your "news"?

There has been NO warming for the last 13 years.

The Sea level is DECREASING.

The Glaciers AREN'T melting....but if they were, you DO know it's happened before, right?
That's right, go ahead and cherry pick your facts.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What is the optimum level of co2 to be on the planet? Does anybody even know? They say from 100 years ago to now X has gone up. So what. What is the optimum temperature of the earth. Where is the baseline set? Oh there isn't one. Quite simply we're not dealing with static data it changes by the millisecond. They take ice core samples from thousands of years ago and calculate some co2 content and run wild. It's all nonsense. As for the greenhouse effect co2 makes up .04% of it. Yippee. There is a big ball in the sky that has much more to do with our planet warming than some SUV driving down the road. Actually you should thank the co2 because according to the warmers if there weren't any we'd all freeze to death.
Of course nobody knows. However, our entire lives are tuned to the gas levels we have had over the past few thousand years. Any major departure from those, be it natural or man-made, is likely to bring more problems than benefits.

Quote:
Tell that to the folks who want to harvest the ocean by dumping iron into it or float balloons the size of football stadiums up to spew "man made volcanoes" to cool the planet. It is the loons who want to do the things on a "grand" scale.
I don't support such ideas, either. We should think of ways to shoot down meteorites before they hit earth, though. That seems more urgent on a global scale. One big hit and adios terra

Quote:
Do you think folks in third world countries are thinking on a grand level? They want to eat. Now their leaders think the way you want because they see dollar signs by collecting these carbon credits for their "green develpment" and on and on.
I agree. Trading in rights to pollute the environment - basically that's what it is - was a sick idea. But regardless of that, I am pretty pessimistic about the fate of humanity. There are too many of us and we are doing so many things the wrong way. I wouldn't know where to start fixing this mess even if I were a god...

Old 11-04-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Of course nobody knows. However, our entire lives are tuned to the gas levels we have had over the past few thousand years. Any major departure from those, be it natural or man-made, is likely to bring more problems than benefits.

I don't support such ideas, either. We should think of ways to shoot down meteorites before they hit earth, though. That seems more urgent on a global scale. One big hit and adios terra

I agree. Trading in rights to pollute the environment - basically that's what it is - was a sick idea. But regardless of that, I am pretty pessimistic about the fate of humanity. There are too many of us and we are doing so many things the wrong way. I wouldn't know where to start fixing this mess even if I were a god...
What gas levels? Carbon dioxide is a naturally occuring gas. It has been around since before the dinosaurs roamed the earth. We are here because of it.

Man may yet destroy the planet I'll agree. Well not the planet but mankind itself with nuclear weapons. The planet will survive. Thousands of years later it will bounce back. Thousands of years to the planet is but a blip to earth in it's lifetime.

As for meteors folks thought Reagan was crazy with the star wars stuff but lasers are the key to busting up a big meteor if one comes on a collision course with earth which one will. Just a matter of time.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:02 PM

I was referring to the levels of the individual gases in our atmosphere. Of course CO2 is a gas that nature can't live without, just like any other naturally occurring gas. I am worried about the changes in the percentages of each of them.

Maybe the problem with Star Wars was its military nature. Since an anti-meteor instrument would be very powerful, maybe all nations should develop it jointly, allowing every country full access to any of the underlying technology. But I am not sure if humans are ready for that without trying to abuse such knowledge...

Call me naive, but I love our planet and humans, I don't want us to destroy ourselves and/or Earth, regardless of whether Earth would recuperate or not. What's Earth without humans? To me nothing. It's like an empty restaurant...

Old 11-05-2011, 12:44 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No, I'm one of the people that is not hiding my head in the sand...I don't know how you guys can stand all that grit in your eyes and ears...I guess that is why you don't see of hear all that well, huh?

Can you see this? Climate Change: Evidence
It really is something how, according to your chart, the Earth has experienced long periods of rise and fall of all that nasty CO2 in patterns that are so much alike and then all of a sudden it went straight up from 1950. Surely there are a number of great numbers, etc showed in all those following sources and the IPCC is at the bottom of nearly every one of them

Have you ever heard of Agenda 21 that the UN has put out? Look at the things they stand for and then try to realize that IPCC and Agenda 21 are both UN supported. This tells me a lot about why we have to get the UN out of the US and the US out of the UN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies