Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 06:08 PM

99 posts, read 198,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I took down the maple leaf..( my dog is from Ontario).......cause I am trying to sell my house,..... my Michigan flag wore out...... I now fly my YOOPER flag. I wonder if anyone will be offended by that ?...... I will not put up another US flag until there is a change in Washington, IE; A President is elected , fair and square , not appointed !
I keep my US flag safe , in a locked chest. To fly it would be hypocritical .
So, the 'inconvenient truth' of it is you'd like brother Gore to be your president. Interesting. If you'd like a truly 'inconvenient truth', google Leslie Gore and have your heart truly broken.................. "It's my party...."

Old 09-09-2007, 06:50 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallylady46 View Post
Although I am not from the south, my husband is and I think your comment is totally outrageous. Believe me, ignorance does not stop at the Mason-Dixon Line because you prove that point without a doubt.

Do you think the southern United States was the only place that practiced slavery. By your account, most of the world must be a vile place because slavery was practiced all over. Does that make it right? Of course not.

For someone to come from a place like San Francisco, you have alot of hate.
Lady, do you really think that I would be offended by anyone who calls me ignorant and intolerant because I criticized the symbol of supreme ignorance, the confederate flag? Please, be serious.

I guess it may appear like I have a lot of hate, but I am just good at using words to convey what I mean.

Also, why should it matter that slavery was practiced elsewhere in the world? Does this somehow justify its practice in the south? Did I say that the world was a horrible place because slavery was practiced in the south or did I make a statement about southern people who supported slavery as being the worst type of people in the world? Revisiting this, this was supposed to be the most developed country in the world. Why would a segment of the country engage in such atrocious behavior violating the human rights of another people to such a degree? Shouldn't they have known better?

Don't misinterpret my comments again when you give me your answer, and by all means grab your husband and give this thread the benefit of your joint opinion of the confederate flag.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:04 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don D. View Post
So, the 'inconvenient truth' of it is you'd like brother Gore to be your president. Interesting. If you'd like a truly 'inconvenient truth', google Leslie Gore and have your heart truly broken.................. "It's my party...."
No , not Gore , ......you see , well I guess you do not SEE. Thats the problem with the righties, they only follow. I wonder just how bad things will get before they wake up and smell the coffee, and not the kool aid...............

Old 09-10-2007, 03:19 AM

99 posts, read 198,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfush View Post
Did I say that the world was a horrible place because slavery was practiced in the south or did I make a statement about southern people who supported slavery as being the worst type of people in the world?
What you continue refusing to accept is that this entire nation was engaged in slave trading and slavery at that time in our history. I think we have all acknowledged that it was, by today's standards, an insufferable practice. But, what you should understand is that the practice was not limited to, begun by or sanctioned only in the Southern states.

You will not accept the relevance of slavery being a worldwide reality, yet you don't even know that it was widespread throughout America (in practice and acceptance) in the mid 1800s. Your knowledge is limited, your understanding skewed and your anger misdirected; and, since the facts are here *for* you, there's no excuse for not having them.

You earlier stated that you had no interest in reading the entire thread (and only dropped by to cast your vote) so it's understandable that you don't have basic facts. You would do yourself a nice service if you would go back to about page 15 and read forward. Again, since you don't have the energy or inclination to educate yourself (I will), although there were more slaves in the states that would later form the Confederacy, slavery was a national institution. Slavery was begun by northerners and northern politicians, merchants and the entire national economy benefitted from the practice. The ships that brought slaves to this country were operated initially out of northern ports and flew under the American flag. The list of prominent northern politicians who owned slaves is lengthy.

So, please, enough of this crying foul in the South. Educate yourself. Take a look at reality through a prism, not a pinhole. I'm convinced you can do this....Even though you seem like a fairly dense fellow, we Southerners always have hope, even for the dense among us.

I'm reminded of the guy who said, "My opinion is my opinion. Don't confuse me with the facts."

Old 09-10-2007, 03:48 AM

Quote:
What you continue refusing to accept is that this entire nation was engaged in slave trading and slavery at that time in our history. I think we have all acknowledged that it was, by today's standards, an insufferable practice. But, what you should understand is that the practice was not limited to, begun by or sanctioned only in the Southern states.

You will not accept the relevance of slavery being a worldwide reality, yet you don't even know that it was widespread throughout America (in practice and acceptance) in the mid 1800s. Your knowledge is limited, your understanding skewed and your anger misdirected; and, since the facts are here *for* you, there's no excuse for not having them.

You earlier stated that you had no interest in reading the entire thread (and only dropped by to cast your vote) so it's understandable that you don't have basic facts. You would do yourself a nice service if you would go back to about page 15 and read forward. Again, since you don't have the energy or inclination to educate yourself (I will), although there were more slaves in the states that would later form the Confederacy, slavery was a national institution. Slavery was begun by northerners and northern politicians, merchants and the entire national economy benefitted from the practice. The ships that brought slaves to this country were operated initially out of northern ports and flew under the American flag. The list of prominent northern politicians who owned slaves is lengthy.

So, please, enough of this crying foul in the South. Educate yourself. Take a look at reality through a prism, not a pinhole. I'm convinced you can do this....Even though you seem like a fairly dense fellow, we Southerners always have hope, even for the dense among us.

I'm reminded of the guy who said, "My opinion is my opinion. Don't confuse me with the facts."
The South lost the War...........and then came the carpetbaggers. I have many southern friends who still haven't got over the " war of northern aggression".........." the late unpleasantness"..........and then there are my native American friends, my black friends , the list goes on, it never stops.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:16 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Quote:

My southern friend, you know nothing about me except the fact that I have been able to rile some southern feathers with my opinion about the confederate flag. I'm not here to change you. What in God's name makes you think that I could use some of your "southern" enlightenment?

Spare me the southern spin. My opinion of that symbol of ignorance still stands. Doesn't phase me in the least that you disagree. Such is life.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:52 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,191,469 times
Quote:
My southern friend, you know nothing about me except the fact that I have been able to rile some southern feathers with my opinion about the confederate flag. I'm not here to change you. What in God's name makes you think that I could use some of your "southern" enlightenment?
Actually you haven't riled us at all. I actually feel sorry for you and your potential clients once you finish your degree. Saw your post here

Bless you heart, good luck in your endeavors, I suspect you will need it. Liz

Old 09-10-2007, 08:19 AM

382 posts, read 954,635 times
Quote:

Spare me the southern spin. My opinion of that symbol of ignorance still stands. Doesn't phase me in the least that you disagree. Such is life.
Wow, talk about closed minded. So far only name calling, nothing of substance from such an enlightened person. Sounds like your the one that is "riled up". Where did you learn these misconceptions about Southern people and why do you care whether someone likes the confederate flag?

Old 09-10-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
Wow, talk about closed minded. So far only name calling, nothing of substance from such an enlightened person. Sounds like your the one that is "riled up". Where did you learn these misconceptions about Southern people and why do you care whether someone likes the confederate flag?
So much can be learned from our History. Its too bad , some people only want to hear what furthers their agenda , or , supports a way of thinking.We are a nation that is not that old , in the world order way , unfortunately history has been slanted , ( depending on where you live, and don't ) many times in books , and in schools , incorrectly.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:33 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
Also, why should it matter that slavery was practiced elsewhere in the world? Does this somehow justify its practice in the south?
No it doesn't, but in your own arguement you ironically defend the stance of most "pro-flaggers" since the original intent of the flag (by the people who made and actually used it during the War) had nothing at all to do (directly) with slavery.

Example:

Egypt is world famous for their slavery in ancient times. The slaves built the pyramids, temples, cities etc.

Egypt proudly uses its past to gain revenue from tourists. Though they enslaved hundreds of thousands, the idea of selling t-shirts with the Sphinx or Egyption hieroglifics (sp?) is only supposed to be about the architecture and secondarily, ancient Egyptian culture by itself; apart from the slaves or with the slavery an afterthought, at best.

I've never heard anyone suggest that promoting anything to do with ancient Egypt in modern times has anything to do with anti-semitism. Instead it seems to promote "Hey, look at this funky looking picture-language" or "Cleopatra sure had a really cool wardrobe and hair style."

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 09-10-2007 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies