Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 08:05 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
But he's been fired based on allegations against another individual. That other individual is innocent until proven guilty following a judgement of the facts. Paterno lost his job based on allegations.

[if the allegations prove to be true, by all means roll the heads but the actions taken by the university thus far are rather hasty]
The university's standard of proof can be whatever it wants it to be. They not need a jury conviction to terminate someone. They have police reports an eyewitness and thats enough for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:08 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
No, it shouldn't. This was a case involving one person who was accused of acting inappropriately; the Catholic church involved multiple incidents, and there was an institutional practice of keeping the scandals within the confines of Canon law.

It proves nothing of the sort. What it proves is that people have a hard time confronting someone they trust and admire about a potentially ugly truth.

What they did was wrong, and people suffered severely for it -- no doubt about that. But the bad judgment of these individuals neither proves nor disproves the goodness of humanity. It just shows how hard it is for people to confront the ugly truth about people they think they know.

Joe Paterno probably made a terrible decision not to go further with this information, but that doesn't mean that he's not a good person. People can be good and they can make terrible decisions, which turn out to be costly.
Nope, nope. If you suspected someone raped a child, and you do nothing to report it, you are NOT a good person.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:10 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
He looked the other way after it was brought to his attention. He passed the buck on to the administration. He never confronted Sandusky, he never reported it to PA police, he basically just sat around with his thumbs up his ass.

All that's needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. If JoePa was a good man he would have done SOMETHING. This whole "he followed the uni's policy" cop-out is like the old "I was only following orders" defense at Nuremberg.
Good post!

And what a few posters are missing is that Paterno has PUBLICLY admitted he should've done more.....he didn't , and should have to pay the price...

Old 11-10-2011, 08:11 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
I have some Questions .
Other than 2nd hand information , from another coach , who didn't call 911 is there some fact based information , that I do not see that tells us Paterno knew that children were being violated ?

This Coach Paterno ( I am not a collage football fan ) is a coach of grown men ( students over 18 ) Where did the little kids come from ?

What is the relationship between the young children and Paterno ? Did the parents trust Paterno with the welfare of small children ?

How is this Paternos fault ?
Why does all of this come down on him ?
His employee(Sandusky) is his responsibility. And the report from the other coach is not second hand. The guy saw Sandusky raping the kid in the shower, he did not hear it from someone else.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:13 AM

181 posts, read 234,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Gay pedophiles are where ever they need to be, to get to the children. This is why most common sense people want to exclude gays from coaching children's sports or acting as their guidance councilors.

Wow! SO many things wrong with this statement. First, why would college football be where he would go? If he wants to be where children are then why wouldn't he coach hs football.

Second, gay men like gay men. Pedophiles like children. Keeping men who like other men from coaching children's sports or acting as their guidance councilors is not the answer.

I think pedophiles are conniving pieces of crap human beings and should be executed.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:17 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
I have some Questions .
Other than 2nd hand information , from another coach , who didn't call 911 is there some fact based information , that I do not see that tells us Paterno knew that children were being violated ?

This Coach Paterno ( I am not a collage football fan ) is a coach of grown men ( students over 18 ) Where did the little kids come from ?

What is the relationship between the young children and Paterno ? Did the parents trust Paterno with the welfare of small children ?

How is this Paternos fault ?
Why does all of this come down on him ?
Sandusky was coaching for him until he retired in 1999, some of the sexual assaults took place while he was still a coach. Aside from that fact, if someone in your organization who you were close to, was accused of raping a child do you just elevate it and move on.

He continued to have access to these kids in spite of his history, do you think somewhere along the line Paterno should have asked some serious questions since this never was elevated to the police.

By the way where was Sanduskys wife when these kids were sleeping over his house, she had to have some knowledge of what was going on. The university top to bottom turned a blind eye to Sandusky.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
The university does not need to find Paterno or anyone else guilty of anything to fire them.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Let's get back to the heterosexual pervert slimeball named Sandusky and ....

what about his family....they didn't have a clue????? Oh, really....

Old 11-10-2011, 08:27 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Only in your world is rape of children as "morally dubious" as gay marriage and abortion.
Only in the minds of the godless is the killing of unborn children a "right". No one is saying child rape is ok but at least they had a chance to live. Also Paterno did what was legally required to do, I find this pontificating about his moral duty from the immoral MSM absurd.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:33 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
He looked the other way after it was brought to his attention. He passed the buck on to the administration. He never confronted Sandusky, he never reported it to PA police, he basically just sat around with his thumbs up his ass.

All that's needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. If JoePa was a good man he would have done SOMETHING. This whole "he followed the uni's policy" cop-out is like the old "I was only following orders" defense at Nuremberg.
The fact of the matter is Joe Paterno was a recipient of heresay. His testimony would not even be allowed in a court of law. Potentially destroying someone's life over heresay is a big deal. He did not witness the event and moved the allegations up the chain of command.

Frankly if a young man came to me and said he witnessed another man raping a child my first question to him would be why didn't you intervene?
It seems unfathomable that a man can witness such an act and not be immediately revolted into action. I would conclude that he is either lying or not telling the truth and would put the onus back on him to report it to the police since he witnessed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies